Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
This is the one I have and like a lot!

Ultra Racing 19mm

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Ult...R-AR19-100.htm

D.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Thanks Derek!

Quote:
has anyone tried this:

GTSPEC Rear Sway Link Brace Toyota Yaris 07+http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...7-p-47147.html
I sell those. They do help stiffen the rear end, but not the same thing as a sway bar and not the same effect, either.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
do the hatchbacks and sedans have the same frame? one swaybar will work on both models?
goliath1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #22
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Yes, as far as I know the TRD and Ultra Racing swaybars are universal between the sedan and hatchback.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
Falconeer
Bayou Blue Pearl.

Drives: Yaris 5D Liftback Full Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Not a swaybar. Impossible for it to have the effect of a swaybar with those bushings on the center section.

i THOUGHT SO TOO! Cause according to my understanding it has to be a stiff bar without joints to transfer the weight effect on the inner tire. With the bushings that seems not right. Maybe its something else.
BOSCH 8000k HID Headlights, BOSCH 8000k HID Fog Lights. BOSCH Horn. 30% tint all round. 70% Tint mirror-finish tint on front wind shield. TRD Leather Shift Knob, Leather Steering Wheel, TRD Emblem. Height adjustable driver's seat is cool! and... That great armrest from ebay
Falconeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Front sway bars have two bushings, though.

Our rear axle is single beam, so it's not really a sway bar; it's a torsion bar.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #25
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Front sway bars have two bushings, though.

Our rear axle is single beam, so it's not really a sway bar; it's a torsion bar.
I've been trying to figure out this for a while. I have a rear swaybar on the RX-7 but it attaches to the body underneath. Does this do the same thing on the yaris or does it just attach from one side to the other on the stuts?
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #26
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anexrx7 View Post
I've been trying to figure out this for a while. I have a rear swaybar on the RX-7 but it attaches to the body underneath. Does this do the same thing on the yaris or does it just attach from one side to the other on the stuts?
It attaches to the shock and the shock mount(2 bolts each side) underneath the car.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #27
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anexrx7 View Post
As Cali hinted at above, the Yaris rear "swaybar" isn't a real swaybar. It behaves like a swaybar, but it is really just a torsion bar that reinforces the twist beam rear axle. Hence no frame mounting and no end links, etc.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #28
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer View Post
I am a total Noob to suspension mods. Can someone tell me how much and what difference would a sway bar make to my Yaris?

Thanks!
Buy one. You'll notice a huge difference.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #29
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
As Cali hinted at above, the Yaris rear "swaybar" isn't a real swaybar. It behaves like a swaybar, but it is really just a torsion bar that reinforces the twist beam rear axle. Hence no frame mounting and no end links, etc.
Wow, so it makes that much difference? That is crazy.
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Since one end of the rear "sway bar" that's connected to the suspension is directly connected to the other side of the suspension, when turning, the bar does offer resistance to reduce the outboard suspension from comopressing and therefore limits body roll.

I have a 23mm bar from Garm and it makes a significant improverment in handeling.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #31
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
sorry to threadjack but will a 23mm swaybar be better for stability on the highway? its windy in norcal where im at and i have to fight the wander on the highway... thanks
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #32
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vang View Post
sorry to threadjack but will a 23mm swaybar be better for stability on the highway? its windy in norcal where im at and i have to fight the wander on the highway... thanks
Good question.

I commute with my Yaris on a interstate type highway.
With the 23mm sway bar, the car is more stable at highway speeds, quick lane changes are much more secure and safer. Wander is eliminated for the most part except in very strong cross winds but, I have a HB and I assume it is more prone to wander in strong winds due to its shape. Also, I have the crap OEM Goodyear tires for now.

I feel much more secure at highway speed with the sway bar.

Last edited by RedRide; 05-07-2010 at 06:40 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #33
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Good question.

I commute with my Yaris on a interstate type highway.
With the 23mm sway bar, the car is more stable at highway speeds, quick lane changes are much more secure and safer. Wander is eliminated for the most part except in very strong cross winds but, I have a HB and I assume it is more prone to wander in strong winds due to its shape. Also, I have the crap OEM Goodyear tires for now.

I feel much more secure at highway speed with the sway bar.
alright thanks. im running on 16"s with nitto neogens 205/45/16s everything else stock... the 23mm is very tempting, but if i can get a 19mm bar and save some $$$ while still having the same stability on the highway then all the better
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #34
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I bought the red TRD bar, anybody know what the thickness is on those?

PS; get a sway bar if you don't already have one. Mine's the only suspension mod I have and it's NOT a waste of $!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #35
Mister Z

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I bought the red TRD bar, anybody know what the thickness is on those?

PS; get a sway bar if you don't already have one. Mine's the only suspension mod I have and it's NOT a waste of $!
I believe the TRD is 19 mm
Mister Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #36
Falconeer
Bayou Blue Pearl.

Drives: Yaris 5D Liftback Full Options
so who has 19 and who's got 23? Which one is better?
BOSCH 8000k HID Headlights, BOSCH 8000k HID Fog Lights. BOSCH Horn. 30% tint all round. 70% Tint mirror-finish tint on front wind shield. TRD Leather Shift Knob, Leather Steering Wheel, TRD Emblem. Height adjustable driver's seat is cool! and... That great armrest from ebay
Falconeer is offline   Reply With Quote