Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
Red face aluminum rims changing ride guality?

Sorry about the repost, since the hacking of the site I was unable to see if it was answered. I changed out my 15" steelies for Toyota OEM 15" 10 spoke aluminum rims and it seems the ride is alot better, better handleing, quieter and smoother. Can this be possible? Air pressure is still at 35psi and I reused the stock Goodyear Eagle LS tires, everthing else is still stock. Again, I'm sorry if anyone was kind enough to respond but I didn't get to read it, thanks.
rg570lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
the weight difference could change the ride quality a little, prolly not enough to notice. assuming the wheel geometry and the tires are the same i would say that it might just be in your head, but hey sometimes thats all it takes to love your car more.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
2006fronty

Drives: 2010 Mazda3 iTouring
If the aluminum wheels weigh less then it might ride a little better. Less unsprung weight seems like it would allow the suspension to work easier, but I'm not sure if the negligible difference in weight between the OEM steelies and the OEM alloys would make much of a difference.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
rg570lvr

Thanks, not really what I thought you might say, but I guess your right. I know the steelies are 16 lbs but when I asked the parts guy at the dealership about the weight of the aluminum rims they said it's not listed. I'm sure it's not enough to make a difference, I thought maybe the aluminum would transfer vibrations differently that steel would, I don't know. I swear it just seems there is less road noise from the stock tires now, I even play the stereo lower now because of it. Same roads, same speeds and I don't feel the surface of the roads like before. Weird, maybe it is all in my head, not the first time I've been told that. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
thatboyjer

Drives: 5spd 2007 Yaris LB
i know exactly how you feel actually, the moment i changed out my wheels from stock i felt a slight difference in how the car handles.

[Debadged] [Tanabe DF210] [Limo Tint][17" Fondmetal Wheels] [Pioneer HU]
--:: Wishlist, PM me ::--
[SSK (WTB)] [Black Sand Pearl Eyelids (WTB)]
thatboyjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
markitect

Drives: Yaris
If the Factory wheels weren't balanced as well it could explain the ride, and would also explain less noise.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
rg570lvr

In the past if a tire or tires weren't balanced even slightly, if on the front tire you can feel the steering wheel shake slowly if driving slow and shaking faster as you speed up. If on the back tire you can feel other areas of the car shake as well, when riding alone I can usually look over at the headrest of the passenger seat and see it shaking back and forth a little. I don't think it was a balance issue although I can see what you're saying, but if I was on a good smooth road it was great and if I was on a road that had rough patches or just not smooth I could feel it though the car plus all the road noise that so many on here talk about. Now I don't feel it or hear it as much anymore....Thanks thatboyjer, I know I'm not crazy, well I don't think I am. But then again I paid $750 for the Toyota wheels at the dealership instead of looking for a good deal like others on here. I like your wheels btw, the car too, wish I knew how to upload and post pictures of my car. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by rg570lvr; 10-22-2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: forgot to add info
rg570lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
thatboyjer

Drives: 5spd 2007 Yaris LB
hahah i'm using my shiznastey cell phone camera so all the new pics of my car are shatty.

i'm getting some new wheels this friday though, whiteeeeeee on black, :D

[Debadged] [Tanabe DF210] [Limo Tint][17" Fondmetal Wheels] [Pioneer HU]
--:: Wishlist, PM me ::--
[SSK (WTB)] [Black Sand Pearl Eyelids (WTB)]
thatboyjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
rg570lvr

no really, they look like the toyota wheels i wanted but then toyota said i could only get the 7 spoke, then they said they weren't available yet so i went with the 10 spoke. can't wait to see your new wheels.