Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
NST (NonStopTuning) Short Shift Kit Info, Specs, User Data...

Hi all,

As many of you know, the NST Short Shift Kit (NST SSK) is now available and many of you have/will be using them on your Yarii.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNST.htm

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNST.htm

Part Number: NSTSSK09
SSK Spec: 30% shorter shifts
MSRP: $98

The purpose of this thread is to allow you guys to share your experiences regarding these items with one another, allow you to share your ideas and comments with those of us at NST, and to hopefully provide you with a good place for some Q&A responses.

Please keep in mind... We here at NST do not stop by these forums nearly as often as we check our website Emails. If you have a specific question for us that requires immediate attention I would highly suggest that you Email us through our website. Alternatively, you can find me on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name NSTonAIM almost all day, every day.

PS. You guys be sure and thank our good friend ChinoCharles for putting up this awesome DIY installation guide...
http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7533

Let the fun begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I installed NST's SSK, SSK2, shifter bushing kit, and cage bushing kit on my Yaris. It can all be viewed on my Web site:

Review and Installation: NST short shifter and bushing kits:
http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...nst-short.html

Direct link to the installation:
http://subcompactculture.com/NST_Dri..._Products.html

In short, anyone thinking about buying these products will not be disappointed. The installation is easy and the results are amazing. The shifter now feels like it was lifted from a high-end sports car. Very nice product, NST!
AWESOME!!!

Last edited by NonStopTuning; 01-27-2009 at 03:32 PM.
NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
OK, so I get to be the first gloater.

Remember way back when when I said that an unnamed company was working on a new SSK? That was Mike at NST. He has been excited about our community from day one and has provided us with all sorts of goodies. He worked extremely hard to make this part happen. It took many iterations and a lot of shipping back and forth from Texas to Ohio, but in the end he made a piece that is absolutely perfect. It fits like a glove. If this impresses you, don't let it. This is how NST always does business.

As far as driver feel, it does exactly as advertised. Shorter throws without modifying the stick. As with any short throw it takes a little more muscle to sink into gear, but once you get used to it this will make your shifts faster without a doubt. This is a great track mod, and because it is easily removable you don't have to be burdened with that difficult shift for daily driving. You can throw this in at the track in two minutes and be whipping around turns in no time. However, there is a good chance you'll love the feel so much that you will want to run this part every day. I know I'm going to.

If you guys get a chance, talk to Mike on AIM. His knowledge on cars is immense, and best of all he is still humble and cool enough to talk to his customers.

Thanks for making this happen for us Mike. You're the greatest. You've got a lifelong supporter here!

... and best of all, NST isn't done yet! Look for more to come from them this summer!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
can't wait. The goodies cease to amaze!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
looks like a really simple design.
how is it able to reduce the amount of distance/movement needed to complete a full shift???

i'm only asking because after looking at cc's diy pics it only seems to move the position of the shifter cable sideways towards the passengers side...

i know what ss's do. i'm a bit confused on the way this designs goes about it.
but if cc says is good, then i'm prob gonna end up getting it after all.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #5
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
it may be 2 in the morning wherte i am and i may be slightly intoxicated, and i amy have the automatic but i amsure damn interested in what that last guy said.

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
looks like a really simple design.
how is it able to reduce the amount of distance/movement needed to complete a full shift???

i'm only asking because after looking at cc's diy pics it only seems to move the position of the shifter cable sideways towards the passengers side...

i know what ss's do. i'm a bit confused on the way this designs goes about it.
but if cc says is good, then i'm prob gonna end up getting it after all.
Exactly, it's like a shorter lever on the engine side, so that your hand ends up pushing a shorter distance to get the same rotation on the engine side.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Hey I just want to throw my comment in here..... I just installed my SSK yesterday afternoon and have been driving on it for a day.... LOVE IT.... this has to be one of the best mods to date... I love the shortened throws, this is how it should have been factory..... I just banging thought the gears now..... Thanx NST and Chino!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Just a quick question, how long does it take to get shipped....I just ordered mine and missed out where it probably said how long it takes to get shipped...

I will post impressions once I receive it and test run it.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
All NST products ship via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days) with Delivery Confirmation after an order and payment have been processed.

Good luck and have fun with your project!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
NST U ROCK!

I installed mine yesterday, this was easy thanks to CC's DIY guide. My female fingers were not strong enough to pull that first pin, needed pliers to grip, otherwise very simple.

My main impression is how well the SSK and lightweight crank pulley complement one another--go together like bread an butter! Makes rev matching MUCH easier--since installing pulley my shift timing was always late, now it's just right!

I like the positive action on the shifter--I guess you could call it notchy but I like it better. Can't wait to see if it helps on auto-x course! I'd say this kit was WELL worth the price and the wait
Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
I got mine today and installed shortly after. Awesome!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
yes, it is notchy, in a good way -- I ripped it up at the track today, and I was VERY GLAD I put the SSK on last night -- thanks NST!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #13
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Just installed mine and went around the block. Shifting feels good and it took 2 minutes to install.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 07-29-2007 at 09:58 AM.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #14
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
Thanks NST i'm happy with mine. got it yesterday installed it today.
mandriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #15
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
works very well with my "dildo shift knob", long shift knob and lshort throws love it!!!!, thanks nst, now bring on the next set of badboys, alt and water pump pulley set. :)

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #16
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Yeah, the install was super easy, fast, and the results is fantastic.

I was a little skeptical about this little piece of metal shortening the shift by 30% however it's very true. To me it seems to shorten the shift by 40% but hey it may all be just in my head.

Overall I recommed this piece for all you manual drivers who hate the long shift. This is a must have piece, for those of you who are skeptical you guys don't know what you're missing out on.

Thanks NST! (haha I sound like a info commercial)
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
I agree. I love love love this thing. Works much better with my driving style and feels so much more sporty. Feels like this 1988 GTI I used to have. Really notchy with a nice solid engagement. I highly recommend!!
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Drives: Scions
Great product! We have some on the shelf.
W: www.dezod.com

Your leading source for all of your performance needs! From turbos and components, to brakes and suspension, Dezod has you covered.
Dezod is offline   Reply With Quote