Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
Manual vs. Auto

I was thinking of getting one with auto.
I can drive a standard, in fact every car I’ve own was a standard.
Oops. Just lied - I had a 1967 Mercury Monterey in college that was
an auto. Anyway, I haven’t had one in a long time and I’m tired of
working both hands and feet driving.
I haven’t done a test drive yet - going tomorrow. I might not get a
chance to test drive both transmissions since they are so scarce. Those
of you that have driven both - what did you think? Which did you
choose to buy?

Oh, my driving habits are on the boring side too, but I still want to be able
to pull out in traffic of course. I guess I’m asking is the auto too sluggish
in your opinion?

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I have driven a A/T sedan and I own a M/T hatch. I found the auto was pretty good , we had four people in the car and 3 of us were over 220lbs. I was surprised that it was that strong. I prefer a manual trans in a small car, just me. Shifting is automatic for me. Most of the time I don't even know I shiftings threw the gears.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Same a s boxerboy, I test drove an AT sedan, but bought a MT hatch. It was no beast by no means, but it drove just as fine (actually it had a little more of a "pull" than my 01 Chevy Prizm, an old Corolla basically).
I personally like MT better, and like boxerboy, shifting is automatic for me, specially now that I'm used to the Yaris Accelerator and clutch.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
Thanks for the input. I’m glad to know you both gave a thumbs up to
the auto even though you both bought manuals. I hope I get the
chance to drive them both, that’s probably the only way I’ll be able
to choose.

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
tds12
This is my other ride.

Drives: Wht, M, Power 2007 yaris HB
Manual

I test drove an auto and manual HB. Bought the manual. I thought the auto did alot of shifting. It was smooth and should be fine. I like to drive a manual especially in a small car.

Auto plus $750.
Manual never needs maintenance. Never.
Auto? Toyota should be fine.
tds12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Adding my two cents, I didn't drive an auto but went immediately for the stick shift. I've always felt the with a stick I drive the car, with automatic I'm merely a steerer. Besides automatics don't get the same mpg's that a stick does.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i own a manual, but drive the auto regularly (work part-time with rental company).

although i prefer the manual and find it a bit peppier, the auto is fun to drive as well and has some surprising pick-up.
i guess it just comes down to personal preference.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
While I would rather have a manual, I actuall prefer the auto for where and how I drive.

I do a lot of highways and stop and go traffic at border crossings and Buffalo traffic and the auto just makes it much more enjoyable.
Nothing is worse or harder on a clutch then stop and go traffic and long highway trips a manual is preety much the same as an auto driving in top gear for hours on end... So in my case there is not benifit from an manual trans.
I have driven both and the Auto was better suited for intown/city driving.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I like driving a manual better but I spend too much time in traffic. I hate having to hold the clutch down for extended periods.

The auto has plenty of pickup. The Yaris is extremely light so pickup is good, even with a smallish engine and an automatic tranny.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
i've never owned an automatic and i live in dallas where traffic is heavy all the time. i take the back roads and don't have to worry about holding down the clutch!
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
doodoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I'm not sure about the automatic, but the manual isn't very exciting. It feels regulated, but maybe its the variable valve timing that takes away the excitement. Also, the electric throttle is slow to respond making the manual kinda boring. Wish I had just got a corolla automatic
doodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Ι like my manual transmission.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
stuffy

Quote:
Nothing is worse or harder on a clutch then stop and go traffic
you dont' have to stop and go in heavy traffic, just back off a good distance from the bumper of the guy in front of you and coast in low gear.
i drive through toronto traffic all the time on the 401 and 403 and i hardly ever have to use my brakes,

also, by giving space in front of you, it allows for merging cars to get on the highway without causing cars to stop and therefore causing the accordion-effect which causes everybody to have to constantly apply their brakes.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
I own an auto Echo and the tranny is acting very well!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
you dont' have to stop and go in heavy traffic, just back off a good distance from the bumper of the guy in front of you and coast in low gear.
i drive through toronto traffic all the time on the 401 and 403 and i hardly ever have to use my brakes,

also, by giving space in front of you, it allows for merging cars to get on the highway without causing cars to stop and therefore causing the accordion-effect which causes everybody to have to constantly apply their brakes.
You clearly have never driven in HEAVY traffic
I'm not talking about highway stop and go traffic, I'm talking about sitting at the border crossing like the Rainbow and peace bridge into Canada and US. Where you can often have to sit in one place for 3-10 minutes before moving ahead 8 feet then another 3-4 minutes. Same with US tolls.
On an average week day it take 30 minutes to an hour to move 1/4 mile or less. often i shut the car off until they move up, start the car move up 8 feet and shut it off again
On the 401-403 I can avaerage 20-30kph on my bike while everyone is almost at a crawl, you can't do that in Atlanta or LA or even downtown NY.
I've driven the 401-403 for 15 years and have NEVER seen traffic like at the customs/borders or in the Major US cities.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #16
stuffy

Quote:
I'm not talking about highway stop and go traffic, I'm talking about sitting at the border crossing like the Rainbow and peace bridge into Canada and US. Where you can often have to sit in one place for 3-10 minutes before moving ahead 8 feet then another 3-4 minutes. Same with US tolls.
well if you are sitting in one place for 3-4 minutes, then the issue of working over the clutch makes no sense, because as you say, you just shut the engine off (or you could put it in neutral)

the 401 is the busiest highway in n.america, if you dont' believe me, look into it.
the traffic is comparable to either l.a., new jersey, new york, take your pick, i've driven in all three.

the excuse that you can't drive like this in heavy traffic is just complete b.s. because i do it all the time.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I have a manual. But I live in the country. So manual is fine. BUt if I lived in a city I'd definetly go with an auto. What with the constant stop and go traffic. And the worst. Traffic jams. I've been in a traffic jam in L.A. and seattle for hours and I wish I'd had an automatic.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #18
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
well if you are sitting in one place for 3-4 minutes, then the issue of working over the clutch makes no sense, because as you say, you just shut the engine off (or you could put it in neutral)

the 401 is the busiest highway in n.america, if you dont' believe me, look into it.
the traffic is comparable to either l.a., new jersey, new york, take your pick, i've driven in all three.

the excuse that you can't drive like this in heavy traffic is just complete b.s. because i do it all the time.

no offense, but i have tried to drive like you stated, and guess what happens when you leave more then a 2 car gap, a car pulls in front of you, using your theory, you would then go into coast, and another car would pull in front, etc... it must take you a long time to travel from a - b??
punch is offline   Reply With Quote