Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Deshi Basara

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
OEM Speedometer with tachomter

I have a manual car and it only came with a speedometer. I am wanting to buy the OEM speedometer with tachometer from ebay to install in my car. I am wondering if it will fit my car. Also, does this forum have any instructions on how to do it?
Deshi Basara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Welcome to the club...your best bet is to get a Canadian one, as they're readily available, though in Imperial Units. There are a number of people who have done or researched the swap, as almost everyone with the manual model wants the tach.

As far as compatibility, read this thread: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20371

As far as sourcing and OEM USDM one...good luck. First off, your mileage is stored on a stand alone chip, and will need to be programmed on to the new cluster. Toyota can do this with the TechStream tool, but will probably not be cheap, if they do it at all. Odds are, they won't even order an OEM tach and program it for you.

I have a friend who's a Toyo tech, and would do the programming for me, but HIS cost on the cluster is about $370. I've been searching local junk yards and eBay for better part of two years to find one.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
Welcome to the club...your best bet is to get a Canadian one, as they're readily available, though in Imperial Units. There are a number of people who have done or researched the swap, as almost everyone with the manual model wants the tach.

As far as compatibility, read this thread: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20371

As far as sourcing and OEM USDM one...good luck. First off, your mileage is stored on a stand alone chip, and will need to be programmed on to the new cluster. Toyota can do this with the TechStream tool, but will probably not be cheap, if they do it at all. Odds are, they won't even order an OEM tach and program it for you.

I have a friend who's a Toyo tech, and would do the programming for me, but HIS cost on the cluster is about $370. I've been searching local junk yards and eBay for better part of two years to find one.
Actually, I have a Techstream and it doesn't let you program the clusters either. A dealer would simply slap a label on the door frame with the odometer discrepancy and would send notification to DMV. There are some third party services where you can send the cluster to have the EEPROM with the odo data reprogrammed.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I had a feeling I was wrong on the TechStream. I could have sworn that my buddy told me they could reprogram it with some tool though, as long as you brought the car in for mileage and VIN verification...

If it's just an EEPROM, it can't be that hard to program...can you provide any specifics on the chip/data/encryption Scott?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Deshi Basara

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
Man, that suck!! I don't want to go through all of that trouble then. I guess I would rather get an aftermarket one and install it as a supplement. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Deshi Basara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Or just move to Canada .. I have a stock tach / speedo and it works just fine.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Or just move to Canada .. I have a stock tach / speedo and it works just fine.
...or trade it in for a '10 USDM... I got one with the stock speedo/tach, too!

Weird how they randomly put them in different years, models, markets, etc.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote