Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
2011 YARIS : Brake-Override Technology ...

for sticking gas pedals . http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...em-160022.aspx . It's the last paragraph . Some late model 2010 YARIS may include this . Should be on the Window Sticker .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Gross. I will not buy a car with any sort of brake-override feature. In a MT, you press the clutch and shift to neutral. In an automatic, SHIFT to neutral. Worst case scenario, shut of the engine. Even with the power cut, there is enough hydraulic pressure to stop the car. Seriously. . . this "feature" is so stupid. Anybody who dies or gets into an accident because of "unintended acceleration" doesn't belong behind the wheel of a car. And is it me, or is the only country TRULY affected by this, the USA? Then again, this is the country where you can suit McDonald's for eating like a pig.

With motorcycles, we train for this in the MSF class. Throttle kill button does the job. . . or clutch in.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
goodbye heel-toe

Seriously, the problem is that a car is nowadays an appliance, you don't need to be a driver to operate one, so manufacturers have to bow down to the lowest common denominator, easier than teaching people how to properly operate what is truly dangerous, heavy equipment!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
My question is what does "This braking-system enhancement will automatically reduce engine power when the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal are applied simultaneously under certain driving conditions." mean?
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedan View Post
My question is what does "This braking-system enhancement will automatically reduce engine power when the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal are applied simultaneously under certain driving conditions." mean?
As a lawyer, it seems to me that Mr T just left some wiggle room to substantiate the cases when the system should have kicked in, but didn't :)

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
goodbye heel-toe !
That's exactly what I was thinking!