Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
polar_white

Drives: Yaris Hatchback LE
Tired of expensive parts from stealership

Hi, can anyone recommend a good shop/mechanic in the Toronto/Markham/Scarborough areas? I need to replace my air filter and cabin filter but stealership is charging them 25 + 55 for both... well this is if they are even telling me the truth and not showing me some fake dirty filters in the first place..... anyways, my car has just gone over 40,000 KM and is almost 3 years old. I would love to change them myself if I know how to (and where to buy the parts), but I have two Yaris and I would really like to stick to a trustworthy shop that I can go to do all my other maintenance works in the future... A simple oil change at stealership is almost reaching $50 bucks now... arrrggh

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
polar_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Got a napa or something around there? Also, cabin air filter can be home made. Get a big home-use air filter, cut it up, tape off the end, and you're set with enough filters for the life of the car
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
If you go to the DIY section, there's a DIY to make a cheap cabin air filter. I also remember seeing a thread about someone finding a cheap place online to buy the cabin filter. Not sure if they ship to Canada, though. As for air filter, what about Canadian Tire or Lordco if you got one. Sorry, not too sure about the price, but you could look it up on CT's website.
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
search the toronto section on matrixowners.com

there are a lot of guys in the GTA and i know ive seen posts of where to go and not to go in the toronto area
Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4One View Post
If you go to the DIY section, there's a DIY to make a cheap cabin air filter. I also remember seeing a thread about someone finding a cheap place online to buy the cabin filter. Not sure if they ship to Canada, though. As for air filter, what about Canadian Tire or Lordco if you got one. Sorry, not too sure about the price, but you could look it up on CT's website.
Lordco is BC based unfortunately.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
M4One

Okay, this is the site: http://www.logical-source.com. It looks like they do ship to Canada, but you better e-mail them to make sure. The cabin air filter was $5.53.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
polar_white

Quote:
Okay, this is the site: http://www.logical-source.com. It looks like they do ship to Canada, but you better e-mail them to make sure. The cabin air filter was $5.53.
wow seriously, when they show me those filters, I can't believe they are charging $50 bucks for the cabin filter and $25 for air filter, they seem only cost less than few bucks to make.... I understand there is the labour cost, but wtf, ESPECIALLY that they already spent their time to take them out for inspection, why not charge the customer with a reasonable price???

I just dont understand how these dealers have the guts to ask these ridiculous price
Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
polar_white

Quote:
Thank you for this link, I can't believe they only sell this for $5.53....too bad they are out of stock for Engine Air Filter, I wonder how much that is..

now question is, if i bought the parts and bring it with me to my next oil change, I wonder how much they will charge me for replacing them? hahaha...
Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_white View Post
Thank you for this link, I can't believe they only sell this for $5.53....too bad they are out of stock for Engine Air Filter, I wonder how much that is..

now question is, if i bought the parts and bring it with me to my next oil change, I wonder how much they will charge me for replacing them? hahaha...

if you can tie your own shoes
you can replace both of these filters yourself
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
monkey28

Drives: 2007 RS
They didn't charge you labour for air filter, the part itself is $25 already, $35 for carbin filter + labour to replace +$50.

Rememer, when you walk into dealership, everything you see and people that serve you are costing their money (reception, advisor, tech, carwash and electricity...etc).
monkey28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
QUESTION:
Quote:
I just dont understand how these dealers have the guts to ask these ridiculous price
ANSWER:
Quote:

You almost learned a lesson
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
M4One

Polar White, if you haven't already bought the filter from the website, I've got an ebay auction for both the engine filter and cabin filter for just over $23 Canadian shipped. At least, that's what I paid for. The link is: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Quote:
Polar White, if you haven't already bought the filter from the website, I've got an ebay auction for both the engine filter and cabin filter for just over $23 Canadian shipped. At least, that's what I paid for. The link is: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I'm interested in purchasing these from you as well. I see that you live in Vancouver, however the seller location on that specific auction is Laguna Hills, California? Are you the 'AIRCABINMAN' or did you just locate this auction online?

Cheers.
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
M4One

No, I'm not the seller. This thread got me to thinking that it was probably time for me to change my engine/cabin filter and I thought, why not try ebay. I was probably going to buy from the other site I pointed out to, but shipping was actually doubled of what the actual cost of the cabin filter itself. I was probably going to buy from them anyways before turning to ebay. Rereading my post, I guess I wrote it like I was the seller.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
polar_white

Quote:
Hi M4One, thanks for the link, I just bought 2 sets from this seller. Everything include shipping and duty (is there duty charge for buying on ebay and ship to Canada?) is probably just under $50. Can you say wow, the dealer was charging $50 bucks for replacing only the cabin filter... now that's some amazing saving.

So how long did it take for him to ship the item to you? Thanks,
Old 05-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
M4One

I didn't get hit with duty. I've never been hit with duty on my ebay purchases, but they've rarely been too expensive and most of the time the seller puts it down as a gift or something like that to get around it. They arrived in about a week. The air filter is taller than the original, but fits. At first I just popped it in but the cover wouldn't fit. Then, I realized that one of the corners is squared or rounded. Flipped it over and perfect.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
white_rice

I just placed my order with this eBay seller so I will let you know my thoughts afterwards as well.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
white_rice

I just wanted to update this thread and say the my filters arrived safely in the mail yesterday from AIRCABINMAN. Although they are a no name brand (not even labelled) they both fit perfectly in place, and after looking at my stock cabin air filter after ~2 years it was definitely due time to replace! :)

A definite 2 thumbs up to the eBay seller, especially both for $23.50 CAD shipped.