Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
3M headlight restorer

i was cleaning out the garage the other day(mmmmm...spring) and found a clever headlight restorer i bought a few years ago and forgot all about. i tried the old 'deet-trick' last summer to brighten them up, but was hesitant after talking to a co-worker who said those sanding kits don't work.

anyways, i just followed the instructions to a 't'. you will need a drill(it recommended at least 1200 rpm, but my 900 rpm black and decker worked fine), some microfiber cloths, and a spray bottle with plain ol' tap water. the kit comes with a bit that has a 3 inch velcro pad on one end. the other goes in your drill - obviously. you get two different grit sandpaper, a wet-sanding pad, and a buffer pad for the included polish. it also comes with a wax protectorant to rub on at the end.

if you decide to do it just take your time and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. the lens will look worse before it looks better so just have faith. good luck!*

*the above is just an honest testimonial. your actual results may vary.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
My brother used a sanding type kit on my headlights before winter and they're still clear.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Sanding works well. I've done what ChrisFix on youtube does and covered mine in a uv resistant gloss and then wax them anytime I wax my car. So far they've stayed clear with no issues.

The only issue I have is the crazing on the inside of the lens which I can't do anything about
Old 03-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Will my 09 s headlights fog eventually or have they solved the problem?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
^from what i understand the 'yellowing' is due to the heat coming off the lamps baking debris on the plastic over time. that's why the sanding seems to work well. my 01(echo) was REALLY bad, but the 07(yaris) was starting to get there. the yaris has almost 200k miles so i guess even the 09 will get there eventually.

i would have posted pictures, but i forgot to take a 'before' one and i don't think anyone wants to see a clean headlight pic! trust me, it looks GREAT now!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I installed 3M protective film on my 2015 SE headlights to hopefully prevent the hazing/yellowing that occurred on my previous 2000 Accord, and preserve the factory clear-coat on the housings.

Even after using cleaning/restoring kits on my old Accord and making them look new again, the hazing returned fairly quickly, since the factory protective coating was gone on the housings. Once you get your lights cleaned up with the kit, consider getting the 3M coating on them to keep the results long-term.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
^from what i understand the 'yellowing' is due to the heat coming off the lamps baking debris on the plastic over time. that's why the sanding seems to work well.
I'd argue the lens gets no where near hot enough (especially with air flow) to "bake" debris on the lens. You can put your hand on it with no issue. The yellowing is what happens to plastic as it becomes oxidized from UV radiation.

The sanding removes the oxidized layer. If you don't cover the lens up after sanding with a UV resistant non yellowing protectant then it will yellow very quickly afterwards as there is nothing protecting the oxidation process.

The reason light yellow after a while is due to the factory protectant being worn out from road grime.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I use 2000 grid sand paper , wet sand do not do any circular motion just back and forth was off with water and use wax compound and a good bather and last polisher with bather.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post

*the above is just an honest testimonial. your actual results may vary.
any pictures? i bought it long time ago too and it's somewhere in the garage unused.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The yellowing is what happens to plastic as it becomes oxidized from UV radiation.
exactly. i have a 06 "garage queen" toyota with plastic headlights as good as new, while my kid's 07 yaris is all yellow from the florida sun.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote