Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #37
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I could've picked them up for $850 locally, but I didn't want the Tein Basics. Actually, it's not that I didn't want them, but for $875, I picked up the Megans which, again, are adjustable and stiffer. The quality seems very good, too. The only "bad" thing about them is the lack of good instructions thus far.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #38
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Tein was a very easy install and the instruction were quite clear. Also the guys at Tein are very helpful. I'm just sayin'.

but hey, the megans have adjustable dampening

hope you get it worked out though, too bad colinT isn't around, he installed his own
Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #39
Thirty-Nine

Right. I'm by no means trying to knock the Teins. I had S-techs on my xB, and they were great. I know Tein makes a good product. But unfortunately, they don't offer a set of adjustables in the U.S.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get this all figured out tonight and help those who do decide to go the Megan route so they don't have to figure it out on their own.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #40
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Right. I'm by no means trying to knock the Teins. I had S-techs on my xB, and they were great. I know Tein makes a good product. But unfortunately, they don't offer a set of adjustables in the U.S.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get this all figured out tonight and help those who do decide to go the Megan route so they don't have to figure it out on their own.
take pictures
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #41
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
If you get a chance to call Megan again, ask for Steve or Cyrus. Let me know if you need me to call them for you.

Pictures would also be very helpfull, I'm sure some of us that have done a few suspensions on this car before can help out if we saw some pics. I've done the suspension on my car three times now (Tanabe DF's, Cuscos, and now SK's) but never done or seen the Megans yet unfortunately.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #42
03Z33

BTW, look what I just found on the Megan site:

http://www.meganracing.com/products/....asp?catid=107

Those are the adjusters I was trying to describe
Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #43
kapo
Argentina Presente!

Drives: 07 White LB
Nice! Once mine settle.. I will probably buy on set of those.

About the installation.. I want to explain what we did, but Im really bad with the terms, and I dont want to say it like "the little thing in metal goes with the plastic round thing"... so.. I will probably do a sketch about my installation. {my english sucks}

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
BTW, look what I just found on the Megan site:

http://www.meganracing.com/products/....asp?catid=107

Those are the adjusters I was trying to describe
kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #44
03Z33

Check your PM
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #45
Thirty-Nine

I actually talked to Steve today over my lunch break. I'll e-mail him about the flexible adjusters.

Anyway, I've gotten one of the sides done, and lowered down, the top of the strut looks like this. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? They're up 3/4" from the base of the shock tower (I did measure this).

(BTW, this is without the black shroud that houses the adjuster knobs which don't have much clearance usually)
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #46
dsc_pat
track or die

Drives: Yaris LB CE CDM
can a Tein owner take a pic of his head shock like the pic posted up here ?

i don,t know if it is the coilover or the guy's knowledge, but this sound like an horrible experience with the megan coilover.....
dsc_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #47
03Z33

That looks correct, all three suspensions I installed on my car left the gap like you have. I never measured it, but with the Cuscos I remember it being at least that high, it still looks very similar with my current setup. I'll do my best to take a pic this week when I swing by the body shop.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #48
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Tein fits near flush, nothing like pictured
Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 PM   #49
dsc_pat
track or die

Drives: Yaris LB CE CDM
but tein uses OEM hats (almost all «top» OEM hardware ?) ? and the megan/ksport (i think we can say that...) uses it's own top plates...
dsc_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #50
03Z33

If I remember how it works correctly, the only thing that will affect the height of the dust cap is the length of the portion of the shaft the sticks out on top of the upper strut mount and the length of the threaded portion on the shaft. It really makes no difference to the functionality of the suspension. If the manufacturer wanted to make it look more like OEM then they would either source a slightly shorter strut or thread the strut further down so that the dust cap can be lowered more. The fact is that there are only so many struts to choose from in the aftermarket and it probably doesn't make sense to custom make a specific shock length for each and every car.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 AM   #51
Thirty-Nine

Well, it can't be right. Something is definitely not correct. Once I got both sides "done" and we lowered it down, the right side went up even further to the point that the metal shroud with the wiper motor hardly clears at all.

Here's something to think about: pre load. The person at Megan said I needed to "pre load" the suspension. However, how can I do that if there's nothing to attach the tops to (because it doesn't use the OEM spring mount w/a nut)?

Notice the picture of the front strut. It's got the anodized red top with a nut on it. There's nothing to tighten that nut to like the OEM "hat" or support.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 AM   #52
03Z33

I'm trying to upload the picture from the repair manual right now.

You must have the strut bearing and the nut tightened onto the strut before installing the upper rubber portion and before installing the strut into the car. There needs to be some preload on the spring (or at least the ability to preload it).

From the picture it looks like the stock strut bearing may press right into the red anodized spring seat? If so, then you should be able to tighten the nut up to the bearing before installing into the car.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #53
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
I'm trying to upload the picture from the repair manual right now.

You must have the strut bearing and the nut tightened onto the strut before installing the upper rubber portion and before installing the strut into the car. There needs to be some preload on the spring (or at least the ability to preload it).

From the picture it looks like the stock strut bearing may press right into the red anodized spring seat? If so, then you should be able to tighten the nut up to the bearing before installing into the car.
I had originally used the entire seat from the OEM strut. Is this not correct? How do I get just the bearing off? That'd make some sense. Currently, this is what the assembly looks like (gotta love MS paint and that fact that I haven't taken any photos of the actual setup yet):

Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #54
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I had originally used the entire seat from the OEM strut. Is this not correct? How do I get just the bearing off? That'd make some sense. Currently, this is what the assembly looks like (gotta love MS paint and that fact that I haven't taken any photos of the actual setup yet):
I would think the stock spring seat won't fit, so you'll need to press out the stock strut bearing from it and transfer the bearing over to the new coilover. If you can't push it out with your fingers, then try tapping on the outside race gently or a wooden hammer handle should do the trick. Then the nut (which I don't see in your diagram?) will go over the bearing before the rubber part (which fits around/over the strut bearing).