Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
delete front sway bar?

Ive always had an issue with lighting up the inside wheel with any sort of turning load...I currently have the UR 23mm front, and 19mm rear

I aint got the money for an LSD, but Ive heard of other FWD racers doing this with good results.

I actually did the same for my Tercel recently & just like the way the car feels overall...but with it still an auto, I dont have traction issues as I have about 20HP getting to the wheels

I'm considering removing the rear bar too as the car is very tailhappy (actually I find it very amusing) I can use the sliding to my advantage as I have today to drop nearly a full second off my run time

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
delete front sway bar? Toyota Yaris Corolla Tercel

89 Tercel had no front sway bar and similar integral-sway-bar rear as Yaris. 91 Generation 6 Corolla wagon, last subcompact Corolla, has same weight and power as Yaris, lower and longer than Yaris, and no anti-sway whatsoever.

Both those old Toyotas are great on gravel. I'd really like to try sway bar delete on Yaris...also removes weight and stored parts won't get rusty. Bar seems hard to get to (some have disconnected links to see traction effect.) Is Yaris sway bar hollow? If not, it looks heavy. Anyone know weight?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Ive always had an issue with lighting up the inside wheel with any sort of turning load...I currently have the UR 23mm front, and 19mm rear

I aint got the money for an LSD, but Ive heard of other FWD racers doing this with good results.

I actually did the same for my Tercel recently & just like the way the car feels overall...but with it still an auto, I dont have traction issues as I have about 20HP getting to the wheels

I'm considering removing the rear bar too as the car is very tailhappy (actually I find it very amusing) I can use the sliding to my advantage as I have today to drop nearly a full second off my run time
I think you mean 25mm UR front bar, the early stock bar was either a 23mm (sedan) or 24mm (hatch). Look for a 2015+ (might have also been on 2014s, has visible crimps on the ends) front bar, it is a tubular 24mm unit while the others are solid, so its effectively softer. You likely don't have enough spring rate or shock to control the car with no bar.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
I think you mean 25mm UR front bar, the early stock bar was either a 23mm (sedan) or 24mm (hatch). Look for a 2015+ (might have also been on 2014s, has visible crimps on the ends) front bar, it is a tubular 24mm unit while the others are solid, so its effectively softer. You likely don't have enough spring rate or shock to control the car with no bar.
it could be...its been on there for years so I am going off of memory.

Tokico Blues on TigerTec springs. Stiffest spring on the market when I bought em 6 years ago. It probably aint enough anyway, especially if I decide to run the 225 hoosiers again.

I should probably just get my tercel done sooner instead of messing with the Yaris. I have Fortune Auto coilovers on that and it actually rides nicer sadly

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote