Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
rvdsabu

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan Silver
New Keyless Entry Question

I have a 2008 yaris sedan 4-door with factory power windows and door locks. Can i buy a FOB off ebay and program it to have keyless or will i have to buy an entire keyless unit off ebay or somewhere? I have been looking through the forums and there is mention of a $35 aftermarket system. The best I can find for a model # is the Valet 712T....It is a discontinued model, but there are a few on ebay right now for around $40 with shipping. Is there a cheaper/better newer model if i have to end up buying and entire unit and not just the FOBs....
thanks guys!
rvdsabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
there's not really a cheaper model, and "better" is subjective. I use the valet kit and love it. However, you should be able not only to get an extra fob on ebay that can be programmed to your car, but you should be able to get an oem one at that. It will likely cost you as much as the kit, but no installation worries...
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
rvdsabu

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
you should be able not only to get an extra fob on ebay that can be programmed to your car, but you should be able to get an oem one at that.
are you saying the "guts" or the "brain" if you will.....is already installed into my yaris from the factory since i have power windows and door locks? So all they do at the dealership is program a key FOB for your car and put the extra fee on there? If this is so....why install an aftermarket brand in the first place?
rvdsabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I'm sorry, i misunderstood. I thought you already had keyless entry and had just lost the fob. I strongly recommend the valet 712T. WOrks great for me, and there is also a pre-made DIY guide somewhere on here about installing it.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I also have the 712T kit installed on my 08 and it works great. Bought it for $35 on Ebay. It has many different features that can be hooked up if you want them. I just installed the basic lock and unlock wires. Look for DanQ's write up.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
if u have the power the programming needs to be installed. and it's simple. it's in the DIY somewhere around here

just get the fob, pull a wire, open close the door...turn key...open close door, hit lock and unlock switch, replug wire and whatever else is involved...

now, as a toyota tech i had to do this twice, and it almost never worked for me. as many times as i completely followed the steps and clicks, opening and closing the doors, installing battery neg and unplugging pins from the computer harness....i had to get someone else to do it. and they even had to do it 4 times before it 'snapped' and worked.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
if u have the power the programming needs to be installed. and it's simple. it's in the DIY somewhere around here

just get the fob, pull a wire, open close the door...turn key...open close door, hit lock and unlock switch, replug wire and whatever else is involved...

now, as a toyota tech i had to do this twice, and it almost never worked for me. as many times as i completely followed the steps and clicks, opening and closing the doors, installing battery neg and unplugging pins from the computer harness....i had to get someone else to do it. and they even had to do it 4 times before it 'snapped' and worked.

So Toyota installs Keyless on all Yaris's with power? They just don't give the customer the Remote?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
So Toyota installs Keyless on all Yaris's with power? They just don't give the customer the Remote?

I doubt that, but anything is possible. Like many others, I just recently bought the Valet 712T and installed it. There are 2 threads here with info and pictures on installing it and they were a tremendous help... no worries. Works awesome! $40 shipped off of Ebay from Bill's Electronic Gear and had it in hand in just a few days.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I doubt that, but anything is possible. Like many others, I just recently bought the Valet 712T and installed it. There are 2 threads here with info and pictures on installing it and they were a tremendous help... no worries. Works awesome! $40 shipped off of Ebay from Bill's Electronic Gear and had it in hand in just a few days.
Thats the way severous01 made it sound.......
Old 08-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Not to be an ass, but it look like severous01 needs to be a little more technical as a Toyota technician...

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post

...but if he is right then someone out there needs to give it a try (once they have an actual procedure.) Since I've already installed a Valet, there's no need for me to try it.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote