Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #163
chew246214

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan base
old cars throttles stuck all the time, the fix was if you were driving put it to the floor a few times to unstick it..... when you got home lube it up... that was it...... Nothing to lube on newer ones.... if the cable breaks usually it will go back to the fully closed neutral position and no extra throttle would be given....Oh I also forgot 2004-2005 durango's had a recall on sticking trottes a few people drove through walls and such.. people didn't bug out about that one.....
chew246214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #164
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew246214 View Post
old cars throttles stuck all the time, the fix was if you were driving put it to the floor a few times to unstick it..... when you got home lube it up... that was it...... Nothing to lube on newer ones.... if the cable breaks usually it will go back to the fully closed neutral position and no extra throttle would be given....Oh I also forgot 2004-2005 durango's had a recall on sticking trottes a few people drove through walls and such.. people didn't bug out about that one.....
This is being blown way out of proportion. Expect to see lots of news on other issues with 'foreign' cars as the US auto industry desperately tries to play catch up.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #165
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Expect to see lots of news on other issues with 'foreign' cars as the US auto industry desperately tries to play catch up.
+ a trillion

that is what ALL of this is about, nothing else.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 AM   #166
paguy717

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 DR Auto Liftback
Thumbs down Toyota in Europe Recalling the Yaris for Brake Issues....BUT NOT IN THE USA?!!

This seems of great worry to me. Toyota is recalling Yaris among others in Europe for the very serious Gas Pedal Issues, but not the the USA!! What is going on here? I have a 2009 Yaris 3 Door Auto Hatchback and will be calling my local dealership tomorrow morning about this. Here is the part of the article below.

On Friday, Toyota gave details of its European recall. It said its Aygo, iQ, Yaris, Auris, Corolla, Verso, Avensis and RAV4 models are all affected by the gas-pedal problem and the recall will affect some models made as far back as February 2005.

Including Friday's action in Europe, the Japanese company has now recalled 9.5 million vehicles since late last year over two issues—5.4 million for floor mat entrapment issues and 4.1 million for a sticky gas pedal problem. That is 22% more than the 7.8 million vehicles Toyota sold world-wide last year.

Last edited by paguy717; 01-31-2010 at 01:44 AM.
paguy717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #167
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
well first off don't call them and ask about brake issues or brake pedal issues as it's a gas pedal recall.

and secondly, do you honestly think they would recall millions of vehicles in a handful of countries and then just decide to lie about the u.s. yaris? it's probably built in a different factory than the europe yarii and so it probably doesn't have the gas pedal issue. which is why they aren't recalling it.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #168
paguy717

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 DR Auto Liftback
LOL good to know you feel super confident there Frown. Dont jinx yourself
paguy717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 AM   #169
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
why is everyone freaking out?
If it happend to you, just pop it in neutral and cut it off....
then go see the dealer, haha :D

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #170
frownonfun

yeah i'm really not too worried about it. i have a tundra which is included in the recall and you're certainly not gonna see me wasting my time taking it up to the dealership to get the pedals cut down or replaced or whatever it is they have decided to do with them now. the mats are clipped to the floor!! where's it gonna go?

it's all much ado about nothing if you ask me. feel sorry for those people who died but i really think they must have been morons. people die doing all sorts of things that millions of others do on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever. i guess it's probably in toyota's overall best interests in terms of PR but i can't imagine this is really saving that many lives that probably weren't already doomed anyway if they don't know how to put a car into neutral and turn a key.

and i'm sorry paguy717 if i've come across as a jerk. i'm really not. this recall thing just really strikes a nerve. i'm not even sure why.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #171
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Not everyone knows about putting a car in neutral if it's accelerating uncontrollably. It's not something they taught at driving school. Add that to the fact that people tend to freak out in those kinds of situations and reaction times are different for everyone.

Don't go around calling people morons.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #172
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Not everyone knows about putting a car in neutral if it's accelerating uncontrollably. It's not something they taught at driving school. Add that to the fact that people tend to freak out in those kinds of situations and reaction times are different for everyone.

BUT, it's your responsibility to prepare yourself and throttle sticking is not something new for mechanical configurations. AAMOF, it can happen fairly easily depending on conditions.

I do think that it should be part of a standard driving test/pass though. That combined with being able to change your own flat tire like they do in parts of Europe. People have become so helpless.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #173
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
BUT, it's your responsibility to prepare yourself and throttle sticking is not something new for mechanical configurations. AAMOF, it can happen fairly easily depending on conditions.

I do think that it should be part of a standard driving test/pass though. That combined with being able to change your own flat tire like they do in parts of Europe. People have become so helpless.
So true. People are only able to call help via cell phone today. Once my girlfriend had a flat tire on the autobahn. She managed to get to the exit and guess what ... she parked her car in the middle of an intersection and called me on the phone. She told me a co-worker will pick her up and i should take care of the car. When i arrived at the scene i was speechless. The car was literally parked in the middle of an intersection. I was very glad the police didnt see that. Had to pull it off the street to change the tire.

Anyways it seems quite easy to get a license in the US. My cousins went to a highschool in Alabama (they play american football)) and they made it in a couple of days. It needs much more money and effort here to get a license. Cost me about 2200$ back in 1995 to get a license for cars and a motorcycle over here. Its even more expensive nowadays.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #174
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post

the person i'm referring to was a california state highway patrol for goodness sake. how do you become a highway patrol and not know what neutral does? just seems like if anyone would have been prepared for an emergency situation in a vehicle it'd be a highway patrolman.

and it's frickin neutral!! that's the first thing that came to mind to do when i read the story for the first time and my drivers education consisted solely of driving around orange cones in a parking lot.

i think if you have the inability to figure some things out on your own then sorry but that makes you kind of a moron. when i signed the lease for my apartment they didn't instruct me on exactly what to do if there is a fire since i live upstairs. because that is something that's really my responsibility to figure out.

on a side note the only reason the mat got stuck in this case was because it wasn't even the correct mat for that particular vehicle. so if you have the correct mats in your car then you really don't have much to worry about.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #175
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Funny thing is, the first thing I think of when a car accelerates uncontrollably are the brakes! Even on our small cars, if you stand on the brakes it will slow the car down to a stop.

Again, there aren't news reports of Toyotas crashing all over the place. Obviously this is a concern but not a huge safety issue as otherwise those with the vehicles affected would not be allowed to drive them. Toyota has already received clearance from the Federal Government for the fix, and on 8 Feb will restart production and sales of the eight models affected by last week's recall.

By the way, the repair that US regulators cleared is a "selective spacer," or shim, that would be inserted into the gas-pedal assembly to increase tension within the pedal to prevent the accelerator from remaining in a depressed position.

But don't fall victim to the sensationalized media coverage of this. As a matter of fact, I can't recall reading about one accident or injury caused by either of the recalls...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #176
waybig

Drives: car
hmm...what kind of dealership is this?

waybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #177
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybig View Post
hmm...what kind of dealership is this?

Probably one requiring a government bailout!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #178
waybig

Drives: car
or Honda. whichever.
waybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #179
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybig View Post
or Honda. whichever.

Honda just announced a recall too..

"Honda said it would recall 646,000 of its Fit/Jazz and City models, including 140,000 in the United States, because of a faulty window switch, after a child died when fire broke out in a car last year."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100129/bs_nm/us_toyota
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #180
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
So, you want to talk about slimy tactics - On Saturday I receive an official looking envelope that says "Important Toyota Recall Information" on the outside of the envelope. I open it and it's a letter from one of the local Nissan dealers offering a $1500 credit for my "recalled" car towards the purchase of a new Nissan...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote