Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
fazali

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
Anti theft "chip" in the key?

Does anyone know if this chip exist in the key? The antitheft immobilizer that the cars computer must recognize. I want to have a remote starter installed and the alarm installer is saying I need a bypass module. Can anyone confirm if this is needed?

Can anyone recommend a good outfit in the Dallas/Frisco area to install it?
fazali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
No. There is no chip in the Yaris key. This is at least true for the non-keyless entry option. You can have duplicates made anywhere, including Walmart, and they will work in the door as well as the ignition. Doe's it cost extra for this bypass module? Don't let them take you for a ride.
Test it your self. Have a cheap key made and try to start your car with it. If it starts, no chip. If it turns over but wont start, you have a chip.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
the chip/immobilizer combo is only present as an option in the sedan, it is not installed base in the sedan, nor is it availiable AT ALL on the liftback, I'd say your installer is trying to take you for a ride, confront them about it and suggest you might take your car elsewhere.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
fazali

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
thank you for the information. i will commence with the install with no bypass module required. wish me luck
fazali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I know for a fact the immobilizer comes standard on hatchbacks and sedans with keyless here in Canada
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #6
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
I know for a fact the immobilizer comes standard on hatchbacks and sedans with keyless here in Canada
Correct.
There's a passive immobilizer for the Hatchbacks/Sedans with the keyless entry fob..
Old 12-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
paultyler_82

Quote:
It's part of the keyless system, not the passkey/transponder style immobilizer.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
???

in canada, it's the option of a key RECOGNIZER. so the car will start as long as it's started with the correct key.

ie, if you try to start the car by hardwiring, it will not work. i think it's pretty useless..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
paultyler_82

I understand it is available in Canada, but the Key Transponder/Immobilizer is not available on any United States Yaris Liftback, and the poster was a Liftback owner from Texas, so his alarm installer was trying to bullshit him.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Not realy we special ordered a 2nd liftback loaded to the max, that DID have the immobilizer key, we ended not getting the 2nd car and bought windows for the house instead
Old 12-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #11
paultyler_82

*EDIT* I'm not going to argue the point.*EDIT* I'm just trying to save this guy from getting fleeced by his alarm installer, the only case in which you may need to bypass an immobilizer is the keyless entry system, but it's not built into the ECU, so there are other ways around it besides a potentially expensive transponder bypass unit.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Well I don't know exactly how it works... I just know the car won't run on a steel key cut from the hardware store.
I have to use either my MASTER keys (i ordered a second master for $200)or one of the two black OEToyota keys.
I also know if a key or key ring is sitting on top of the fob when the car is running it will shut off. The keys must hang below the fob.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #13
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
My car starts fine with the steel hide-a-key I had made at Walmart.
However, due to differences in Canadian/US models and special order options, I believe Fazali needs a second opinion from another installer.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Not realy we special ordered a 2nd liftback loaded to the max, that DID have the immobilizer key, we ended not getting the 2nd car and bought windows for the house instead
are you absolutely sure about this?? when we ordered our yaris, the dealer said this was not an option (i know, i know, dealers dont know $h!t), and all the literature says it isnt an option as well. i would like to have had this, as just another passive security option. damn, why are there are soo many variations of the yarii in soo many different places...

--B
Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
paultyler_82

Quote:
Well I don't know exactly how it works... I just know the car won't run on a steel key cut from the hardware store.
I have to use either my MASTER keys (i ordered a second master for $200)or one of the two black OEToyota keys.
I also know if a key or key ring is sitting on top of the fob when the car is running it will shut off. The keys must hang below the fob.
Yeah, I know, but yours is a Canadian model, on which the transponder key is an option.

Just to update people, this only refers to USDM LIFTBACKS... I checked with my parts department today, only ONE key is specified for the US LIFTBACK, the non-transpondered key, unlike the SEDAN which has p/n's specifed for a non- and a transpondered key. Just to double-check, we ran the VIN of a fully loaded liftback on the lot, and the p/n specified was the non-transponder key. We even checked with another Toyota dealer in a nearby town, their parts computer said the same thing.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #16
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
The chip does exsist
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #17
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsteverino889 View Post
The chip does exsist
I notice in your User tag you are a SEDAN owner, so I refer back to what I just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
...this only refers to USDM LIFTBACKS... I checked with my parts department today, only ONE key is specified for the US LIFTBACK, the non-transpondered key, unlike the SEDAN which has p/n's specifed for a non- and a transpondered key....
The person who was asking this question is a LIFTBACK owner... they are both CALLED Yaris, but these are two different cars, with two different sets of specifications and options, people seem to forget this.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #18
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
You better calm yourself buddy because on his opening post he doesnt specify liftback or sedan...I have a sedan that has a Remote Start Clifford alarm that cost $400 and 50 additional because they had to install the module because of the chip in my key if there is anything i know is about this and next time you wanna get smart you should read how there is no info about him having a liftback in his opening statements
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote