Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #55
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
ok I do not remember the times before 1989 since I was 4 but the Communism was also here. yeah we were unlucky to be in the east block after world war second :( look at the countries like spain and italy etc if they were under Communism for such a long time it would be the same.
now the situation is good in Slovakia I can't complain (of course there are better places to live) but this is y homeland. and before crisis we were the fast growing economy in Europe :)
but I haven't shown ID to buy a oil or sugar ;)
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #56
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
i miss 99 cent gas

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #57
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
i miss 99 cent gas
So do I! Last time I bought gas for under a dollar was 1998 in Altoona, PA. There was a price war between two mom and pop gas stations. One station got down to 92 cents!

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #58
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
i miss 99 cent gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
So do I! Last time I bought gas for under a dollar was 1998 in Altoona, PA. There was a price war between two mom and pop gas stations. One station got down to 92 cents!
I remember paying between $0.89 and $0.99 a gallon when I first started driving in mid 1999... (Lehigh Valley, PA)

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #59
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I think a fair and easy to calculate price for fuel is $1 a gallon. That's just what it should always be.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #60
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I think a fair and easy to calculate price for fuel is $1 a gallon. That's just what it should always be.
that would be so nice, I can handle spending $11 to fill my tank.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #61
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
that would be so nice, I can handle spending $11 to fill my tank.
Oh yeah...
Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #62
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Why not making it even easier to calculate and make the damn thing free

Like air. After all, we're burning more air than fuel and we don't have to pay for it
Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #63
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Why not making it even easier to calculate and make the damn thing free

Like air. After all, we're burning more air than fuel and we don't have to pay for it
you know if they could figure out how, they'd tax the air we breathe.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #64
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
you know if they could figure out how, they'd tax the air we breathe.
Who's "they"?

No, honestly, aren't "they" us? I mean, a neighbor, a cousin, an uncle, working for uncle Sam? And more importantly, didn't we put them there?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #65
chrisj

I think $1 is fair. That's all I'm going to pay from now on. :)
Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #66
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
If gas was 1 dollar a gallon there would be alot more GIANT suv's like excursions and suburbans with one soccer mom yacking on her cell phone blocking up the roadways and cutting people off. Since the fuel prices have gone up the small car competition has gotten better and there are alot more small cars to choose from. I just don't see how people think 20 bucks a week in a yaris is alot of money for transportation.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #67
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Seconded. Fuel IS cheap in North America, and always has been; just because one can remember a buck a gallon, rest assured that everything else has gone up INCLUDING wages.

I started driving 40mpg+ cars when fuel was 35c a gallon (Imp), simply because I saw no reason to herd a couple of tons of iron from place to place with just me in it. Eventually the habit stuck, which is why I drive a Yaris now. The Europeans have always paid far more for fuel than we have, and that paid off in more efficient vehicles over history. Why do we feel that we "deserve" cheaper fuel than anyone else??
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #68
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Seconded. Fuel IS cheap in North America, and always has been; just because one can remember a buck a gallon, rest assured that everything else has gone up INCLUDING wages.

I started driving 40mpg+ cars when fuel was 35c a gallon (Imp), simply because I saw no reason to herd a couple of tons of iron from place to place with just me in it. Eventually the habit stuck, which is why I drive a Yaris now. The Europeans have always paid far more for fuel than we have, and that paid off in more efficient vehicles over history. Why do we feel that we "deserve" cheaper fuel than anyone else??
It's not so much the idea of cheaper than anyone else. It's more being cheaper across the board, no matter where you live.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #69
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtech View Post
If gas was 1 dollar a gallon there would be alot more GIANT suv's like excursions and suburbans with one soccer mom yacking on her cell phone blocking up the roadways and cutting people off.
That's one thing I noticed when gas briefly got close to $4 a gallon in my area. Lots of room on the road! I loved that! My wife and I also started a trend of combining trips whenever possible which we have continued, even with the Yaris. Like a couple of people have said here, there's no reason to waste gas no matter if it were cheap or not.

We in America have that open-road, pony-car, I'll-never-take-public-transportation, yippee-kye-yay mentality that has been ingrained in us since forever. I'm 54 and all I wanted as a teenager was some fast, gas-hungry car I could go speeding down the road in. You see it today, in all the teenagers who want Mustangs or Chargers or Camaros or anything that has POWER. So, generation after generation is getting continually brainwashed by the American automakers that they really don't care as much about gas prices and saving natural resources as they do showing off in front of their buddies. And on it goes as they get older...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #70
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
That's one thing I noticed when gas briefly got close to $4 a gallon in my area. Lots of room on the road! I loved that! My wife and I also started a trend of combining trips whenever possible which we have continued, even with the Yaris. Like a couple of people have said here, there's no reason to waste gas no matter if it were cheap or not.

We in America have that open-road, pony-car, I'll-never-take-public-transportation, yippee-kye-yay mentality that has been ingrained in us since forever. I'm 54 and all I wanted as a teenager was some fast, gas-hungry car I could go speeding down the road in. You see it today, in all the teenagers who want Mustangs or Chargers or Camaros or anything that has POWER. So, generation after generation is getting continually brainwashed by the American automakers that they really don't care as much about gas prices and saving natural resources as they do showing off in front of their buddies. And on it goes as they get older...
I don't think that's the mindset of all teenagers. When I was a teenager I wanted a BMW because of its looks. I didn't know anything about HP. When I got my license at nearly 24, I already wanted a fuel economy car. I lived off public transit for over 20 years in the snow and all over the country. I was happy just having a car and could care less about going 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. Try hauling groceries in a shopping cart for 8 blocks getting yelled at as a kid or carrying a 20lb bag of rice for over 1 mile.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #71
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Who's "they"?

No, honestly, aren't "they" us? I mean, a neighbor, a cousin, an uncle, working for uncle Sam? And more importantly, didn't we put them there?
Or they could be someone we have no control over.UN global tax.

And they are not necessarily someone anyone voted for. Come on, there have been enough dead people voting to make anyone wonder about the way our elections really work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtech View Post
If gas was 1 dollar a gallon there would be alot more GIANT suv's like excursions and suburbans with one soccer mom yacking on her cell phone blocking up the roadways and cutting people off. Since the fuel prices have gone up the small car competition has gotten better and there are alot more small cars to choose from. I just don't see how people think 20 bucks a week in a yaris is alot of money for transportation.
The fact that oil companies pay more money in taxes than they earn in profits is disgusting. It is not anybodies job to tell others what to do or drive.

We are suppose to be a free country, tons of taxes was never suppose to be part of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post

Because we are smart enough to not allow our government to steal our money? Because we realize the majority of the rest of the worlds gas cost is taxes, and we would rather spend the money somewhere else? Because we don't want the government to control anything, never mind everything, and we would rather be left alone to take care of ourselves.

This is the problem, people just assuming we pay the right amount, when the cost is so much due to governments stealing our money, and nothing to do with the product.
Quote:

Saving natural resources? It is against the law for the US to use any of its natural resources.

And then, people should be allowed to do what they want, not what some governmental peon tells them to.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #72
chrisj

Well, hopefully I am being successful in talking my 17-year-old son into a Yaris. I just asked him if he wanted to work and spend a fair portion of his money on gas. Who would? Most everyone in the U.S. would, I guess.