Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
You are probably right, but just feel better leting the dealer do it.
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #20
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
the amount of torque required to strip those M14 (or M12) threads would be in the neighborhood of 200lb/ft. i highly doubt that a person could exert that kind of force lying down under their car with a box end wrench.

torque wrench is overkill, just get the plug "tight"
I agree but you see stripped drain plugs all the time still. That's why I ALWAYS change my own oil.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
I am doing all the service on our Yaris these days to save cash. I am just paranoid about stripping the oil plug. Which do you think is easier to control and less likely to strip a ratchet or box end?

There are two kinds of stripping. One is rounding off the corners of the bolt so your wrench/socket spins around and around when you try to tighten/loosen it. The other involves dammaging the threads so you cant tighten them to the proper torque.
If you get a Snap On socket/wrench they are specially made and wont strip the hex. Even if the corners of the fastner are rounded it will still tighten and loosen it perfectly. Its broached to fit the middle of the flats instead of the corners. They are expensive!
Should you round the corners of the bolt you can always buy another one! And you can use a Visegrip to remove the dammaged one so you can replace it.
As for stripping the threads just take your time and snug the bolt up by hand first. It should be possible to start the bolt by hand and tighten it up to the pan with your fingers. Then it requires on about a half turn or so with the wrench/socket to tighten it.
You just need to take your time and dont hurry and exercise a little care. Ive had cars for hundreds of thousands of miles and used the same drain bolt every time! (I did strip one once!) I prefer a wrench to a socket for changeing the oil. If you can find one get a 14mm Snap On wrench because they are specially made to not to strip the nut and even work on stripped ones!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
o89canucks
Mechanic from hell

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to o89canucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
There are two kinds of stripping. One is rounding off the corners of the bolt so your wrench/socket spins around and around when you try to tighten/loosen it. The other involves dammaging the threads so you cant tighten them to the proper torque.
If you get a Snap On socket/wrench they are specially made and wont strip the hex. Even if the corners of the fastner are rounded it will still tighten and loosen it perfectly. Its broached to fit the middle of the flats instead of the corners. They are expensive!
Should you round the corners of the bolt you can always buy another one! And you can use a Visegrip to remove the dammaged one so you can replace it.
As for stripping the threads just take your time and snug the bolt up by hand first. It should be possible to start the bolt by hand and tighten it up to the pan with your fingers. Then it requires on about a half turn or so with the wrench/socket to tighten it.
You just need to take your time and dont hurry and exercise a little care. Ive had cars for hundreds of thousands of miles and used the same drain bolt every time! (I did strip one once!) I prefer a wrench to a socket for changeing the oil. If you can find one get a 14mm Snap On wrench because they are specially made to not to strip the nut and even work on stripped ones!
the snap-on wrench type you are referring to is called a "flank drive" and yes, they do work very well.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
o89canucks
Mechanic from hell

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to o89canucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
the amount of torque required to strip those M14 (or M12) threads would be in the neighborhood of 200lb/ft. i highly doubt that a person could exert that kind of force lying down under their car with a box end wrench.

torque wrench is overkill, just get the plug "tight"
200ft/lbs?!?! I've stripped Dodge cummings drain plugs out at 50ft/lbs.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #24
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
If you can get a hold of one of these it will make oil changes SOOOOOO much easier.... and NO drips! :D

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #25
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
YAR1S,

I had heard good things obout the Sure Drain and ended up getting one off Amazon for under 8 bucks! I had seen them in parts stores for over 20 before. I like the low profile aspect of it! I had to cross it but I ended up figuring out the Yaris takes the model SD-3 (I hope).

Have you had one long and how did you find the quality?

TIA

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote