Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
zkay

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan 4-DR
Beware WIX Filter #51394

Hello All

I have posted a thread over at BITOG, but I will quote it in full here. The rep from WIX is currently helping me try to resolve this problem, but I thought it prudent to post this here as well. WIX has done a stealth redesign on the #51394 filter for the Yaris and it is no longer compatible as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Hello

I bought a 2010 yaris in April of this year and with the help of BITOG I chose an oil and filter combo that I thought I would keep for the life of the car before I ever even did my first oil change. That combo was Mobil1 A.F.E. 0w-30 and a WIX #51394. For the first two oil changes I did on the car, these worked fine.

Yesterday was my third oil change. I went through my routine, let the car cool off from a drive, drained the old stuff, took off the old filter, put the drain plug back in, screwed the new filter on as tight as it would go, then added new oil. Waited a couple minutes, and started the car. When I start it, I notice the oil light is staying on. The car ran for about 4-5 seconds and I shut it off. Climb under the car and almost all the oil I've just poured in is on the ground. Looking closer, I see it is spraying out from the filter mount.

I quickly took a long sheet of cardboard and laid it over the huge oil spill so I could get under the car, feel up the oil filter to where it meets the block, and there's about a 1/4" gap between the engine and the filter!

At first I think, what happened? I tightened it as tight as it would go. When I started threading it, it was tighter than I was used to, but not so much it made me question anything. It did thread on there, and I spun it until I couldn't anymore (with the help of a handful of sandpaper). So what happened?

I take it off and look at it. The threads look okay, as does the gasket. I then look at the base of the inside of the filter. There's some weird piece of metal I didn't think was there before. It's a circle about the size of a nickel with an elliptical hole cut into it, standing about 1/2" off the inside of the base of the filter.

I look in the garage for the older filter from a prior oil change and sure enough, it did not have this feature. I look at the filter I just took off the car, and neither did it. I take the boxes for all three and look at them, they are all identical except for the newest one with the valve, which has the filter number on the box in ever so slightly larger print.

I can take pictures if anyone is interested. But my big question is, what the [censored] happened? Did I just get a bum filter that, for whatever reason, didn't want to go all the way onto the block? Is this new valve feature preventing the filter from threading on all the way? Also, why was there no mention of a change in the design anywhere on the box? Even searching their site and google, I find no mention of this anywhere.

I ended up putting new oil in and the old filter back on temporarily. I bought a bosch 3311 in the meantime, was going to put that on today and leave it on until I can figure this out. Will also likely return the faulty WIX today, pending your input.

Thanks for reading all this, I appreciate any help.

-zkay
Link to thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...22#Post2799122

Link to image album with pictures of both the "old" #51394 and the "new" one: http://imgur.com/a/Utkqb

Image description:

Quote:
The first image has both boxes next to each other. The newer, problem filter is on the right. Note the filter number and white text box surrounding it are slightly larger. This is the only difference between the two as far as packaging.

I accidentally switched sides for the subsequent images, in the second image the old good filter is on the right, the new one on the left. Note the stickers and stamps are the same on each.

The third image was taken trying to look down into each filter so you could see the difference between the two, though it was somewhat too dark to tell. You can however see that the stamping is the same on the top of the filters as well.

The fourth image has a clear view of the inside of each filter, as well as a clear view of the top of each filter. You can clearly see the piece of metal I am talking about in the problem filter on the left, and the lack of it in the good filter on the right.
Anyway, just thought you all would like to know. I will keep you guys posted as well.

Thanks,
-zkay
zkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Would you consider Wix 57145 to be compatible?

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51394
vs
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=57145
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
why mess around with this brand it obviously sucks? Purolator Pure 1

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
According to AMSOIL which also sells Wix filters the model that you are discussing isn't even on the compatibility list

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
According to AMSOIL which also sells Wix filters the model that you are discussing isn't even on the compatibility list

Under applications, you will find:

Quote:
TOYOTA YARIS L4 1.5L 1497cc
And to the other poster, this brand is highly regarded, which is why all of this is so strange. It isn't a bad brand.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkay View Post

Under applications, you will find:

And to the other poster, this brand is highly regarded, which is why all of this is so strange. It isn't a bad brand.

It isn't that it is a bad brand per se....just lettin you know that a very well respected brand that is a partner with them doesn't list that part number so apparently there is a miscommunications somewhere?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
It isn't that it is a bad brand per se....just lettin you know that a very well respected brand that is a partner with them doesn't list that part number so apparently there is a miscommunications somewhere?
Solid copy. Not trying to start anything, just saying is all. If anyone is reading the BITOG thread, I have now switched brands and will not be using a WIX product again. I managed to get a 5qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 (which I will be exchanging elsewhere for 0w-20) and a K&N HP-1003 filter for free for my troubles.

Ended as well as it could have.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The Toyota filter does a good job of filtration . Now using an AC Delco . Both can be bought for $4 or less . Was thinking of using a Hastings oil filter . Think that's the same as Baldwin . Thanks for the warning . Here are some U.O.A.s for the '08 sedan with the Toyota ( Denso ) 90915-YZZF2 oil filter , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38135 . Another U.O.A. from the 2010 3 door with the YZZF2 , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34042 . These are also posted at B.I.T.O.G..
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
The Toyota filter does a good job of filtration . Now using an AC Delco . Both can be bought for $4 or less . Was thinking of using a Hastings oil filter . Think that's the same as Baldwin . Thanks for the warning . Here are some U.O.A.s for the '08 sedan with the Toyota ( Denso ) 90915-YZZF2 oil filter , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38135 . Another U.O.A. from the 2010 3 door with the YZZF2 , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34042 . These are also posted at B.I.T.O.G..
I have heard bad things about the Toyota filters after they switched manufacture over to Thailand instead of Japan. I know the Japanese ones can still be had but for a more expensive price. Interesting UOA's though. As an aside, read your headgasket thread and checked my 2010 sedan - no leak whatsoever, manufactured 06/10.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Has anyone bought one of these lately? Does the issue still exist?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
All those TOYOTA oil filters used were made in Thailand . The oil filter from the factory is made in Japan . Have had issues with a few TOYOTA oil filters seeping oil from the gasket (O-ring ) . That's why the switch to AC Delco . May get an U.O.A. in spring to see how the AC DELCO compares to the YZZF2 .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have used the cheapest, crappiest oil filter on every car I have ever owned in 35 years and never had a problem of any kind.

Except for my 1974 VW Beetle which didnt HAVE an oil filter. It has the distinction of having the most miles on it, ~250,000 miles.

1980 Subaru 99,000 miles - sold to buy

1988 VW Station Wagen for kids. 110,ooo miles - sold when the car wouldnt start - fuel pump reply was bad. I didnt know it.

1992 Honda Accord Station Wagen (used) 153,000 miles when it was stolen. It was revoered by the police when they busted a drug gang. (trashed in the getaway attempt) In the ash tray was a business card House Of Pain Body Piercing.

!997 Saturn Sedan (used) 150,000 miles when the auto transmission went.

2005 Camry Sedan. current. 94,000 miles
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I have used the cheapest, crappiest oil filter on every car I have ever owned in 35 years and never had a problem of any kind
Same here, but when the price difference between the crappiest and what is regarded as a very good one ill splurge and get the better one.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
bronsin

Whats a filter from Toyota running? $10? tHE AIR FILTER (WHICH IS GREAT!)was like $30.

Pure Ones go for what, $8?

wALMART FILTERS BEFORE THEY WERE DISCONTINUED WERE LESS THAN $3.

sorry for caps
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
I have used the cheapest, crappiest oil filter on every car I have ever owned in 35 years and never had a problem of any kind.

Except for my 1974 VW Beetle which didnt HAVE an oil filter. It has the distinction of having the most miles on it, ~250,000 miles.

1980 Subaru 99,000 miles - sold to buy

1988 VW Station Wagen for kids. 110,ooo miles - sold when the car wouldnt start - fuel pump reply was bad. I didnt know it.

1992 Honda Accord Station Wagen (used) 153,000 miles when it was stolen. It was revoered by the police when they busted a drug gang. (trashed in the getaway attempt) In the ash tray was a business card House Of Pain Body Piercing.

!997 Saturn Sedan (used) 150,000 miles when the auto transmission went.

2005 Camry Sedan. current. 94,000 miles
None of your cars have had a LOT of mileage, except for the Beetle.
You also make no mention of how often you change the oil.

I'm over 120k miles in the Echo, and with all of the track days and my driving style in general, I'll definitely put the best quality filter. Keeping the oil clean is huge. When I change my synthetic oil every 2 track days or 5k miles, it's usually black or close to it... would a cheap Fram filter with 1/2-3/4 of the amount of media of a Wix/Mobil1/K&N do as good a job filter? Maybe.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
None of your cars have had a LOT of mileage, except for the Beetle.
You also make no mention of how often you change the oil.

I'm over 120k miles in the Echo, and with all of the track days and my driving style in general, I'll definitely put the best quality filter. Keeping the oil clean is huge. When I change my synthetic oil every 2 track days or 5k miles, it's usually black or close to it... would a cheap Fram filter with 1/2-3/4 of the amount of media of a Wix/Mobil1/K&N do as good a job filter? Maybe.
The VW says it all. NO OIL FILTER! 250,000 miles. I rebuilt the engine myself at 125k. The valves needed doing and I put new pistons and cylinders. But the main rod and cam bearings miked out to nearly new. At 250k I took all the guts out and put them in a 1971 VW Bus. Mains rod and cam again were good enough that I reused these parts with no machine shop work.

I changed the oil every 2000 miles religiously but remember...these engines only had 2.5 quarts of oil in them!

Good luch with that ECHO...the finest small car ever made IMO. My sons 2000 ECHO has 180k on it. I bought it for him with 117k on it five or six years ago.

When he comes to visit theres no oil on the diptick and the tires have 15 psi in them!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
jayeh

Quote:
Whats a filter from Toyota running? $10? tHE AIR FILTER (WHICH IS GREAT!)was like $30.

Pure Ones go for what, $8?

wALMART FILTERS BEFORE THEY WERE DISCONTINUED WERE LESS THAN $3.

sorry for caps

Here the cheapest filters are about $6, a wix one is about $9.

I just bought half a dozen off Rockauto.com for $3.60 each. I'm set for a while.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
I use Mobil One 0-30W with Wix/Napa oil filter. Both are great IMO. 65,000 miles on my 2007 Yaris. I change oil and filter every 6500 miles. No problems.

Thanks zkay for your excellent post. Very helpful!