Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #91
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Are you using a sandwich plate at the oil filter mount, or are you just removing the stock dummy sensor to plug the sender into?

I'll be wiring up oil pressure, oil temp and hopefully an afr gauge next summer. I agree it's very valuable to know when the engine is being pushed.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #92
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
There is no way to use a sandwich plate adaptor on the 2zr, it has a canister filter. The gauge sensor goes where the dummy light switch is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (82.5 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-30-2016 at 01:14 PM.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #93
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I would like everyone to read through this guide and inform me of any unclear elements. Also, Is this thread going to be a sticky or will it disappear once everyone gets over the excitement
Old 01-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #94
7:34pm

Drives: 07 Yaris
I've been following this thread since start, and I know it's a long shot...

But I think it would be helpful to see something like this (below), so that people can get sense of what their options are.

I recall you saying the Xd swap was easy, only four wires, and I think a lot of people thought the corolla swap was going to be the same idea. That's probably why the confusion in the earlier pages when they saw you doing the wiring.

Would be nice to outline what was used for the swap, as far as what ECU is needed, what axles are compatible, transmission options, what mounts to use, technical difficulty of wire splicing involved, etc. I know you haven't done the Matrix swap, yet , but that could stay blank for now...

You should also do up a DIY on that oil pressure gauge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (33.6 KB, 439 views)
7:34pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #95
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Yeah.....Im not creating a chart. If you or someone else wants to create a chart ill be happy to share the info with you. I did however add a list of components to post #1.

Update: 232 problem free miles accumulated so far, no CEL, and EVERYTHING works fine. My first autocross is tomorrow, look for the video on my YouTube channel or FB page.

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-31-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:37 PM   #96
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:34pm
I've been following this thread since start, and I know it's a long shot...

But I think it would be helpful to see something like this (below), so that people can get sense of what their options are.
It depends on what exactly you want the chart to contain. Are you looking at basic compatibility, or do you want all of the gory details like wire swap/pin locations?
Quote:
I recall you saying the Xd swap was easy, only four wires, and I think a lot of people thought the corolla swap was going to be the same idea. That's probably why the confusion in the earlier pages when they saw you doing the wiring.
If you choose carefully, there's not a lot of wiring involved. The hurdle that Armstrong was up against was that his wire harness arrived without the fuse box connectors. It was just chopped off, so he had to splice in the connections. That said, I think the sedan connectors aren't compatible with the Corolla wire harness anyway, so you'd have to either sacrifice the original sedan wire harness or score one from a junk yard. The other option is to use both the 1NZ and 2ZR wire harnesses: strip them all the way down and then move wires/pins to the connectors that go on the finished vehicle.
Quote:
Would be nice to outline what was used for the swap, as far as what ECU is needed, what axles are compatible, transmission options, what mounts to use, technical difficulty of wire splicing involved, etc. I know you haven't done the Matrix swap, yet , but that could stay blank for now...
The general rule is that the gearbox can stay. If you want the bigger axles and 5x100 hubs, swap in the xD gearbox, axles and hubs. Everything else depends on what wire harness you start with and which year/style your donor and recipient vehicles are. A quick look at the connector diagrams for the Matrix looks like it's identical in layout to the Corolla--though not necessarily the same electrically. Most of the electrical questions can be answered in the repair manual/EWD, which I downloaded at the same time as the Corolla. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #97
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Good info Cranky, good work.

On a side note, the 2zrVios took a foul weather win today in SMF. 2 Civics and a Mini fell victim to the 2zr. You can see a short video clip on my FB page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...1&ref=bookmark
Old 02-01-2016, 05:35 AM   #98
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Good info Cranky, good work.

On a side note, the 2zrVios took a foul weather win today in SMF. 2 Civics and a Mini fell victim to the 2zr. You can see a short video clip on my FB page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...1&ref=bookmark
No need to thank me, just part of what I do for the YW community. =)

I love the comment from the announcer: "...an automatic Yaris! Oh no!"
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #99
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Haha, the amount of trash talk I hear about the auto from people that dont know me is funny...people don't understand circuit racing is 70% driver skill....within classes a small percentage of what makes you a winner is car setup.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #100
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Also, Is this thread going to be a sticky or will it disappear once everyone gets over the excitement
Saving up for this swap as we speak. I'm excited everyday.
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #101
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
...Is this thread going to be a sticky or will it disappear once everyone gets over the excitement
Looks like TK-421 has been active recently. He's one of the few moderators that still checks in. Try sending him a PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #102
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Saving up for this swap as we speak. I'm excited everyday.
Where about in TO. are you located? When you get the engine swap in order let me know I'd love to come help you out. Are you planning on keeping the Yaris m/t and just getting an xD harness?

Anyone have any ideas how you'd go about getting around the engine immobilizer issue? My thoughts are you'd need to purchase the ecu that came with the new engine and remove the stock Yaris ECU. Then you'd probably also need to immobilizer module located on the steering wheel from the donor car and then have to swap that into the yaris.

Problem is, are all of these other parts plug and play when swapped from a donor car to Yaris?

Last edited by tmontague; 02-02-2016 at 09:48 AM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #103
tmontague

FWIW after reading some sites of other car's I came to this conclusion:

If you just swap in a 2zr engine and loom and keep the original ECU,immobilizer and keys then there will be no issue. The immobilizer will read the correct key and alow the car to start and run with no issues.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #104
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

A ECM designed to run the 1nz will NOT run a 2zr.....completely different due to the dual vvti....but hey, everything on the internet must be true right? Lol.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #105
tmontague

yes, very true. I should've clarified my above post. The ECU would not be needed for the immobilizer to work so you could install a matrix ecu for the 2nz and be fine. This was working for some Infinite owners.

Does the immobilizer use the ECU or is it simply just reading the key?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #106
CrankyOldMan

The 08-09 xD did not have an immobilizer. The 09+ Yaris does. From what I can tell, the immobilizer has dedicated signal lines to the ECU. If the signals aren't there, the car won't turn over. My thought is that if the ECU doesn't have the inputs from the immobilizer in the first place, it doesn't matter that the key transponder and immobilizer are still in the vehicle. As far as I can see, there's no other connection from the immobilizer to the starter switch or relays.

Take it with a grain of salt, I haven't actually done the swap.

Edit: Here's the wiring diagram for the Yaris immobilizer. The only communications line that doesn't go directly to the ECU is pin 9, which is wired to the OBD II/DataLinkConnector (pin 7 - SIL). As far as I know, that's only used for external diagnostics. I would add a picture of the xD, but there's nothing to show for unused connections on the diagrams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Immobilizer.JPG (49.1 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 02-02-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #107
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The 08-09 xD did not have an immobilizer. The 09+ Yaris does. From what I can tell, the immobilizer has dedicated signal lines to the ECU. If the signals aren't there, the car won't turn over. My thought is that if the ECU doesn't have the inputs from the immobilizer in the first place, it doesn't matter that the key transponder and immobilizer are still in the vehicle. As far as I can see, there's no other connection from the immobilizer to the starter switch or relays.

Take it with a grain of salt, I haven't actually done the swap.

Edit: Here's the wiring diagram for the Yaris immobilizer. The only communications line that doesn't go directly to the ECU is pin 9, which is wired to the OBD II/DataLinkConnector (pin 7 - SIL). As far as I know, that's only used for external diagnostics. I would add a picture of the xD, but there's nothing to show for unused connections on the diagrams.
The immobilizer is fully linked to the ECM. The Transponder key ECU reads the key and sends the key data to the ECM. Without that data the ECM will not allow the engine to run.

SIL is the K line of ISO-9141. It was used for OBDII diags prior to CAN, but was used for the immobilizer and the comm between the SRS ECU and the ECM on 2nd gen Yaris and various other Toyotas up to 2012.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #108
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The immobilizer is fully linked to the ECM. The Transponder key ECU reads the key and sends the key data to the ECM. Without that data the ECM will not allow the engine to run.

SIL is the K line of ISO-9141. It was used for OBDII diags prior to CAN, but was used for the immobilizer and the comm between the SRS ECU and the ECM on 2nd gen Yaris and various other Toyotas up to 2012.
So even with a non-immobilizer ECM, there's still a chance that the immobilizer will prevent the engine from running (via K-line)? Is the fix for that to just get a non-immobilizer ECM and disconnect the K-line from the transponder key ECU (or remove the transponder system entirely)?