Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
Loren
What?
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,020
Nothing wrong with Rota wheels. I bought a set of Rota Circuit 8's for my Saturn back about 1999. Autocrossed them, street drove them, they saw ice, snow, road salt, etc. They went on my Miata for another 3 years of street, autocross and track use after I sold the Saturn and moved back to FL. Sold them to another Miata guy, he ran them for a few years, then sold them to another Miata guy... and I still see those wheels every time I go to one of the local Miata club meetings.

Rota is "cool" in same way that a freakin' Yaris is cool! It's not the highest performance option, but it is inexpensive, fairly light weight and gets the job done!
__________________

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
HTM Yaris
resident senior
 
HTM Yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: south Carolina
Posts: 819
The reason why peeps hate Rotas are b/c there are a couple of vids out there showing the Rotas breaking completely off the hub . It turned out to be an isolated incident .
__________________
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Rotas suck ass b/c they blatantly steal their designs from reputable manufactures to cater towards the individuals who want the "look" of expensive wheels but don't want the spend it (for whatever reason, viable or not).

I'd be 100% less pissed off at Rota if they actually designed their own shit, instead they steal from other companies to make a $$.

Although if Rota actually spent $$ designing wheels they wouldn't cost $70 a pop. :lol:

they have their place in our market b/c people love cheap knockoffs, doesn't make me "snobish" b/c I respect intellectual property.

My attitude goes towards all knock off companies not just Rota. Drag, Konig are two examples more popular on here.

Will your Rotas suddenly esprode while driving? no.

Look into wheel manufactures who are less expensive but still design their own shit, stop supporting the knock offs!!

/rant

:D
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #22
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,942
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Team Dynamics All THE WAY!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #23
enviri
 
enviri's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,453
i love my rota circuit 8s...running thru shitty mass/ct/ny roads full of potholes on the highway makes me cringe, and they are TPMS friendly lol
sure there are some signs that visual quality isnt good, or very smooth (take close look at pic)...but its a solid wheel. i did have to take a hammer once or twice to fix a couple booboos, though.

enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
Team Dynamics All THE WAY!
or Enkei, or the Work Emotion Series or GramLights

:)
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #25
Loren
What?
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,020
I can't speak for everyone else, but I didn't buy my Rotas because they were styled like another wheel. In fact, I didn't even realize that the Circuit 8 was a knock-off wheel when I bought it. I bought it because it was cheap, light and I didn't hate the way it looked.

As was said earlier in this thread: Cheap, Light, Strong... pick 3. With Rota, you're picking cheap and light.

And I don't buy the "stolen intellectual property" bit. I owned a set of actual Volk CE28N's after the Rota Circuit 8's. While the design is "similar", it is absolutely NOT the same. Rota simply made a wheel that had a similar appearance. It is designed BY ROTA to work with Rota's casting methods rather than Volks forging methods. Compare the "same" wheel in the same size, you'll find the Volk is about 2/3 the weight of the Rota. That's not magic! There's less aluminum in the Volk wheel to make it lighter, the strength is retained by careful design and the forging process. It would be impossible to "copy" that design and make a HEAVIER wheel... if Rota were to copy it and just cast it, they'd end up with a wheel that weighed about the same, but was VERY weak.
__________________

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I can't speak for everyone else, but I didn't buy my Rotas because they were styled like another wheel. In fact, I didn't even realize that the Circuit 8 was a knock-off wheel when I bought it. I bought it because it was cheap, light and I didn't hate the way it looked.

As was said earlier in this thread: Cheap, Light, Strong... pick 3. With Rota, you're picking cheap and light.

And I don't buy the "stolen intellectual property" bit. I owned a set of actual Volk CE28N's after the Rota Circuit 8's. While the design is "similar", it is absolutely NOT the same. Rota simply made a wheel that had a similar appearance. It is designed BY ROTA to work with Rota's casting methods rather than Volks forging methods. Compare the "same" wheel in the same size, you'll find the Volk is about 2/3 the weight of the Rota. That's not magic! There's less aluminum in the Volk wheel to make it lighter, the strength is retained by careful design and the forging process. It would be impossible to "copy" that design and make a HEAVIER wheel... if Rota were to copy it and just cast it, they'd end up with a wheel that weighed about the same, but was VERY weak.
the Circuit 8's are not CE28N knock offs. they are knock offs of a Mugen wheel.



you need to look more at the Rota "lineup"

they steal every wheel from someone else, if you don't think so you just aren't familiar with the wheel they stole it from haha.

If you'd like examples of this i'd be more than happy to give you them, but there is no way you can't "buy" the intellectual property bit b/c it's 100% true.

All the other arguments against Rota have been beaten like a deadhorse, Generally if I were to get into an accident I'd prefer the wheel to stay attached to the hoop.....

alot of manufactures use "similar" designs but they make subtle changes to be able to call it their own. Rota takes these subtle changes and adds them to their wheels so they "Look" the same. haha.
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #27
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,942
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
While the design is "similar", it is absolutely NOT the same. Rota simply made a wheel that had a similar appearance.

It would be impossible to "copy" that design and make a HEAVIER wheel...

if Rota were to copy it and just cast it, they'd end up with a wheel that weighed about the same, but was VERY weak.
sorry to say this, Russelltheirate, but he's right..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Strange how similar the Mugen and the Rota are visually.....:vomit:
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #29
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,942
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
Strange how similar the Mugen and the Rota are visually.....:vomit:
YES, visually..

and the buck stops there.

i think that toyota could sue subaru for copying their front ends since 1996 (compare corolla to impreza) if we all lived by the "visual property is the same as intellectual property" rule..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #30
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
sorry to say this, Russelltheirate, but he's right..
so they add a little extra metal so the wheels don't explode, they sure as shit use the EXACT same visual design.

If you'd like I can go back and add the word "Visual" to all of my previous posts.

and Rota has had a few "issues" with wheels that were cast too "light" and they straight fell apart.
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #31
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
YES, visually..

and the buck stops there.

i think that toyota could sue subaru for copying their front ends since 1996 (compare corolla to impreza) if we all lived by the "visual property is the same as intellectual property" rule..
haha see, this proves the point of taking a design and making subtle changes.

for example.

Advan RG2, and GramLight 57Maximum both basic 6 spokes with a bit of concave built into the shape.

but the RG2 has slightly skinnier spokes and doesn't have the (pain in the ass while cleaning) nipples on the hoop like the 57Maximum does.

:)
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #32
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,942
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
haha see, this proves the point of taking a design and making subtle changes.

for example.

Advan RG2, and GramLight 57Maximum both basic 6 spokes with a bit of concave built into the shape.

but the RG2 has slightly skinnier spokes and doesn't have the (pain in the ass while cleaning) nipples on the hoop like the 57Maximum does.

:)
57maximums are for ricers anyway..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #33
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
57maximums are for ricers anyway..
hey now.
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #34
severous01
 
Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
Rotas suck ass b/c they blatantly steal their designs from reputable manufactures to cater towards the individuals who want the "look" of expensive wheels but don't want the spend it (for whatever reason, viable or not).

I'd be 100% less pissed off at Rota if they actually designed their own shit, instead they steal from other companies to make a $$.

Although if Rota actually spent $$ designing wheels they wouldn't cost $70 a pop. :lol:

Look into wheel manufactures who are less expensive but still design their own shit, stop supporting the knock offs!!

/rant

:D

wow...so what you're saying is that u hate rota because they copy? a lot....actually most rims i see that are popular now are knockoffs of Eagle-alloy's wheels from the early 90's when people wanted something better for their mustangs and camaro's. just about any 5-star or 6-star, twist design or 3-star wheel is some sort of eagle design...

plus there's only so much you can do with a wheel....it's a freakin circle with cut out design on it...and there's only so much that will actually look good when it's all said and done. so if someone can do it cheaper than the factory and the high-end companies, i'll take it. they may not use t-6061 billet or run an extreme polish on it, but i can deal with that. and powdercoat will chip like paint, so i would rather have painted wheels so i can blast and re-coat them. also, some alloys can't be repaired, the cheaper wheels can be with simple welders and a guy who knows what hes' doing.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #35
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
wow...so what you're saying is that u hate rota because they copy? a lot....actually most rims i see that are popular now are knockoffs of Eagle-alloy's wheels from the early 90's when people wanted something better for their mustangs and camaro's. just about any 5-star or 6-star, twist design or 3-star wheel is some sort of eagle design...

plus there's only so much you can do with a wheel....it's a freakin circle with cut out design on it...and there's only so much that will actually look good when it's all said and done. so if someone can do it cheaper than the factory and the high-end companies, i'll take it. they may not use t-6061 billet or run an extreme polish on it, but i can deal with that. and powdercoat will chip like paint, so i would rather have painted wheels so i can blast and re-coat them. also, some alloys can't be repaired, the cheaper wheels can be with simple welders and a guy who knows what hes' doing.
There are plenty of variations a company can do to make their wheels different.

look at RPF1s and Kosei K1TS's

basic split six spoke with slight changes.

All I'm saying is Rota would have significantly less sales if they didn't steal their designs and therefore they'd be more expensive and the people who buy them b/c they are cheap wouldn't b/c they wouldn't be cheap anymore.

Nothing wrong with a wheel getting "inspiration" from another wheel, but an exact knock off? come on now, oh well. Nothing I can do. I was just answering the OP's initial question.
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #36
ChinoCharles
Banned
 
Drives: LB
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
All I'm saying is Rota would have significantly less sales if they didn't steal their designs and therefore they'd be more expensive and the people who buy them b/c they are cheap wouldn't b/c they wouldn't be cheap anymore.
The way I see it, those overseas companies would make MORE money if they offered some middle-of-the-road choices. I'd love to rock some Volk's, but I'm not spending $400 a corner when I can get wheels for $100 a corner that work just fine.

Nike makes $45 shoes, you know.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh I am so mad my dealership had the wrong gap on my plugs joeharth Fuel Economy Forum 10 03-25-2009 05:26 PM
Wrong cruise control kit... nbays1 DIY / Maintenance / Service 11 12-31-2008 04:18 PM
Sorry if its in wrong section! jetaimejsc Items for Sale by private party 5 05-22-2007 05:17 PM
why do people hate rota's sdmf Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 50 05-04-2007 09:05 AM
Will this work or I got the wrong harness? TDL In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 2 04-19-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.