Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
For you Hypermilers and other MPG h4xx0rz

Do you guys just put up with the impatient a-holes honking and screaming at you when starting off at redlights and stopsigns? I generally find myself letting the car get up to 2500 RPM or so when starting because the person behind me looks like they are going to have an aneurysm. Do the rest of you have to put up with that crap? Maybe the drivers in my area are just a-holes. I know the vast majority of people here have no idea how to drive.
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
50MPGDream

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 93 Camaro
Most of my driving is at off peak times on 4 lane roads so I don't find myself in this situation often, however when I find myself being honked/yelled at I generally just smile and wave :)
Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Oh, so YOU are the A-hole that I was behind at the traffic light yesterday! I thought your engine was stalling out or something!

J/K

Guess you will just have to let people "get over it."

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Yeah, people are always gonna be assholes... then again i find myself on the other side of the table... Im behind a guy... in a 2 lane road... and both the cars are going identical f**king matching speeds... so all the cars behind them cant pass. Or in another case, they take like a 5 second reaction time to start moving on green that by the time the 4th car passes the intersection, it turns red and traps everyone behind.

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
Yeah, people are always gonna be assholes... then again i find myself on the other side of the table... Im behind a guy... in a 2 lane road... and both the cars are going identical f**king matching speeds... so all the cars behind them cant pass. Or in another case, they take like a 5 second reaction time to start moving on green that by the time the 4th car passes the intersection, it turns red and traps everyone behind.

Whoa! You just hit on two of my pet peeves.

I HATE it when someone on a two lane road gets up behind the car in front him and will neither pass the car nor leave enough space in between to allow me to pass him without also having to pass the car in front of him.

I also hate people who are so slow to get started from a traffic light. I don't expect them to floor the accelerator, but I do expect them to start moving when the light turns green and the car in front of them has already moved on.

This is especially annoying at the end of exit ramps where there is a stoplight, and you have to turn left. (It's usually a yield sign for those turning right.) Those lights are never green for the exit ramp traffic for very long, and when they turn green when I am several cars back in line, I sit there and fume as I see ten car length gaps develop between the cars that are pulling out and making the turn as I await my turn to do so.

I make sure that I stay right on the bumper of the car ahead of me as I make my turn out of consideration for the people behind me. I don't normally tailgate, but in that situation I am going slow enough that I can stop in a very short distance and should not have to worry about running into the back of the guy ahead of me.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
47_MasoN_47

Yeah I mean I'm not the most patient with people who hesitate at green lights or slow down to 2mph to go around a turn. It is annoying when people expect me to redline every time I'm starting off though. I had a guy behind me the other day that kept honking at me wanting me to turn out in front of traffic. There was twice I could have made it but I'm sure I would have had to get up in the 3400 RPM range to avoid being smashed. I don't see the use in wasting that much gas or risking the personal safety of my fiance or myself either one.

Maybe I should get a bumper sticker that says "I'm hypermiling...you can wait."
Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
I'm usually pulling away faster than anybody around me, go 65+ mph, run 32psi, still got 43.5 mpg last tank (real Shell), 44.6 mpg the tank before (real Conoco). Don't know what I'd get if I actually tried.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Slower speeds = less people making it through each light = more people sitting around getting 0 mpg and polluting the air = defeating your purpose and just pissing everyone off so you can have a false sense of self satisfaction

oh. and gtfo of my way ;)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
47_MasoN_47

Well (I'm sure to the dismay of many people here) I don't really give a rat's ballsack about the environment, I just want to save myself money on gas lol.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i've never been honked at... tho there are some techniques I don't use (like pulse N glide), and I try to keep up with the flow of traffic as much as possible. In city driving you would only notice my slightly slower acceleration, and my tendency to glide to an intersection VERY early in attempt to time the lights so I don't have to stop. There are somedays that I can drive 9.2 miles to work and only have to stop two or three times.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
When in traffic, you have to strike a balance between all-out hypermiling and being courteous. Be "on your game" and always ready to go when the light changes, that often will make up for being a little slow accelerating. Position yourself properly within traffic: try to NOT be the first car in the line at a traffic light, and if possible, get behind something slow like a semi. The people who want to go fast will be less likely to line up behind you that way.

I'm proud of myself. I've been slacking lately because so many of my trips are short and getting good mileage on short trips is difficult at best. Today I had to drive over to the beach for a meeting. About 20 miles across the county and back. (not rural county... all pretty urban) Averaged 49 mpg on the way there and 52 on the way home for a daily average of something like 50.6. Good to know that I (and the car) can still do it!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I accelerate moderately anyway. You don't give up much on that, as long as you don't stomp the pedal down to where the engine goes open loop and smoky. Where I get the A-hole behavior is from simply obeying all the posted speed limits. Most people seem to think they have a right to break the law. I used to do it all the time myself. I just ignore the rudeness.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Do you guys just put up with the impatient a-holes honking and screaming at you when starting off at redlights and stopsigns? I generally find myself letting the car get up to 2500 RPM or so when starting because the person behind me looks like they are going to have an aneurysm. Do the rest of you have to put up with that crap? Maybe the drivers in my area are just a-holes. I know the vast majority of people here have no idea how to drive.
Don't take it too hard. Maybe they're not yelling at you as much as the Yaris..they probably just think your little car is nutless.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I accelerate moderately rather than slowly, but shift at 2,000 RPM. This is the olive branch that I offer to all of the egos around me.

However, I live in the right lane, and once I'm doing the speed limit, or 55 MPH on the highway, I don't give a flying frack what anyone behind me thinks or wants. I've never been honked at but I have been passed by many an intent driver while coasting in to a RED light at low speed. Go figure.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
If youre doing the speed limit, in the slow lane then they have nothing to say.
BTW the guy blasting past you in the fast lane is me....
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #16
47_MasoN_47

Thanks for the tips, I've noticed that as Loren said it does help a lot not to be first in line. It's much easier for me to keep it below 2000 RPM accelerating when I'm somewhere in the middle.

I took a trip to Nashville on Tuesday and was letting it roll just to see how it would do (I was going about 80 the whole time). I just filled up today but haven't had time to do a mileage check. I'm pretty sure that even with the fast driving I got better mileage than I normally do in town.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Yeah, people are a little rude sometimes when you try to drive anywhere near the speed limit. I try to keep it at 5 over, I think that's reasonable. If they don't like that, they can find a way to pass me. And if they tailgate too closely, I just slow down.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Having done it myself most of my life, and often quite flagrantly, I'm not being self-righteous here, but doesn't it seem insane to set legal speed limits and disregard them? Worse, to regard those who follow them as rude transgressors of etiquette? Or even as dangerous obstacles? Seems like a simple proposition to me, either you obey the law or you break it. Break that one and you might as well break any other. I think the popular disregard of speed limits is something that has promoted a lot of other illegal activity. Lots of speed limits are unreasonably low, as I well know from obeying them, and it seems that the traffic engineers must set them that way so the scofflaws driving 15 MPH over them will be reasonably safe. That just encourages disrespect for the law. Strange situation we've set up in this country.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote