Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #127
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
also hes forgetting maybe that hes on a yaris forum..
No, I'm not. I own a Yaris, and I like it a lot. I also happen to now own a Phit, which I feel is a better car. I think there is room on this forum to compare the Yaris to other similar cars...don't you?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #128
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
No, I'm not. I own a Yaris, and I like it a lot. I also happen to now own a Phit, which I feel is a better car. I think there is room on this forum to compare the Yaris to other similar cars...don't you?
There's a difference between comparison and fanboyism. You're dangerously close to the latter.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #129
bobby

I don't think I'm being a fanatic about the Phit, but I certainly am enthusiastic. It's a wonderful car.

Has anybody come across an auto magazine review or an online auto review which declares the Yaris is an overall better car than the Phit? I have not seen one.

The bottom line is, we all love Japanese cars, and would never be caught dead in an American car. (EWWWWW)
Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #130
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
It's one thing to be happy with a Fit over the Yaris, it's another thing to spout out false things comparing the two and not taking criticisms with an open mind. We're all here to share information, but if you want Honda fanboy praise for your Fit, we all know where you need to go for that.

This is YARISworld, not Fitworld, or even Subcompact(as in general)world.

and in regards to you saying you're not a fanatic?

Quote:
What can I say...I am becoming a Phit Phreak!
Two posts ago... I'm just sayin'
Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #131
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Funny you should say this, because a fully loaded Yaris cost the same as a Corolla or Matrix, and the Camry base model comes in at just a few thousand more. What exactly was your point?

Fully loaded yaris or a Fit Sport (No nav), same price, the Fit is MORE car...

If you don't like it (or Honda), just say it... Both economy cars are becoming less economy priced.
I love the Fit. It was in the running but I couldn't afford it. And Honda is my favorite company along with Toyota. In fact, I work at an Acura dealer full time.

I was just pointing out that almost $20k is just a bit too steep for most people interested in a sub-compact.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #132
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
this is why wars go on 'til this day ... . I think both cars are very good . The FIT is much smarter choice than a HUMMER or large S.U.V.s ( or should I say C.U.V., nothing more than rounded corners and lowered roof ) , which I view as a true foe to the FIT , YARIS . The seats are better in the FIT , test drove several ( '07 and '08 ) and they are more comfortable . The seating arrangement for cargo is much better as well . The sliding / split back seats should be standard feature like that of the XD , not an option with the power package to get more profit .
Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #133
bobby

Attached Images

Old 11-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #134
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
it's pretty clear to me that honda has raised the bar as far as subcompacts are concerned with the release of the new fit,
the yaris is still a great car and when considering overall price (from sticker to operating costs) is still the better choice.

i think the future of subcompacts is that they will be outfitted with more of the amenities of larger, more expensive vehicles and people will pay for it in the name of better fuel economy,
the fit clearly is moving in this direction.

i don't think it's too subjective to say that the new 09 fit is the better car, but it is more expensive.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #135
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
mpg = yaris is better
price overall = yaris is better
looks wise= yaris rear end is better..i kinna like the new front for the phit.
0-60= as far as i know the yaris can do 8.5 sec which is same as the new phit

now if we gonna talk about interior then the phit win that foh sure..
Old 11-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #136
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
mpg = yaris is better

Good points.

I chose a car with what in my opinion is a less comfortable steering wheel made with what appears to me to be a little lower quality materials because when I'm buying an economy car total cost of ownership is the major deciding factor for me.

The Yaris costs less to:

buy
maintain
fuel

Buy what you want, but if I was buying a small car for it's fun value I would have bought a mini, which blows the Fit out of the water in every category which matters in a segment like that. In my opinion the Fit is a car with an identity crisis. It costs more than a Yaris, and is geared irresponsibly so that it gets worse fuel economy. The Fit has no where near the performance level or luxurious amenities as the Mini which costs more than the Fit.

If you're into compromise (or just like the Fit) the Fit is perfect, but if you want economy or luxury it's far from the best choice in the compact segment.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #137
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Good points.

I chose a car with what in my opinion is a less comfortable steering wheel made with what appears to me to be a little lower quality materials because when I'm buying an economy car total cost of ownership is the major deciding factor for me.

The Yaris costs less to:

buy
maintain
fuel

Buy what you want, but if I was buying a small car for it's fun value I would have bought a mini, which blows the Fit out of the water in every category which matters in a segment like that. In my opinion the Fit is a car with an identity crisis. It costs more than a Yaris, and is geared irresponsibly so that it gets worse fuel economy. The Fit has no where near the performance level or luxurious amenities as the Mini which costs more than the Fit.

If you're into compromise (or just like the Fit) the Fit is perfect, but if you want economy or luxury it's far from the best choice in the compact segment.
The mini doesn't compare to an MR2 and they are way cheaper in all aspects.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #138
bobby

The Phit is an economy car...the Mini (much more expensive) is essentially a sports car. You're comparing apples & oranges. If you want to compare, you need to look at the Yaris, Versa, Aveo, Accent & Phit. The Mini (which I love, I think it's terribly cute) is in a different class.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #139
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
mpg = yaris is better

I think I have figured out the Yaris / Fit MPG Pros and Cons for AUTOMATICS ONLY, since that's what I own.

The Yaris seems to get better city MPGs when NOT hypermiling. Normal driving by normal people. (ie - Folks who would never want or use a ScanGuage, like my wife)

The Fit shines in MPGs on the Highway when NOT hypermiling.

The Fit has 5 gears with what seems to be overdrive as well since my RPMs will drop when cruising eventhough i'm already in 5th gear.

My Yaris, with cruise control wont get much above 40MPG at 65MPH.
The Fit just loves 65MPH and gets close to 50MPG at 60 MPH with cruise control.

If you do mostly highway travel, the Fit may be your buddy, by about 10MPG. If you are city mostly, the Yaris is the car for you.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #140
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i did not know that.. the new fit with 118hp can do 50mpg on hwy.. wow.. then again i did 45 mpg going 100 km/hr 95% on hwy on the way to camping last summer ..and thats me not using hypermill though..
Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #141
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
i did not know that.. the new fit with 118hp can do 50mpg on hwy.. wow.. then again i did 45 mpg going 100 km/hr 95% on hwy on the way to camping last summer ..and that sme not using hypermill though..
I got 46.6 MPG going through mountains with my Fit. This MPG was calculated at the pump, not using the Fit's MPG guage.

My jaw dropped to the ground when I calculated this.

I may be doing a Roanoke trip shortly so I can do another pure highway test. I will be going through rural highways with some lights. My Yaris has gotten wicked MPGs while hypermiling this route, like 46 MPG. This will be an interesting test.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #142
voodoo22

Quote:
The Phit is an economy car...the Mini (much more expensive) is essentially a sports car. You're comparing apples & oranges. If you want to compare, you need to look at the Yaris, Versa, Aveo, Accent & Phit. The Mini (which I love, I think it's terribly cute) is in a different class.
When we bought our Yaris an equally equipped Fit was a little less than 3000 more and a Mini was less than 3000 more than a Fit.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #143
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktiger60 View Post
The mini doesn't compare to an MR2 and they are way cheaper in all aspects.
MR2's were fun cars, but they don't compare to the new Mini's in many regards except fun. The MR2 was a 2 seater mid engine car.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #144
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I think I have figured out the Yaris / Fit MPG Pros and Cons for AUTOMATICS ONLY, since that's what I own.

The Yaris seems to get better city MPGs when NOT hypermiling. Normal driving by normal people. (ie - Folks who would never want or use a ScanGuage, like my wife)

The Fit shines in MPGs on the Highway when NOT hypermiling.

The Fit has 5 gears with what seems to be overdrive as well since my RPMs will drop when cruising eventhough i'm already in 5th gear.

My Yaris, with cruise control wont get much above 40MPG at 65MPH.
The Fit just loves 65MPH and gets close to 50MPG at 60 MPH with cruise control.

If you do mostly highway travel, the Fit may be your buddy, by about 10MPG. If you are city mostly, the Yaris is the car for you.
Out of over 60 full tanks on our AT Yaris Sedan I've only had 3 tanks (39.8, 39.2 and 37.6) less than 40 US MPG and all of those tanks were driving 75 mph + on highway trips. I also have some over 40 MPG tanks driving those speeds.

My worst tank by far was driving 75 mph minimum and upwards to 80 mph on an entire tank in the rain and wind.

If I drove a steady 65 mph on my commute I would consistently get over 40 and closer to or over 44 MPG, If I drove 65 mph on a highway trip (so there would be no city driving) I would get closer to 47 MPG. If I drove a steady 60 mph in our Yaris sedan I would also get close to 50 MPG, maybe 47-49 MPG.

In my experience, our Yaris isn't capable of breaking 50 MPG on an entire tank without engaging in slower than 60 mph though(I drive 50 -55 to get those numbers), so if you're getting 50 mpg and going 60 mph, that is better than the Yaris. I haven't seen anyone else report numbers like that yet. This is great news for you and hopefully for all the new Fit owners. I just don't understand why I'm not seeing any other Fit owners on cleanmpg reporting numbers like this.
Closed Thread