Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #19
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Ok good info, I am dead set on some 15x8 My car is lowered with Tanabe DF210 Does any one have 15x8 with this set up? and what would be the best offset? I am usually the only person in this car and the set up will be only for those extra special occasions (car shows, meets, etc...) I currently have some 15x6.5 and i see i have a some room to work with, so I am assuming no one has this set up yet, because It all sound like guesses to me (yes i am sure they are VERY educated guessses, none the less) If no definite answers are out there, i guess, I have to go the trial and error route.
contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #20
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
higher than +23mm i'll tell ya that much.
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #21
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
Ok good info, I am dead set on some 15x8 My car is lowered with Tanabe DF210 Does any one have 15x8 with this set up? and what would be the best offset? I am usually the only person in this car and the set up will be only for those extra special occasions (car shows, meets, etc...) I currently have some 15x6.5 and i see i have a some room to work with, so I am assuming no one has this set up yet, because It all sound like guesses to me (yes i am sure they are VERY educated guessses, none the less) If no definite answers are out there, i guess, I have to go the trial and error route.

Like I said, use the calculator and take some measurments. Your main concern is strut and inner fenderwell clearance in the front. It is going to rub.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #22
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
On a side not does anyone know if 17x7.5 on a +42 Offset will rub? I'm planning on running 205/40/17 thanks!
no you are fine
Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #23
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
+40-42 you will clear with minor rubbing on the inside plastics, so some trimming may be needed
Old 04-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #24
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
You may be "dead set" but it is a far from ideal set up. You will rub no matter what offset. You are going to need to run a lower numerical offset than higher, because rubbing on the outside can somewhat be fixed. If you feel like hacking up your wheel wells though, be my guest. A 15x7 with a 205 tire will be just fine for any use. Why the desperate need for a 8" wide wheel?

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #25
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
On a side not does anyone know if 17x7.5 on a +42 Offset will rub? I'm planning on running 205/40/17 thanks!
Hey tell me how it feels like.

I'm running on 205 45 17, make sure u lower ur car tho..mine looks super cartoonish, ur will look more cartoonish if u dont lower it..(more gap between tire and car.

My next plan is to go 215 40 17...
**Running 17 7.5

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #26
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
You may be "dead set" but it is a far from ideal set up. You will rub no matter what offset. You are going to need to run a lower numerical offset than higher, because rubbing on the outside can somewhat be fixed. If you feel like hacking up your wheel wells though, be my guest. A 15x7 with a 205 tire will be just fine for any use. Why the desperate need for a 8" wide wheel?
maybe he realy likes the look of the 8 inch wide, as I was dead set on craming a 8.9 inch wide tire up under a yaris, how is this any different?
Just let people do what they want to there car, lets not ask questions like "Why the desperate need for....." that is just childish... lets just give the man his information, and some of our personal experience, and a few suggestion.... come on guys lets clean up this Forum
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #27
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
maybe he realy likes the look of the 8 inch wide, as I was dead set on craming a 8.9 inch wide tire up under a yaris, how is this any different?
Just let people do what they want to there car, lets not ask questions like "Why the desperate need for....." that is just childish... lets just give the man his information, and some of our personal experience, and a few suggestion.... come on guys lets clean up this Forum

Clean up this forum? That would involve executing the tire nazi. Remember, you're the guy that things 7 and 8 inch wide wheels both running the same offsets, sit at the same place in the wheelwell. Relax buddy.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #28
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Clean up this forum? That would involve executing the tire nazi. Remember, you're the guy that things 7 and 8 inch wide wheels both running the same offsets, sit at the same place in the wheelwell. Relax buddy.
I am relaxed.... and you are taking what I am sayin about 7 and 8 inch wide wheels and there offsets out of context... because if you were to run a 225/50R15 on a 15x7 with a +38, the position of that tire will be unchanged going to a 15x8 with a +38.... and that is all I have been saying all along..
and that is 100% true, no matter what tire, or offset calulator you run that though
Old 04-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #29
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

That's incorrect, a 225 sitting on a 15x8 ET38 will not sit in the same place as a 225 sitting on a a 15x7 ET38, what tire shop did you work at again? A 1" wider wheel will put roughly 13mm's more on either side of the tire, both on the shock side and the fender side.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #30
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I for one would love to cram a 15x8 with a 235 under my car, and I would be more than willing to modify the fender well to accommodate. Why? Grip. Sure, there are some downsides to a rim that wide, but I'll take the good with the bad.

Also, Rota makes their Slipstreams in a 15x8, 4x100 application. One of my favorite rims. Keep talking about this... what would it take to make it work without rubbing on a mild drop like what you get with TRD springs or NF210's.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 AM   #31
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
I am relaxed.... and you are taking what I am sayin about 7 and 8 inch wide wheels and there offsets out of context... because if you were to run a 225/50R15 on a 15x7 with a +38, the position of that tire will be unchanged going to a 15x8 with a +38.... and that is all I have been saying all along..
and that is 100% true, no matter what tire, or offset calulator you run that though
Quote:
That's incorrect, a 225 sitting on a 15x8 ET38 will not sit in the same place as a 225 sitting on a a 15x7 ET38, what tire shop did you work at again? A 1" wider wheel will put roughly 13mm's more on either side of the tire, both on the shock side and the fender side.
Dammit you guys are BOTH right.

I hope this picture can help clear things up a bit:

Black Yaris is saying that between 7" and 8" widths, the same width tire will remain in the same position if the offset is unchanged. Take a good look and you'll see this is true, just as nimble pointed out, the RIM will extend 13mm in BOTH directions, and the tire will remain centered. You're both agreeing on this part

The tire will only be moved in or out if the offset is changed. So, the offset comes into play when calculating the distance between the outer edge of the tire, and the inner wheel well and outer fender. This is where things get tricky, as it is really a function of tire width and not rim width.

AND REMEMBER! This is confusing, a smaller positive offset means that your wheel sticks OUT more than a bigger positive offset. It's hard to visualize this in your head, so look at this picture, it should clear things up:

On my car I have 215 width tires, and the rim's offset is 42mm. Now, the front wheels stick out a little more than the back due to my disc brake's hub being a little thicker than stock and acting as a spacer. So, the effective offset for the front wheels is more like 40 or 38mm, and you can see this best in this picture:

You can see, as far as 215 tires go, that's a perfect fit. If I had wider tires on it (235 or 245mm), they would not stretch inward so much relative to the rim, and I would definitely have some rubbing on the outer fender, in which case a bigger offset would be prefered, to tuck the wheel back in a little and achieve a flush fit on the outside.

On the inside, though, the extra tire width and increased offset may cause some rubbing as a result, and that is where fender rolling comes into play, physically extending the volume in which the tire and wheel can move when the suspension is under load, or when the steering wheel is being turned.

PS I hate this stuff, it confuses the hell out of me and gives me massive headaches, but that's the best way to learn

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #32
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
The reality is, were bickering over 7mm of offset when the rim is 25.4mm (1 inch) wider than the recommended 7 inches. Like Nimble said, that's adding about 13mm to both sides. 38mm, 45mm, and everything in-between WILL rub on both the inside and outside. You want to modify your car to squeeze 8 inch wheels under it, pick your poison.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #33
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I for one would love to cram a 15x8 with a 235 under my car, and I would be more than willing to modify the fender well to accommodate. Why? Grip. Sure, there are some downsides to a rim that wide, but I'll take the good with the bad.

Also, Rota makes their Slipstreams in a 15x8, 4x100 application. One of my favorite rims. Keep talking about this... what would it take to make it work without rubbing on a mild drop like what you get with TRD springs or NF210's.
You dont need an 8 inch wide wheel on this car, unless you want it for looks. Yea you could do 8 in. for autocross etc. and maybe see a benefit but that is it. You won't gain anymore grip on the street with 7in vs. 8in wheels and tires, you will just be adding more weight. I was looking at getting the 16X8 slipstreams in +38. Needless to say, I didn't go with them for the very reasons discussed here. It would look badass, but from a performance perspective, there is nothing to gain from it.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #34
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Thanks Thomas... everybody in agreement now.... Largeorangefont, you see where I was coming from all along with the +38? When I was suggesting the +38, i neglected to add this is the just about the only offset you can run with real wide wheels AND TIRES... I just was not giving complete information, so I can see why you though I did not know what I was talkin about.... but then again, I was usually suggesting the widest tire i could when ppl asked tire sizes..... were one big <non tire Nazi> famay again :)
Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #35
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Thanks Thomas... everybody in agreement now.... Largeorangefont, you see where I was coming from all along with the +38? When I was suggesting the +38, i neglected to add this is the just about the only offset you can run with real wide wheels AND TIRES... I just was not giving complete information, so I can see why you though I did not know what I was talkin about.... but then again, I was usually suggesting the widest tire i could when ppl asked tire sizes..... were one big <non tire Nazi> famay again :)
Yea. I see what you are saying, and you see how what you said can be misinterpreted. It is all good.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 AM   #36
Black Yaris
der Zeck

All of that bickering, for us to relize we are argueing about the same thing