Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
linny

Drives: '08 liftback mt
engine block heater

Has anyone put a block heater in their Yaris?

I picked one up from our local dealer and the guy behind the counter told me to take the front drivers wheel and wheel well off to gain access to the sleeve in the block that accepts the heater.

This seems like a lot of work to simply put a peg in a hole. I haven't yet looked or felt around for this hole but the engine compartment is pretty roomy and I am hopeful one could get this stick in the hole with less effort.
linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ya, its on the side of the block just above the transmission....pain to get to, unfortunately

i had mine thrown in w/ the car when i bought it, but i did what youre doing on my matrix....i ended up paying for the half hour of labour and get toyota to do it...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
linny

Drives: '08 liftback mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
ya, its on the side of the block just above the transmission....pain to get to, unfortunately

i had mine thrown in w/ the car when i bought it, but i did what youre doing on my matrix....i ended up paying for the half hour of labour and get toyota to do it...
Sounds like another excuse for taller walls and a hydrolic lift in my garage!
Thank you for your information thebarber. I will give it a try this weekend and see how long it takes me to give up. At least with this one there is no point of no return as there is when you have to pop out a frostplug and get fluid all over the place!
linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Snappy

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchbacks
After I bought my 2007 Manual HB, I drove to a nearby Canadian Dealership and bought a block heater. The service guy I talked to said, "Oh, Yeah, it just slides right in." Eventually I searched the web, and found someone's instructions for installing the heater (not found here, but I think the guy was a motorcycle fan.)
I removed the battery for better access.
With a manual Yaris, you have to remove the cast bracket that holds the shifter cables to the top of the transmission. (14 mm bolts.) Remove the clips and big washers that hold the ends of these cables from the levers on the transmission. There are some wire harness holders near here that are held on by two 12 mm bolts that you have to remove too. If you do not move this stuff to the side, it is impossible to slide the heater into the hole in the block.
To route the cord for the heater, I removed the plastic tray under the front bumper for better access, a few bolts, remove the driver's side part of the tray. I routed the cord thru the lower grill towards the driver side, tight fit but it works. One zip tie holds cord to part of this grill. Routed cord around driver's side of the radiator, zip tied cord to loop of wiring harness connected to the radiator fan, and another zip tie to the wiring harness connected to the drive-by-wire throttle plate (part of the air intake plumbing.) The power cord sits on top of the shifter cables, and curves around towards the actual heater, which gets greased up and slid into a pre-existing hole in the aluminum engine block. A little clip on the heater element snaps into a lip near the hole.
I don't use mine very much, park my Yaris for the winter and let my battered old Festiva rust away in the winter. But I'm glad I have it installed for the future.
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
bimtates
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 yaris and 11 mazda 6
I installed my girlfriends 2007 yaris hb automatic. didnt have to remove anything, didnt have to get under it, it just took a while to maneuver in the tight spot,
i dont know a heck of alot about cars, so may this be inspiration and hope for all who read,
bimtates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
swede

Drives: 07 SDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimtates View Post
I installed my girlfriends 2007 yaris hb automatic. didnt have to remove anything, didnt have to get under it, it just took a while to maneuver in the tight spot,
i dont know a heck of alot about cars, so may this be inspiration and hope for all who read,
ditto on my own auto yaris
Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
Yes, I am inspired! Praise The Block Heater!
seriously though, my block heater died. Needs fixing or replacement thanks for the hope.

I used a bit of cardboard in front of the radiator to warm it up faster, these last few days where -30's and colder with the wind chill. Using the scanguage i was able to see the temperature increase from 72-86 C and that was as warm as the car got for driving about an hour.
My point is that the car still started without the blockheater working in a few days of-30C. I run synthetic in my yaris, and i still find the Clutch takes a while to warm up when its really cold.
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote