Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Lightrfire

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Car needs to be cranked for a long time to start when warm

I'm not sure why but my car takes 5-6 seconds of cranking to start when warm. When cold it starts right away with no hesitation. Has anyone experienced this? I thought maybe I'm losing pressure some where in the fuel system but if I was I should have a even harder time starting when the car had been sitting for awhile but that seems to be when it starts fine.. Anyone else experience this before?
Lightrfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
you might have a leaking injector. It would cause the engine to be way too rich when warm and trying to restart.

Also possible the coolant temp sensor or intake air temp sensor is reading too cold but still within operating parameters.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
sv650steve

Drives: accord (for now)
get a cheap multi meter at harbor freight and test those sensors. Read up on closed loop/ open loop operations in the manual if you have one. There is alot that goes on when starting a car, and it's difficult to know without some diagnostics. Cars switch from open loop to closed loop as soon as there is enough time to heat up the o2 sensors. Also listen for the fuel pump to click on (or use the multi meter to check signal at fuel pump when car is hot). I've also seen circuit boards have failures from cracks in the solder causing problems when cars are hot, but this is usually a pattern failure for particular vehicles. Basically it could be anything with the information you gave, so you have to diagnose some things and come back with more info. You can look at the sensors and just see if they look corroded, and try to clean them up with some alcohol and see if that helps.
sv650steve is offline   Reply With Quote