Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
DIY- rattle from lower windshield fix.

Open your hood, grab the plastic cowel in front of your windshield and lift it up and down to check for movement. This may not be the problem everyone is experiencing that has a rattle coming from the lower windshield. It was the culprit in mine however and this fix cured the annoying sound. It turns out the plastic cowel had some movement between it and the metal brace underneath it. It sounded like something was rattling or even knocking on my windshield when I hit cracks or small bumps in the road.

The fix: Simply lift up the cowel, carefully unsnap the five clips, and remove the two Philips head clips. Lift it just enough that you can get your fingers between the plastic cowel and metal brace. I then took some 1/8” thick foam cut into small rectangles with a slit in the center and placed them over each clip so it provided a soft barrier between the cowel and brace. By placing the foam over the clips and THEN snapping the cowel back in place, you place the foam between the two pieces and ensure the pieces will not fall out. Snap everything back into place including the two Philips head clips. This really tightened mine up and eliminated the rattle.

Oh yeah, and a picture of my ho-made hood lift strut. I pretty much just copied the redline hood lift, but it only cost me $15.89 for the strut and included the bracket and ball stud. It’s a 17in. extended length 35lb. strut.

PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Good DIY Peter. At first I thought it was a DIY on installing a rattle. Silly me.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
michaelhay

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
pictures are not visible...
michaelhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Chaldon

Drives: 08 Yaris 3d
...cause photobucket sucks. Use the public tab in your Dropbox folder to url link photos. simple as saving the file there and rightclicking it to 'copy public url' & pasting in the forum as an image link.

My referral link to give me an extra free 500MB: http://db.tt/wYLMDAQ
Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote