Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Lots of chipped paint on 2008 Blue HB

A guy at Auto Zone sold me some snow chains that he said would fit, and they didn't really fit properly. Not to mention my car is lowered 2 inches, so there is even less room between the tires and wheel well. I put them on, tightened them up, drove around the parking lot, tightened them again, dove the 1/4 mile and tightened them yet again, then started driving down the highway. Got to 40 (instructions said 45 mph, so I figured I was good) when I heard a very bad "whack-whack-whack" noise on the passenger side front. As I slowed and began to pull off the highway, I heard the same sort of noise on the drivers side, only it was a little louder. Then, as I slowed down even more, now fully on the shoulder, both sides sounded like they exploded. I managed to get the chains off and threw them very angrily on my floor board by my feet. There is almost no paint left on the car next to the wheel wells. And I have several good chips on the front of my car from all the gravel they poured on the highway so the semi's wouldn't hit the cars. So, does anyone know what color the paint is, or what store to buy it at? And I would prefer not to buy it at the dealership, as it is almost $45 per bottle. A little on the expensive side. They sell paint for cars at Walmart, and all the auto stores, but I can't find the car in the books to properly match the paint. It's "Blazing Blue", or something like that. Any help would be much appreciated. I already know how to sand, fill, and level the area that needs to be filled and painted, just need the right color.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
OUCH!
contact the chain company or something, that sucks.....

post some pics

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/. Your paint code is 8T0 (Blazing Blue)

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
eric81

SO I washed my car yesterday to get a better view of the chipped paint, (and to disconnect the battery to reset the computer) and not only is there serious damage to the edges of the wheel-well, but the front is really tore up from bugs. BUGS!!! Bugs were enough to chip mass amounts of paint off the front end of my car! Is it just me, or is there a serious paint problem with my car? I seriously am going to take it in and demand they repaint the front end. I would appreciate some feedback from others so I can have some sort of basis to get this done for free. I don't drive behind trucks spitting rocks except when I absolutely have to (like on the drive over the mountain) but there was not that much damage to my car then. I really would like some other examples so I can figure out if my car issue is a fluke, or if it happens with all '08 Yari'.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Sorry for the chain incident. I had that happen in 1975 with my brand new dodge coranet and tore the living heck out of the rear quarter panels. Check with the chain company and if not put a claim into your insurance company.

As far as the bug dings, you are going to have to live with it. I've been able to cut down on mine with a good wax job every two weeks and a lebra cover on the nose.

good luck.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
nerp

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Meteorite Metallic
I just figure not to whack into anything with the car and get the front end / body touched up for about $300 to $500 every three years.
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
I'm kind of disappointed with the paint as well. The Red on my car is certainly RED, but the paint is soooooo thin that there's already a bunch of scrapes behind the door handle and a few chips already. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
eric81

That's just it though... it's not like I am aimig for the biggest swarm of bugs I can find. This is regular driving, and the front end is TRASHED! I can't find my camera right now, but as soon as I find it, I am posting pics. It looks like it is speckled with silver paint, but it's just that chipped. I have NEVER seen that on a car that quickly or that bad. I am going to the dealership directly after my meeting today. I'll post results then.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Due to change in paint ingredients over the last 10-15 years, NO car has an incredible paint job. All cars (yes, that includes Mercedes and Lexus) have the same problem. I try to keep my Yaris in the garage and use a good car soap and wax. That is about all you can do. Or if you want a clean front all the time just drive in reverse :)

I would not recommend a car bra as over time, the bras can rub and disfigure the car. Then you have to leave the bra on 24/7.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote