Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Smoking Ban? Drinking Ban!

Smoking has been banned in most public places.

I think drinking should be banned in public places as well.

I totally understand that my smoking may bother others who don't smoke. Hell, I rode on airplanes back in the days when you could smoke on them, and at the time I didn't. I think that's why those little air nozzles were put into planes to begin with, because the smoke choked me. I have always disliked smoking sections in restaurants. I don't go to a restaurant to smoke, so even though I smoke I always got the non-smoking section.

Now, as far as drinking goes, I think it should be banned in public places too. Places such as sporting events should be first on the list. The problem with drinking in public places a lot of the time has to do with Joe Jerkoff who has one too many Bud Lights and decides to let the asshole side of himself come out. You know, those loud people who you'd just like to punch out. Around the world, drinking at sporting events has caused riots and other violence, and yet it's not banned.

Bars should also be closed, as they are also public places. The legal limit in most states is going down, down, down, so basically you will be legally drunk if you have just a couple of beers with any alcohol in them at all. Unfortunately, there are those who don't know the meaning of the word "moderation" and go to a bar to "unwind" after work. That means to drink more than they should be, in general, and these idiots drive home afterward. Okay, that's REAL safe.

It just seems to me that there's a double standard, and if you're gonna ban one thing, you damn sure oughta ban the other. Just my personal opinion, of course!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I do feel that they should limit the places that drinking is allowed. But I hate paying taxes and they need to up the alcohol tax like they did to cigarettes.

As in limit I’m thinking everything but bars.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
That'd sure take a lot of the fun out of those sporting events if the drunks weren't allowed to drink and piss at them.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I agree Chris.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i think youre wrong. lets give up our rights to have weapons, vote, and drive cars as well...lets see...people get in car accidents...so let's just save everyone's lives by not allowing anyone to drive. all because one kid can't hold his tongue??? no way...put his ass in jail where he belongs. and if he gets there a few more times...death. he deserves it for being a public nuisance.

hmmm...well, deer and bears have rights so lets not allow anyone to have a gun to shoot them...let's make it even more sporty and not allow knives too cuz heaven knows someone's gonna get some balls to go huntin and hell or high waters he's gonna kill something....so, now we have no guns, and no knives. so...how you gonna eat your steaks? oh wait...we're all vegetarians now because noone can kill anything.

wait it gets better...asprin has been known to cause stomach ulcers...lets ban acetamenephin.

power lines cause cancer...so lets ban electricity in all major areas.

mcdonnald's makes people fat and gives heart attacks in a bag...so they're banned too...but you can't ban just one so bye-bye burger king, taco bell, wendys', whataberger, jack in the box, subway, chilis, outback, chedars, ryan's, luby's, joe's crabshacks,

point is...where's it gonna stop? if you're an idiot and wanna drink and drive...get caught, lose your license once and then die the next time...i say any way.

sorry to be so hard, but attitudes so loose as to throw away our rights i worked for ... pisses me off. i'm a vet, and i may not agree with what you say but you cross the bounds when you start talking about taking liberties away because some idiot can't hold his liquor. i can...why should i be punished? i worked for my freedom...have you? i put in 6 years, 2 semi-wars, 8 months in the freakin desert, stayed away from my kids for 6 years cuz x-bitch couldnt handle a 'military lifestyle' and bailed...got screwed over when i left, cant find a jobs becuase noone wants a 'hired gun' in their stores or whatever. so you tell me if it's gonna stop at taking alcohol away from public places...no it's not. some idiot's gonna spout off...similar to what you're doing...and say that they dont like soda's cuz they make people fat and causes diabetes...yeah if you drink a 2 liter an hour...

sorry, got a little heated. i came back to edit but it's been done

Last edited by severous01; 10-20-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: refrain from calling others names
Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Want to edit your post to a nicer way?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
For one, bars are not public places; they are private businesses.

Secondly, there are few health concerns over secondhand drinking!

Lastly, most cities have ordinances against public consumption of alcohol. In 1993, the Texas Legislature enacted Section 109.35 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code which states that a city council can petition TABC to adopt an order to prohibit the possession of an open container or the public consumption of alcoholic beverages in the central business district of the city. "Central business district" is defined as a compact and contiguous geographical area of a municipality in which at least 90 percent of the land is used or zoned for commercial purposes and that is the area that has historically been the primary location in the municipality where business has been transacted...

Quote:
Sec. 109.35. ORDERS FOR PROHIBITION ON CONSUMPTION.
(a) If the governing body of a municipality determines that the possession of an open container or the public consumption of alcoholic beverages in the central business district of the municipality is a risk to the health and safety of the citizens of the municipality, the governing body may petition for the adoption of an order by the commission that prohibits the possession of an open container or the public consumption of alcoholic beverages in that central business district.
(b) If a municipality submits a petition for an order of the commission to prohibit the possession of an open container or the public consumption of alcoholic beverages in the central business district of the city and attaches to the petition a map, plat, or diagram showing the central business district that is to be covered by the prohibition, the commission shall approve and issue the order without further consideration unless the commission finds that the map, plat, or diagram improperly identifies the central business district.
(c) The commission's order may not prohibit the possession of an open container or the consumption of alcoholic beverages in motor vehicles, buildings not owned or controlled by the municipality, residential structures, or licensed premises located in the area of prohibition.
(d) In this section, "central business district" means a compact and contiguous geographical area of a municipality in which at least 90 percent of the land is used or zoned for commercial purposes and that is the area that has historically been the primary location in the municipality where business has been transacted.
(e) In this section, "open container" means a container that is no longer sealed.
San Antonio only recently elected to create a law prohibiting the public consumption of alcohol; but my point is that your claim that it isn't regulated as much as smoking is erroneous.

Oddly enough, I was flying out of Munich, Germany Monday morning and noticed that Camel (the manufacturer of cigarettes) had built "smoking dens" (for want of a better term) there to allow smokers to enjoy that nasty habit, as it is also illegal to smoke in that airport. I took some pics and will post them up later, but I found it to be an amusing compromise.

However, having spent the previous week in southern Germany, and eating most nights in gasthauses (restaurants) were smoking still allowed, I was appalled at how badly my clothes reeked of smoke afterward. I for one am happy that smoking is prohibited in many if not all public places. Smokers tend not to realize how offensive their habit is to others...whereas unless someone spills their drink on you, there is no after-effect from someone else drinking in a public place!

Cheers! M2
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
<snip>

Smokers tend not to realize how offensive their habit is to others...whereas unless someone spills their drink on you, there is no after-effect from someone else drinking in a public place!

Cheers! M2
I'm with you on most of that post, but I still maintain that you can chain-smoke a whole carton, and apart from the stench you are still the same polite, considerate human being you started as, whereas after a few pints/shots, you are probably NOT the same person you started as. You are more likely to be belligerent, puke on your shoes (or mine!) and be dangerous on the road.
I would rather have "smoking clubs" where people can smoke and kill themselves slowly than bars, where people can drink and then kill others quickly.
For the record, I used to smoke and drink, and have not drunk in 34 years, or smoked for the last 5.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Ahem *cough*. No name calling, guys.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
That'd sure take a lot of the fun out of those sporting events if the drunks weren't allowed to drink and piss at them.
hehehe

Yeah, I don't know Chris, personally I think you're on a slippery slope with that kind of reasoning.

Keep it civil, guys
Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
hehehe

Yeah, I don't know Chris, personally I think you're on a slippery slope with that kind of reasoning.

Keep it civil, guys
Yeah, no *mean drunks* around here, please...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
chrisj

Well, there's another fine mess I've gotten myself into. LOL!

I am a vet too, but I don't see what serving my country has to do with smoking or drinking. It's the bad drinkers who give them all a bad name, just as it's the smokers who puff in peoples' faces, making people hate smokers. As I said, I never smoked in places where I felt it would infringe on another person's space. I even crack the window in the car, as I don't care for the second hand smoke myself.

My whole point to this post was that I don't think it's fair to pinpoint a smoker when drinkers can be problems too. There are lots of bad smokers and good ones. There are lots of nice drinkers and bad ones.

I hated it when they banned smoking in bars. Now, even though they may be private spaces and not public, the public laws sure put a stop to smoking in them...private or not. I think a smoke and a drink just go together myself. Also, removing smoking from prison was just stupid. These convicts get in trouble worse for having a cig than a joint.

Oh well, I will crawl back into my hole now. :)
Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I'm a nice drinker!

I say we should ban texting and maybe even talking on the cellphone while driving - nationwide!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

^ now that's a good idea

texting is against the law here in CA and people are supposed to use their bluetooth headphones but they don't.

Actually not long ago, they busted a woman for talking on the phone and .. breastfeeding!!! I'm not making it up.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Off topic

You want to know what's crazy the ppl here in Louisville are making laws for stripclubs now lol the dancers can no longer dance topless that's crazy hehe. No that I care cus I don't go to any of em I got a dancer of my own at home lol. So if they do that it wouldnt be called a stripclub, right ?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The problem with that attitude is where does it stop? We have the mayor of new york city trying to regulate salt and other things in the cities restaurants, we have the wife of the president trying to tell us all how to eat, and we have a clueless congress who does everything but what they are actually allowed to do by law.

So where do you want the government legislation of how you live to end? Or would you rather just be a slave with zero say in anything at all?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
chrisj

I dislike laws telling me I HAVE to wear seat belts. I would wear them anyway probably, but to have a law that makes me just pisses me off. There are WAY too many laws on way too many things. I think laws need to be directed toward more important things, than trying to make us all look like we can't think for ourselves.

BTW, I have no problem with drinking. I have a full bar here at home. My problem is when laws are skewed one way or another. I mean, how much of an example is it setting for our kids when every single sporting event they watch is sponsored by some asshole beer company? Yeah, that sets a real good example.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Most people do drink responsibility. Over 50% of alcohol consumed is drank by 10% of the population. It is the 10% that bloody our highways.