Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
warlock
I've made a post!

Drives: 02 wrx
Yaris Hatch Purchase

The GF is looking for a new car that gets high MPG, and can haul everything that she needs to for her job (Not alot) and the Yaris hatch seems to fit the bill, but I have some questions for the drivers and modifiers of these cars.

The hatch does not get a tach. This sucks. I can install one, but I want it too look factory, not like it just got slapped in there. It looks like there is a blank behind the steering wheel, any chance that a sedan instrument panel would fit behind there? I really dont like the center mounted instruments either. Is there a way to relocate them?

I cant get cruise on this car either. The dealer says that they can install it aftermarket. Has anyone with a hatch had this done? If so, how is it? Any DIYers done it? Im pretty handy around a wrench and a solering iron, how easy is this to pull off?

How stable is the car on the highway? Is it pretty good? We got to take one for a test drive, but that really doesnt tell me much. This car is going to spend alot of time on the highway and want to make sure it isnt terribly squirrley.

Does anyone have stats on the Alloy rims and the steelies? If the alloys are lighter, I would like to go with those, but if not the steelies are ok.

Thanks in advance. Hope you enjoyed this book. Please leave a review at amazon.com :P

warlock
warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I have only had my yaris hatch 5sp fo about 50 miles. It feels stable and the steering is quick. It corners pretty well, but the seats don't hold you. They are comfortable. I did not go over 60mph. It felt just fine at that speed. With little work and money it would be fun track car. It is what it is a well made cheap car. I love it. here's my WRX
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
YarisTuner

Drives: 2007 F.M. 5spd Sedan Yaris
Wow I want that WRX ;(
YarisTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
DVS YARIS

Drives: yaris 1.5 yrx
lol yeah thats on topic hahahah.
get the yaris its a great car and also has great resale value if u want to sell it down the track, but there in high demand so u might have to wait a while good luck :D
DVS YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Not to sure where your located, but if its going to be mostly on the higway, make sure you get the 1.5lt and not the 1.3.

Theres a difference between
a/ just cruising the highway, and
b/ cruising the highway AND being able to overtake at highway speeds.
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
SmallCarGuy
Desperauto's Son...

Drives: '75 Mini, '08 xB2
LoL...

Cruise install looks easy enough, although I haven't tried it... I've seen the instructions and they aren't too hard for the normal guy.

You can't really relocate the instruments though, (you'll get used to them and like them eventually) I love them on the xB...

Handling is good, but you can increase it to great EASY with suspension mods you read around here...

The Tach missing is a pain, but not critical... you can always get adventurous and add an DEFI VSD Concept as a tach/speedo in front of you on the window as a HUD! Flush mount it and you'll be the talk of the town!

Best Tach/Speedo solution there is... just a little work and it's your fix!

On my tC, flush mounted Defi HUD-

http://www.scionization.com/goodhud.mov
Old 09-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
the 08 Yaris H/B comes with a tach if u get the new S model & I think you can get cruise also . Yer dealer is lying to YA go to another dealership, he wants to sell the 07 ... the car is stable on the hiway but if yer worried about that then the 1st mod would be a sway bar TRD $120 takes all but a few minutes to install / 2 bolts yer done ... this REALLY makes the car very stable with out giving a ruff ride & takes out most of the lean when tight cornering , with the electric pwr steering the Yaris is Very nimble . I think the alloys are lighter than the steelies , but Toyota has a 7 thin spoke wheel alloy is lighter than the wide 5 spoke... Wheels are a Whole lot of discussion here , look the posts over
as for room the hatch has a huge amount of room when the back seats are laid down .. make sure u get the pwr package as it comes with the 60/40 split seats rear & that package will keep the resale value high
center dash you just have to deal with it , I didn't like it at 1st but after awhile it grew on me ...it's great not having to peer around the steering wheel .. Now I like it ! as i can keep my eyes on the road & still see the dash in my periferal vision . where with the dash behind the wheel you have to look down to see it ..
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
GET THE YARIS!

I bought it a few weeks ago for the same reason: great gas mileage on highway, for a reasonable cost. I was also concerned about the highway handling of such a small car, but found it doesn't really handle like such a small car after all.

The car handles very well on the interstate I drive at, even when the road is much less than perfect. With the tires over-inflated to 41PSI, I get more responsive steering, but also more of a "drum" sound when going over lane reflectors etc. The ride is comfortable and smooth even in turbulence behind trailers and other windy conditions. Even going 90mph, I feel the car is handling completely safe and stable - better than my old SUV.

I also got the power package, and don't really feel like I need it all the time...don't really use the windows that often, but the power locks with remote key is nice. Maybe not worth $2000 or so though. The back seats fold down, and I have more cargo space than in the old SUV.

Unlike the other poster here, I feel the seat give me excellent side support in corners (I'm wearing seat belt....and I'm 220lbs).

Even when speeding at 85-90mph yesterday, I still got 39MPG. And driving the same commuter-distance the day before at 75mph I got my best-yet 42.6MPG highway yesterday morning.

I've driven over 2000 miles in two weeks.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote