Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Dulcimer42

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris hatchback
super fast acceleration

Buying a used 2009 Yaris hatchback tomorrow. It looks good, drives good, brakes are good. Only one thing. From a stop, you can barely touch the accelerator and it TAKES OFF! My husband thinks it is idling too fast. Buying for the daughter and fear that she wont be extra careful, as she would need to. What would cause this? On the road, it acts fine
Dulcimer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
What constitutes "too fast"?
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
A zippy yaris? Really?
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Haha, most people tend to complain of the opposite. lol

In all seriousness though, this car has a drive-by-wire throttle controller, not a regular cable throttle control. As a result, there is an inherent delay between the moment when you press the accelerator and when the computer receives the signal to accelerate.
Aside from modifying the system, all you can really do is just be gentle with the pedal to prevent this "super fast" acceleration.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
What do you normally drive that would make a Yaris seem "zippy?!?" Even going from my Jeep to my Yaris it doesn't really feel that way... :D
Old 12-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Agreed with Invader166, it takes some time to get used to the Yaris dead accel pedal. Especially if your previous vehicle was a throttle cable, you don't get the same feel or response(the lag invader166 was talking about) from the Yaris DBW so you tend to step further on it and surprise acceleration happens.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTHatch View Post
Agreed with Invader166, it takes some time to get used to the Yaris dead accel pedal. Especially if your previous vehicle was a throttle cable, you don't get the same feel or response(the lag invader166 was talking about) from the Yaris DBW so you tend to step further on it and surprise acceleration happens.
Yep. It took me a few weeks to adjust from the older-school accelerator pedal on my 2000 Honda Accord to the newer, touchier Yaris one. Also, it's a more difficult adjustment period if the Yaris is a manual instead of an automatic (prepare for a few stalls, lol). I still have to be extra careful when wearing my skechers boots versus my dress shoes and such, due to the lack of tactile feedback from the pedals when wearing heavier footwear - meaning that I am more likely to unintentionally give it more gas initially when wearing the boots.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
Dark Paw

Drives: 2006 Toyota Vitz RS. 5spd.
I dont feel the delay that you guys speak of. In contrast my car is very responsive. Compared to my Camry that used a cable. Then again I drive a JDM Vitz RS so idk if that makes a diff

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Dark Paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Check to see if there is a box connected to the accelerator pedal.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #10
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Yes, my 2012 Australian Spec 1.3L has the same touchy throttle response from Idle. This appears to be normal behaviour for many small cars now, as I drove a Holden (same as US Chevrolet) Cruze a few months ago (1.6L Turbo) and it was even touchier.

After a few days you will adjust to the immediate throttle response. I now find my other car (2014 Toyota Aurion) feels unresponsive off the line by comparison.
kevinj93 is offline   Reply With Quote