Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What would you pay for a steering wheel extension? Note the three option types.
up to $400 for a fixed extension of 1" 0 0%
up to $800 for a fixed extension of 1" 0 0%
over $1200 for a fixed extension of 1" 0 0%
up to $400 for a fixed extension of 2" 2 5.26%
up to $800 for a fixed extension of 2" 0 0%
over $1200 for a fixed extension of 2" 0 0%
up to $500 for a telescopic extension up to 2" 5 13.16%
up to $1000 for a telescopic extension up to 2" 1 2.63%
over $1500 for a telescopic extension up to 2" 1 2.63%
I am happy with my steering wheel the way it is 29 76.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
wornways

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Stickshift
How much would you pay for a warranty supported steering wheel extension? (3d try)

If Toyota provided warranty supported aftermarket Yaris steering wheel options that extended the fixed or telescopic reach of the steering wheel by 1 to 2 inches, how much would you be willing to pay, and for which options?

The poll choices are in four sections. The first three deal with prices ranges for a fixed steering wheel extension of 1 inch. The second three deal with price ranges for a fixed extension of 2 inches. The third set of three deal with a telescopic extension of up to 2 inches. The last option is for those who are happy with their steering wheel the way it is.

The reason I'm posting this poll is because I'm exceptionally unhappy with the steering wheel and I want to get an idea just how alone I am in my misery. I can't reach it when I'm sitting comfortably, and I can't drive safely when I've got my knees mashed up under my chin in order to reach it.

I've opted for safe discomfort relative to unsafe extreme discomfort. However, as the months wear on, the middle part of my back has fallen into extreme chronic pain brought on by my having to hunch toward the steering wheel with my arms held plumb straight forward to grip it properly. The solution is simple, extend the steering wheel so it's reachable from a relaxed sitting position for people taller than, say, an Oompa Loompa. But, Toyota doesn't provide this option. And not one of the 50 or so automotive shops I've consulted with will touch the steering wheel because of various liability issues.

Hence the poll. If I'm not the only one, and others would pay for a Toyota installed and supported steering wheel extension, then maybe Toyota Corporate would consider providing this option for those of us not of Oompa Loompan ancestry.
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
But you already bought your car. They wouldn't really add a feature to a car that they've already sold. Right?
/edit
Oohhhhhhhhh, thats why you added prices. I get it.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
wornways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
But you already bought your car. They wouldn't really add a feature to a car that they've already sold. Right?
/edit
Oohhhhhhhhh, thats why you added prices. I get it.
Yeah, I knew the steering wheel was a little uncomfortable when I test drove it, but I was confident that I'd adjust to it. But after 8k miles, I'm realizing that what's adjusting are the vertebrae in my middle back, just below my shoulder blades. I don't know what they're doing, but it hurts like all hell. This problem did not exist before the Yaris. If I don't drive the Yaris for a few days, it begins to feel better. Just after driving the Yaris even a short distance, I can't sleep for all the throbs and stabs of pain shooting all over my body and into my brain from my middle back. So there's a distinct connection, and it's one I can't do anything about until Toyota provides an aftermarket steering wheel extension.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornways View Post
Yeah, I knew the steering wheel was a little uncomfortable when I test drove it, but I was confident that I'd adjust to it. But after 8k miles, I'm realizing that what's adjusting are the vertebrae in my middle back, just below my shoulder blades. I don't know what they're doing, but it hurts like all hell. This problem did not exist before the Yaris. If I don't drive the Yaris for a few days, it begins to feel better. Just after driving the Yaris even a short distance, I can't sleep for all the throbs and stabs of pain shooting all over my body and into my brain from my middle back. So there's a distinct connection, and it's one I can't do anything about until Toyota provides an aftermarket steering wheel extension.
Yea. I was running this setup for a bit.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
wornways

I don't feel confident in making such modifications myself, and no automotive centers will make them. Your setup looks workable, though. Not pretty, but functional. I can see just by the angle that you're getting about two or three inches more reach than the stock steering wheel provides. I'm jealous.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Don't mean to poop on your parade, but this car is Toyota's entry level and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't add the feature no matter how many people wanted it. Never mind the fact you'd probably need hundreds of thousands of people to respond to your poll. That ain't gonna happen at YW.

Of course if you are planning to run the poll across the entire internet you might get a decent response, but something tells me you should just start looking for a more comfortable car to drive.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
I don't feel confident in making such modifications myself, and no automotive centers will make them. Your setup looks workable, though. Not pretty, but functional. I can see just by the angle that you're getting about two or three inches more reach than the stock steering wheel provides. I'm jealous.
Yea, its changed now. Its totally different now. But it was AWESOME, cause I could sit normally, with my arms bent.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
wornways

I would love to, Mr. Altitude. You buying?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #9
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
...those of us not of Oompa Loompan ancestry.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Thankfully
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
wornways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Thankfully
Just for the record, I like Oompa Loompans. They're great people, they dance well, they like to sing, and they always have a strong point.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I'm short (I'm Asian, can't do anything about it). LOL. I'm actually quite comfortable with the steering wheel. My butt started hurting on an 8-9 hour drive, but I never had any discomfort with the steering wheel on that trip.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #12
etheliters

Drives: 07 yaris hatch
I'm 6' 3" and not too discomforted. without warranty in mind, is anyone prototyping or designing such an extension? A factory look is ideal...
etheliters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Just buy a Yaris noise cut (wreck ) from japan and take out the
Extendable steering colum .
Way eaiser than designing and making one
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #14
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
i dont think 1-2 inches is enough. im just over 6', and moving the seat back so my legs werent ridiculously bent and knees splayed the steering wheel was just too far away. it was always a choice between holding the wheel with an absolutely straight arm (this gets old fast) or having my legs squeezed and my knees shoved into the door and center center stack (this gets old fast). an up to 3 inch telescoping wheel is needed in the next gen yaris.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
At 6'4", I've learned to live with this problem. It is not unique to the Yaris, this is an issue I've had with many cars because I always have the seat all the way back.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
yah i been itching to swapped to my momo but damn this airbag which is the only thing thatll save mylife incase of an accident..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
I would love to, Mr. Altitude. You buying?
No I'm not. But that $1500 you want to spend on a feature that will never materialize would make a nice down payment.

Just trying to save you the trouble of getting your hopes up that a silly poll on an obscure website has any possibility of influencing Toyota.

You want to extend your steering wheel? Do what ddongbap did and go after-market.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
llimonce

Drives: yaris sedan
i need 2"
llimonce is offline   Reply With Quote