Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
anyone else getting water in/on their AFE intake?

Drove through the rain for the first time tonight since installing the AFE intake. Decided to check on it when I got home and to my surprise, there was a decent amount of water on the bottom of the heat shield and when feeling the filter, could definately tell it was getting misted or actual rain on it. It looks like the water is coming through the crease between the bumper and the hood, or the corner of the hood and headlight.

I took the filter off to check inside of it and it seemed dry as a bone in it and didn't see any trace of water or condensation inside the intake pipe, so I guess I'm alright. Just wondering if anyone else has/is experiencing this issue? And if so, what have you done to correct it?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
If water is getting in from the gap between the hood then you should pick up the MI hood seal kit. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ight=hood+seal There's enough material to do the gaps between the lights and the bumper.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
No but i did notice the heat shield where its bolted to the battery is broken. I think too much engine movement and constant tugging on the shield.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
If water is getting in from the gap between the hood then you should pick up the MI hood seal kit.
Not really necessary. Engine bay designed to get soaked during rain. Even with "hood seal kit" engine bay still get wet. Just avoid standing water. Hydrolock is #1 killer of 1NZ.
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
Not really necessary. Engine bay designed to get soaked during rain. Even with "hood seal kit" engine bay still get wet. Just avoid standing water. Hydrolock is #1 killer of 1NZ.
Sorry , but with the hood seal and where the heat sheild is fitted
no water gets into my AFE , and there are quite a lot of people using them
now , as well that will back this up
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
H3LlIoN

I'm not saying it won't prevent water from dripping down on the top of the afe, i'm just saying it's not necessary.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
detroiter

I'd imagine I'd have to be driving in the Great Lakes to actually submerge or put standing water all the way up to the afe intake lol. I guess if I didn't want to go the hood seal route, where can I purchase one of those hydrolock cover/sleeves to throw over the filter? I thought they are only like 10 bucks or so but are very waterproof, yet they allow the filter to breathe just fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Hydrolock is #1 killer of 1NZ.
really? I haven't heard of one person on the forum have their car die from hydrolock, let alone the engine being damaged.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
H3LlIoN

Roomate is a toyota tech...that's what he says kills all the ones that have to be replaced across the board.

As to the hydrolock sleeves, tyvek is the same thing, although not as pretty as what you might find at an autoparts store.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
get 'r done
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Roomate is a toyota tech...that's what he says kills all the ones that have to be replaced across the board.
I was searching on scionlife since I couldn't find anything about hydrolock killing any yaris's's's engines. I found an interesting post, and maybe Tamago can help explain why so many of your toyota tech's engines that get replaced are "due to hydrolock."

http://scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79099

So, just because a toyota tech says hydrolock to get out of a warranty, doesn't mean it is actually hydrolock.

I still think that out of the thousands of yaris owners posting here and thousands more 1NZ owners on scionlife we'd hear about more hydrolock if it were such a huge issue. 99% of posts I've searched are just people telling other people their car will hydrolock if they install an aftermarket filter.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #12
H3LlIoN

Wow, I can't believe he folded that easy.

Anyway, "My Toyota Tech" had three come through the shop that were legitimately hydro-locked. None of them were modded in any way, and were basically cases of ignorant people driving through deep standing water and flooding the things. When he looked it up in the database, it was listed as #1 reason for whole engine replacement on the 1NZ. Whether or not the other cases were legitimate, we obviously can't confirm, but that's the case at our particular local. Then again, we also have at least one serious flood a year, so we tend to be a bit more susceptible than some other places, which might explain why it's not so prolific.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #13
H3LlIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
get 'r done
as long as I don't have to hear it. Dumb f#%ki&g rednecks...

Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Wow, I can't believe he folded that easy.
short answer? i didn't.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 AM   #15
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
You'll be fine, I've driven through pounding rain for 5 hours straight and had no problems at all.
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
If its nerve racking, i suggest Ingen Hydra Shield covers. About $10-$15 shipped to any state....

I have it on my intake, and my intake sits right where the foglight cover is, lower than you guys...gets wet during any amount of rain, but the shield helps it from being wet.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
henrystyle

Drives: 2010 5 door yaris
Anyone have any pics of there hood seal kit install?
henrystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #18
detroiter

I'll try and take some for you tomorrow....necrothread ressurection by the way lol
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.