Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Smart Guys... I need your help!

Alright... well I found this and read though it... I understand more then 1/2 of what I read... but I was hoping someone can put this in Laymans terms... and tell me if anyone has done this, and if it works?

Thank you!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Remember you can click on any of the pictures on this site to enlarge the pictures - then click the 'Back' button on your browser to return.

Chris Green contacted us with these excellent pictures of the fitting to his Toyota Yaris T-Sport. He said:

"There were no specific problems in fitting the valve except that in its current position, it’s about 16” from the manifold, which is a tad outside recommended limits, but nonetheless it seems to work fine.

The non-return valve that is often spoken of, is screwed into the front wall of the servo canister, so the whole pipe is safely "downsteam" of this. The rear-mounted position of the Ecotek leaves plenty of room for tuning and the fitting of the (look, it matches the car!) silencer, but does make the induction noise rather prominent due to its proximity to the passenger compartment.

The reasons for fitting it so far away are not apparent, but what you can’t see is that the vacuum pipe turns to metal immediately to the right of the Ecotek, and remains that way until shortly before entry into the manifold. The remaining hose, which in the picture is the second one to the right of the right-hand manifold inlet, is heavily curved and short, leaving little room for either fitting, or subsequent tuning. A pity, because the noise would be a lot less prominent there, I suspect, although it’s doubtful whether the silencer could be fitted without chafing on something else."

Then later Chris wrote "About a month ago, just prior to fitting the Ecotek, I drove from west London to Norfolk and back in my Yaris T-Sport and achieved 47 mpg (both on the trip computer AND by running a full-to-full check). To avoid traffic delays, I set off at 5.30 am. I've just done the same run starting at the same time, this time with the Ecotek fitted, and although the trip computer still showed 47.5 mpg, a check of fuel used reveals a real consumption of 52 mpg, which is not far off the 8% gain forecast by Barclay." It's actually 10.5% (47 to 52) which ain't bad on such a frugal motor!

Many thanks Chris.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris 2.JPG (388.1 KB, 123 views)
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Nutzoids

Sorry about the size of the pic... Forgot to resize!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris 2.JPG (35.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 03-23-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Seems more or like like the same mystery device I have under my hood, basically a kind of bypass that allows extra air into the manifold at all times. Presumably this tricks the ECU into leaning out the fuel mixture, thus increasing power and reducing fuel consumption, but it's really not clear... Plus, our modern smart, learning ECUs are supposed to be impervious to this kind of tomfoolery...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Yea but if it helps with fuel efficiency (that's what i'm thinking from what I read in that site) wouldn't it be good to buy?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Throws huge flags with the supercharged trucks i own and have owned.

Little different location, but pretty much the same is when replacing the oil cap on the passenger side bank, with a breather... it allows un-metered air into the system, and if your tune did not compensate for this, you could get a number of issues from knocking, to a few guys going way to lean while driving with their warm weather tune during the winter months.

Ill have to look at your link, and the details a little closer, but as far as gaining MPG by doning this, i wouldnt believe the hype!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
Keep in mind that the original writer is English, and their gallons are 20% bigger than US. 20 ounces to the pint, same old 8 pints to the gallon, but bigger pints.....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I posted this item on a different site some time ago and only reason i hadnt tried it is the thing sells for like $90. If you read through the ton of info posted on the site it basically implies without right out saying it that theyre somewhat useless on new fuel injected cars like eTiMaGo said.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
On modern cars the primary benefit of the CB-26P is improved performance, acceleration and throttle response - see the Datron tests here - accompanied by additional fuel and emission savings, as confirmed by the latest Prodrive tests here

For carburettor and early petrol injected cars, improvements, particularly in emissions and petrol consumption, can be dramatic:

PERFORMANCE

On modern cars the CB-26P device works in at least two distinct ways to improve performance, it collapses the manifold vacuum allowing briefly for a richer mixture on the re-application of a trailing throttle - thus significantly improving throttle response - and it creates an element of off-throttle turbulence (increasingly being used by Ford and Mercedes Benz in their performance engines) making acceleration smoother and more urgent.

Tests by Datron at the Millbrook test track confirm significant improvements in acceleration as a result of these effects. Given the fact that the device relies on throttle variation (variable manifold pressure) to be effective, flat-out rolling road (Dyno) tests have proved inconclusive but thanks to the Datron Microsat system it is now possible to accurately measure extended acceleration runs (10 - 85 mph) whilst discounting launch times.

The Test concluded: "It is clearly established by an analysis of the data that the device improved the performance of all three cars during the test."

Turbulence in the inlet manifold (as produced by the CB-26P) is also known to reduce fluctuations in operating efficiency and flat spots caused by petrol vaporisation at high temperatures as well as the effects of performance tuning through high lift cams and competition exhaust systems. The mapping of a number of modern engines also has a tendency to favour fuel consumption and emissions and this creates flat spots, especially through the gears. The CB-26P is known to cure this and tests at Prodrive Laboratories prove that it can do this and still sustain improvements in economy and emissions.

Below is a graphic of the distance between cars with and without the CB-26P device showing how far ahead the modified car is when the unmodified car is travelling at the indicated speed, all the data was taken from 10 mph so as to exclude variations in the launch characteristics so the distances shown are actually understated from standing start times and graphically illustrate the potential benefits of the device.

this is what the product "does". i still don't get the point. will need to read/think about it a bit longer...
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
I'll run this by the guys at work on Monday.....no matter what, though, I wouldn't pay $90 for it- it's a $15 breather filter with a $2 t-fitting!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
joey1320

yeah i'm trying to read on the website for specifics as to what it does and i can't find anything. thats a vacuum line for the brake booster, i don't think it's a breather. if it was then your engine would be runing like shit since it has no vacuum(vacuum leak). so it can't be just a breather. plus you wouldn't have power assist on the brakes.
i don't know what the hell it does!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:58 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
if you look at their instructions, there is some kind of pressure valve that you must adjust so that it is not open while you are idling.

From what they explain, it does 2 things:

1: Allow extra air inot the manifold, effectively leaning the mixture. How the ECU responds to this (the O2 sensors at the catalysts will notice the difference), who knows.

2: It adds "turbulence" to the incoming air flow, optimizing the atomization fo fuel yadda yadda yadda, the common excuse for useless "cheap performance" addons like those tornado air twirlers..

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
joey1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
if you look at their instructions, there is some kind of pressure valve that you must adjust so that it is not open while you are idling.

From what they explain, it does 2 things:

1: Allow extra air inot the manifold, effectively leaning the mixture. How the ECU responds to this (the O2 sensors at the catalysts will notice the difference), who knows.

2: It adds "turbulence" to the incoming air flow, optimizing the atomization fo fuel yadda yadda yadda, the common excuse for useless "cheap performance" addons like those tornado air twirlers..
yes i read that last nite. this is crap. don't waste your money. if it was so easy to get better gas mileage and performance all the manufacturers would do it.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
There is no free lunch, period.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #14
Nutzoids

Thanks Everyone... When ever I see shit like this I need to consult with my Experts...

Waist of time and Money...

Check!

Thanks Guys!