Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
How long would my battery live with amps while the car is off?

I tend to sit around with my car off listening to the music. I have the following amps and stock battery:

KICKER ZX200.4 CAR STEREO 200 WATT 4CH AMP AMPLIFIER
MTX Thunder Pro Amp

I was never worried about playing music with my stock equipment when the engine was off, but with the amps will it drain it super fast? I'm afraid to listen to music while my engine is off. I was talking to some dude with a 350z with his stock battery and subs+amp who was playing his music pretty loud and was chilling like that for half an hour and said all he had to do was turn his car on to recharge the battery in 15 seconds. Teh whhhhhhat??? The electronic aspect of my yaris is pretty much the only thing I have absolutely no clue with. So if anyone could enlighten me on this matter that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
too many variables (like the wattage of your MTX amp) here. more information please

i say 30 mins MAX of bumping the tunes
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
eii
Rides canyon walls

I got distracted and forgot to share info on that amp.

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...rs/RTP251D.cfm

Well thanks for your input, it'll help take some ease off my mind.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i have a PrecisionPower 4x 50wRMS, i've listened to it for more than 1hr and no problems. But i don't let the thump much when i'm not driving it... usually let it sit at low volume until gf finishes work.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
my wife and I hit the drive in movies durring the summer with friends alot and i plan on figuring this out too.

I plan to get my hands on a deep cycle battery and hook it up to the car when we watch the movies so it doubles my electrical storage :)

usually there is 15-30min between movies (they do double features) where i plan to run the car to recharge it up.

I an my jeep for two movies straight with running it for 15 min between .. that has infinity gold stuff in it .. no woofer though .. and had no issues starting at the end of it all. that was just with one battery too.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
I have 2 Alpines, 1 is 50x4 the other is 500x1, these are rms. I have had them on for about 15-20mins without problems.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
my wife and I hit the drive in movies durring the summer with friends alot and i plan on figuring this out too.

I plan to get my hands on a deep cycle battery and hook it up to the car when we watch the movies so it doubles my electrical storage :)

usually there is 15-30min between movies (they do double features) where i plan to run the car to recharge it up.

I an my jeep for two movies straight with running it for 15 min between .. that has infinity gold stuff in it .. no woofer though .. and had no issues starting at the end of it all. that was just with one battery too.
I wouldn't invest too much money to enhance your drive in experience. Drive in theaters have been closing left and right out here.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

this one has been there forever and is always packed. its the only one in our area for like 5 hours i think
Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

i think i can get a battery from my dad from his old boat that he sold.

and jumper cables he prolly has too.. so it wont cost me anything :)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
eii
Rides canyon walls

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I should really buy some jumper cables just in case >_<

Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eii View Post
Cool, thanks for the input guys. I should really buy some jumper cables just in case >_<
how bout those two-in-one units. Charger and Air Pump. Comes in way handy, if you ever need a boost and being a good Samaritan just gets much easier. Air pump is great as well. they're like 50 bucks, beats waiting for AAA at times, plus you should have an air pump at home anyways.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
eii
Rides canyon walls

yeah that would be even better. need to make a trip to autozone or wal-mart today :).

Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
there is no way of answering that question... soo many variables... here are some of the main variables.

battery fully charged/battery voltage
Volume of music
Are you clipping your amps
Type of music
ambient temperature outside
the size and length of your power wire
what type of fuse you use (Some fuses have high resistances)
Any other electronics on (fan, lights, windows)

If you're worried about it.... something that helps is to wire your subs to a higher ohm load... say you have two 4ohm subs... instead of running 2ohm, run 8ohm... you'll use 1/4 the power, and it'll barely sound quieter.

Could also get one of those solar trickle chargers... throw it on your dash and let it trickle charge your car so you won't lose a charge as fast.