Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Flowtech's Raptor turbo mufflers $25 on ebay

Does anyone knows something about this muffler? Quality, sound... etc

You can find it on ebay for $25 and free shipping.

Looking for some exhaust improvement and want to stay as far away as possible from any sort of 4" cans

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big-50051flt_w.jpg (13.4 KB, 168 views)
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Castrex, c'mon homie. You tell us. What kind of quality can you expect from a $25 Ebay muffler?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
I was actually looking at one of these at the Summit store last weekend- can't say I was too impressed. It just felt...........tinny?

BTW, you can find them at Advance Auto Parts, as well. Go check it out and you'll see what I mean. Wait, I just saw that you live in Costa Rica- do ya'll have Advance/Kragen's there?
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:14 AM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Castrex, c'mon homie. You tell us. What kind of quality can you expect from a $25 Ebay muffler?
I know, I know! .....but... there's no much science behind a muffler. Maybe something like this will last half the time than a brand name muffler due to materials quality but the desing is the same as one of the more expensive models...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I was actually looking at one of these at the Summit store last weekend- can't say I was too impressed. It just felt...........tinny?

BTW, you can find them at Advance Auto Parts, as well. Go check it out and you'll see what I mean. Wait, I just saw that you live in Costa Rica- do ya'll have Advance/Kragen's there?
No Advance\Kragens here... but shipping to Costa Rica is not expensive... most of my stuff I have it delivered to Miami and from there to CR. I also go to California like twice a year for work... so I always take with me a wish list every time I travel...
Old 03-24-2007, 02:18 AM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Is this comment comming from the ultimate getthoparts builder?

You know that some times, just sometimes a low price doesn't mean that the product suck...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
to me anything that is universal is BASURA......
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

I want to get rid of that buble look OEM muffler of my sedan. I'm looking for something less restrictive, 2" to 2 1/4" diam and no CAN desing... I don't care if the can is GReddy or HKS... no straight can for my Yar.

That is why i tought in something like a turbo muffler well hidden under the car... with a nice oval polished tip.

I know i wont gain a hole lot of power opening up the exhaust that's why I think is dumb to expend much $$$ in brand parts.

Behind the muffler i'm thinking on a straight pipe up to th header (cat less).

Any suggestion for a less "Basura" (crappy) muffler?
Old 03-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Dont buy it. You used to be able to buy that exact same muffler at Napa for 20 bucks US.

It is more restrictive than a stock muffler...one car I had you could actually feel the loss in HP...I had a dynomax on it (was my first car, a cavalier), but didnt like the raspy tone. So I tried the cheapo one just to see what it sounded like.

It not only did it sound like s--t, you could actually feel the loss in HP...which leads me to belive it would be more restrictive than stock, cause even putting a high flow muffler on ussually only gains you a couple HP.

P.S. expensive, but flowmaster 60 series and Borla mufflers for the win.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
Dont buy it. You used to be able to buy that exact same muffler at Napa for 20 bucks US.

It is more restrictive than a stock muffler...one car I had you could actually feel the loss in HP...I had a dynomax on it (was my first car, a cavalier), but didnt like the raspy tone. So I tried the cheapo one just to see what it sounded like.

It not only did it sound like s--t, you could actually feel the loss in HP...which leads me to belive it would be more restrictive than stock, cause even putting a high flow muffler on ussually only gains you a couple HP.

P.S. expensive, but flowmaster 60 series and Borla mufflers for the win.

You currently have the dynomax on your Yar, right? what do you think about it?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Spades
The Hated One

its not too bad, its a cheaper muffler. better flow and sound than the one you posted. I will be switching it out for a Borla when I get the time. It isnt much louder than stock, only slightly. If you are looking for performance, it flows PLENTY too keep up with a 109hp 1.5l engine.

If you want sound, you might look into spending the extra cash on a borla or flowmaster.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
its not too bad, its a cheaper muffler. better flow and sound than the one you posted. I will be switching it out for a Borla when I get the time. It isnt much louder than stock, only slightly. If you are looking for performance, it flows PLENTY too keep up with a 109hp 1.5l engine.

If you want sound, you might look into spending the extra cash on a borla or flowmaster.
Looks like a good option that dynomax... Not looking for big sound my self... just improve the flow. Any ways after I take the cat off... it's gonna be loud enough... so the quiter the muffler the better.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Sorry to thread-jack, but, SPADES where did you get that bomb-ass blower for your yaris? Did you get the super special (SS) RWD Drift sedan? That is cool, how much was it? how much HP do you have? can you do wheelies? Do you have Nitrous? Wow I wish my Yaris was that cool
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I don't think he likes the blower.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
Spades
The Hated One

LOL, I did it as a joke. that picture is actually of a rear wheel drive blown chevy 350...I thought it would look funny on a Yaris...gotta love photoshop.

Back on topic. Yes, the Dynomax will have plenty of flow unless you are looking at getting more than 150hp out of your engine. Right now my car has more intake noise than exhaust noise, but that is fine for right now. I dont like alot of attention, because with attention comes guys that try to race you, and police that want to test how loud your exhaust is.

P.S. The other things I like about the dynomax mufflers is, the price, the flow, but most of all I like that you dont have the nasty back popping when you let off the throttle. Alot of mufflers, including the Borlas, without a resonater up higher near that cats, will make a popping noise when you let off the throttle, especially on a manual car if you leave it in gear to slow down.

EDIT: I just did some research and found out that Walker(Dynomax) makes a Thrush Series(tm) turbo style muffler. While they are only 20 bucks from Summit Racing, this is NOT the muffler I have. the Super Turbo I have is actually twice that much, but still, at 40 bucks its almost 1/3 the price of a Borla or Flowmaster 60 series.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Dynomax or magnaflow dood

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #16
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I have a dynomax muffler along with a 4-2-1 header and highflow magnoflow cat on my cavalier and it sounds awsome. none of that ricer buzzing. i would use dynomax again.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote