Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Chubbster

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan S
Car Radio for 2008 Yaris Sedan Question

I have a 2008 Yaris 4 door Sedan and I'm getting a new radio put into my car. I was told by BestBuy that I need a double din radio to fit in my car, so I purchased one from amazon. Then I call today to make an appointment and I'm told I need a dash kit and possibly a wire harness.

I'm trying to find a dash kit online and came across this website for a dash kit:

http://mobile-emotions.com/ttr-kit99...edan-2008.html

My question is, is this the right dash kit? Also, what other parts to I need and where can I purchase them?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Chubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbster View Post
I have a 2008 Yaris 4 door Sedan and I'm getting a new radio put into my car. I was told by BestBuy that I need a double din radio to fit in my car, so I purchased one from amazon. Then I call today to make an appointment and I'm told I need a dash kit and possibly a wire harness.

I'm trying to find a dash kit online and came across this website for a dash kit:

http://mobile-emotions.com/ttr-kit99...edan-2008.html

My question is, is this the right dash kit? Also, what other parts to I need and where can I purchase them?
Thanks in advance for any help.
$14 seems too low. If you currently have the fully integrated radio then you need the "yaris sedan non-integrated radio trim", which replaces the silver chunk, which includes the radio. It is about $80 from your Toyota dealer. Then, to go with that you will need a harness, such as the Metra 70-1761.

http://retailer.installationexcellen...1-ACDAB2FE7F98.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The part in your link is actually the "fillers" for installing a double DIN radio in a liftback (which has an OEM radio that is slightly wider than a standard double DIN). The link to a picture is dead, but searching for the name of the JPG brings up this American International part:

Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Dysfunctionallx
Caw?

Drives: 08 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Dysfunctionallx
Yea I had the same problem as well, had to buy that trim from the dealer, but they make a kit for both a single and double din so it shouldnt matter, just which ever one you like better.
Dysfunctionallx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
whiteghetto

Drives: '07 blazing blue hatch
FYI, the deck is generally very easy to install.
If you purchase your unit from crutchfield.com (yes a little more spendy)
it comes with the dash kit, harness and instructions (so saves you money)
whiteghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
The one PR

Drives: 08 yaris HB
Send a message via MSN to The one PR
the best buy intall bay have booth parts in metra brand ask for the parts to a installer
Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Chubbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
$14 seems too low. If you currently have the fully integrated radio then you need the "yaris sedan non-integrated radio trim", which replaces the silver chunk, which includes the radio. It is about $80 from your Toyota dealer. Then, to go with that you will need a harness, such as the Metra 70-1761.

http://retailer.installationexcellen...1-ACDAB2FE7F98.
I am getting so frustated with this radio issue. I called two dealers here in Phoenix and they don't have any ideal what I'm talking about when I ask if they have a "Yaris Sedan non-intergrated radio trim" or a dash kit for an aftermarket double din radio. One dealership said that they only sold the head unit that comes with the yaris. Do you know of a dealership that I can call to get this? I'm going on a road trip in a week and would like to have a new radio installed before then.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Chubbster

The stock radio that I have now looks like this:

This is the radio that I have that I want to install:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...QL._SS500_.jpg
Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I am getting so frustated with this radio issue. I called two dealers here in Phoenix and they don't have any ideal what I'm talking about when I ask if they have a "Yaris Sedan non-intergrated radio trim" or a dash kit for an aftermarket double din radio. One dealership said that they only sold the head unit that comes with the yaris. Do you know of a dealership that I can call to get this? I'm going on a road trip in a week and would like to have a new radio installed before then.
OK. I finally found it in the EPC:

It is really called: Panel Sub-Assy, Instrument Cluster Finish, Center
It's part number is: 55405-52790

Here's the picture from the EPC:

Old 02-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Chubbster

What is EPC and where can I find this?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
What is EPC and where can I find this?
The EPC is the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalog.

With the part name, and more significantly part number, that I mentioned above, you should be able to order that part from any Toyota dealer.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Chubbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The EPC is the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalog.

With the part name, and more significantly part number, that I mentioned above, you should be able to order that part from any Toyota dealer.
Thanks so much. I was just about to just return the radio I bought. The dealerships were no help at all. I went to an Audio Express after work and they told me that they would have to make a custom dash which would cost $300 - $400 dollars and that they would need my car for a week.

I found the part you mentioned at a local Toyota dealership for $56, hopefully I can go there and buy it, if not I'll just order it tomorrow. :)
Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks so much. I was just about to just return the radio I bought. The dealerships were no help at all. I went to an Audio Express after work and they told me that they would have to make a custom dash which would cost $300 - $400 dollars and that they would need my car for a week.

I found the part you mentioned at a local Toyota dealership for $56, hopefully I can go there and buy it, if not I'll just order it tomorrow. :)
Good to hear. That's why I bought a copy of the EPC. It always works better to walk into the parts department with a part number.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Pompeii66

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan
Example

Switched from integrated stereo to this recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0205091157a.jpg (290.8 KB, 597 views)
Pompeii66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
Chubbster

Thanks for your help. I just order the Center Bezel today for $60 and will go pick it up at the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully when I get my radio installed this weekend I will have no problems. I'll post pics when it's complete.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
panzerpants

Drives: 2008 Yaris
for the integrated stereo, did you steal the vents and hazard light stuff and put it in the new bezel? or did you have to buy a new one.

:D!!!
panzerpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
or you could get a quality LOC and not worry about bad guys looking at your stereo...AND...having excellent SQ.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerpants View Post
for the integrated stereo, did you steal the vents and hazard light stuff and put it in the new bezel? or did you have to buy a new one.

:D!!!
The vents and hazard light button disconnects off the back of the integrated radio and connects exactly the same way on the non-integrated center bezel.

I ordered my center bezel from parts.com, it was about $64 shipped.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote