Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
98k mile A/T fluid change and it's wierd?!?

Decided to buy some WS and do a drain and fill. Anyways, on to my wierd comment. The fluid that I drained out was a distinct purple and didn't smell burnt or otherwise bad. The new fluid is cherry soda red and smells about the same. Anyone have the purple transmission fluid on a drain and fill? Transmission isn't or wasn't acting funny, Just figured since I'm beating the crap out of it with the Blitz, I'd try to increase it's longevity as much as possible.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
clarenceie

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I believe it's been oxidized. I'm guessing this is the first time you changed it? It's probably mixed in with metal wearing particles. I assume the Blitz is the S/C? The added power will probably wear those parts faster.

I would probably add in an external transmission cooler to prolong fluid oxidation and life and change the intervals sooner. I would also change the transmission filter.
I did the same steps like shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ly6cbbKa9A when I bought a used yaris. However, I used Valvoline MaxLife ATF instead of the WS. It's been over 50k miles with no problems.
clarenceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
07stlYaris

Glad you mentioned the cooler. I actually did add one at the time. Broke nearly all of the cute little push rivets taking the front facia off. Added it inline after the one in the radiator so as to not re-heat the fluid that is already cooled. Took a messy but quick cranking to discover which pipe was the outlet but I got it. I plan on putting an external spin-on filter for the transmission fluid as soon as I figure out which one I want to use. Don't know if it'll help as the fluid going to the cooler is already sucked out of the pan through the stock filter but what the heck. I plan on driving this car until the wheels fall off.

I've heard nothing but nightmares when using other fluids and since the transmission is worth more than the KBB value of the car I figured I'd go with the stock stuff.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The Yaris has a tranny cooler built into the radiator. From what I have seen monitoring tranny fluid temps, it does a good job of keeping the fluid at a proper operating temperature.

The fluid does change from the cherry red to the purplish color pretty quickly (<5K miles), even with a brand new Yaris, so that color is very normal.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Decided to buy some WS and do a drain and fill. Anyways, on to my wierd comment. The fluid that I drained out was a distinct purple and didn't smell burnt or otherwise bad. The new fluid is cherry soda red and smells about the same. Anyone have the purple transmission fluid on a drain and fill? Transmission isn't or wasn't acting funny, Just figured since I'm beating the crap out of it with the Blitz, I'd try to increase it's longevity as much as possible.
The original WS fluid from circa 2007 would turn purple with age or when exposed to sunlight. The current batches of WS don't do that anymore. Toyota reformulated it at some point but I don't know how and why.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
07stlYaris

Scott, is operating temp crucial as opposed to trying to keep the transmission fluid even cooler?
Old 10-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Scott, is operating temp crucial as opposed to trying to keep the transmission fluid even cooler?
That's a good question. The fact that the ECM will not let the tranny shift into overdrive until the fluid reaches a certain threshold kind of says yes.