Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #91
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
I have an 07 Yaris hatchback in Canada since new in 2007 with 220000'ish KM on the odometer.

I have had the following issues / done the following:

Headlight bulbs replaced cause they burnt out within 1 month of each other. These are a real pain without removing the headlight housings. Small hands required!

Backup light burnt out

Front left side axle seal seeps. Was replaced, but still seeps.

Front brake rotors replaced about 2 years ago cause they got a bit warped. Replaced pads twice. Have not touched rear drums.

Front left CV boot recently split open, I will replace whole axle and do the inner seal again while I'm at it.

Engine squeals when starting, but goes away when I turn interior blower fan off, but it's not the blower that's squealing... I'll replace accessory belt but I have no idea what is causing the squealing.

Replaced OEM battery after 10 years of being fine.

Body is starting to get a lot of little pits and dents from rocks, and starting to rust in those little spots. But I live in the frozen North.

Windshield has a large crack halfway across but I've actually been quite lucky with that.

Rear hatchback lift hydraulics will not push the door open anymore or even hold it open if it's less than halfway open. I can lift it up allthe way and then it will hold it up. Need to replace them.

Rear hatchback door latch is broken. It doesn't seem to unlock at all. This happened just within the past few weeks. I can hear it clicking in there when I use the keyfob but I am unable to unlatch the door by pushing in the button on the door as per normal. The button pushes in, but the door doesn't open. That button also gets frozen regularly during the winter leaving me unable to open the hatchback.

I have had to remove the inner small panel so I can get at the mechanism with my finger to open the hatchback, which does work, and is currently the only way I can get the hatchback open. I will be ripping this interior panel off soon to get a look at that latch. I think it might be the actuator itself that is pooched, which if that's the case I may be screwed because that thing costs like $350 Canadian to replace. This is by far the most annoying thing I have had to deal with with this car.

Shifter is getting a little sloppy, but I am on completely original clutch and transmission and I even learned to drive manual transmission with this car.

Overall I am very happy with the reliability of this car. I keep having to convince myself not to buy a new car. I mostly want modern conveniences but there is nothing seriously wrong with the car AT ALL so it is very hard for me to justify a newer car purchase.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #92
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Tighten the serpentine belt after reading about it in threads here. Too tight kills waterpumps. Lever in wrong spot damages an oil control valve.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #93
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
Engine squeals when starting, but goes away when I turn interior blower fan off, but it's not the blower that's squealing... I'll replace accessory belt but I have no idea what is causing the squealing.
I had this problem with a DAYCO belt. It wasn't happy whatever the adjustment. So i replaced it with a Chinese "Blue Print" branded one and its been fine for 3 years/80,000 miles. Start your adjustment a little loose, i think the recommendation is about 10-12mm of deflection at the belts longest run.

Quote:
Rear hatchback lift hydraulics will not push the door open anymore or even hold it open if it's less than halfway open. I can lift it up allthe way and then it will hold it up. Need to replace them.
I think they have gas in them. I hit my head the other week going to get stuff out the boot on a morning because they weren't holding it up. I to think i may replace mine.

Quote:
Rear hatchback door latch is broken. It doesn't seem to unlock at all. This happened just within the past few weeks. I can hear it clicking in there when I use the keyfob but I am unable to unlatch the door by pushing in the button on the door as per normal. The button pushes in, but the door doesn't open. That button also gets frozen regularly during the winter leaving me unable to open the hatchback.

I have had to remove the inner small panel so I can get at the mechanism with my finger to open the hatchback, which does work, and is currently the only way I can get the hatchback open. I will be ripping this interior panel off soon to get a look at that latch. I think it might be the actuator itself that is pooched, which if that's the case I may be screwed because that thing costs like $350 Canadian to replace. This is by far the most annoying thing I have had to deal with with this car.
This happened to my car a couple years ago. It had been a bad winter with lots of salt on the roads and it was wet and below freezing. I was able to free it up by squirting a shit load of WD40 into it which freed up the mechanism. I think it had some crap and some frozen water inside it. You might be able to find a cheaper part in the scrapyard if it is actually broken.