Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Still trying to get a power wire through firewall..

Iv searched and searched on the forums here, best "nipple" i see that is easy to get to is the one above ecu on passenger side but i want to have my power wire as short as possible to amp, so either going pass the drivers side which i still cant find a nipple to get through or under the car. Any helps?
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
Iv searched and searched on the forums here, best "nipple" i see that is easy to get to is the one above ecu on passenger side but i want to have my power wire as short as possible to amp, so either going pass the drivers side which i still cant find a nipple to get through or under the car. Any helps?

There's a huge bushing on the drivers side where a large harness goes through:

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
If you follow the main harness in the engine compartment, it goes through a huge rubber grommet on the driver's side that has extra nipples...I taped my 8 gauge wire to a hangar and poked it through there...

Cheers
yeah thats the thing i just couldnt find, or anything. Compared to my 98 taco, this is crazy...
Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
iwent through my fender and in threw where there was a hole next to the fuse box. i think i have a picture somewhere i'll post it up.. havent had any issues and it isnt near any moving parts that could cut/kink it
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

if i remember right i put it threw and into that big grommet from the door electronics. and just ran it thought there.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
to get at the nipple on the drivers side, you have to take apart the wipers and the tray there...thats what i had to do to install the power wires for my fogs....kind of a pita, but worth the effort...
Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
if i remember right i put it threw and into that big grommet from the door electronics. and just ran it thought there.

that helped extremely!!! i gave up trying to go through the firewall, even tho i was 90% done with removing wiper and tray.

go through the door grommet outputted it right next to the door sill cover excellent. thanks a bunch.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
I think talnlnky and others have alluded to this in other posts, but running power through the fender (grommet or not) is a really bad idea. Any location that exposes the wire to unnecessary chafing or weather is asking for trouble - electrical shorts / fire/ general electronics mayhem. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to save you some grief

There are firewall grommets on both the passenger and driver's side that fit the bill. I ran 4 gauge through the driver's side grommet that CTScott has in the pic

Last edited by pariahdecss; 06-01-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: chocolate bunny rabbits
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i agree with pariah.....bad idea. plus you look like you have no idea what you're doing when people see that kind of wiring...sure it works and it will for a while....but it just looks really bad. i make fun of honda guys for doin that kinda stuff...
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
ezhacker1

really now... ill have to re-look. I didnt think it would be a problem.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 AM   #11
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
If you follow the main harness in the engine compartment, it goes through a huge rubber grommet on the driver's side that has extra nipples...I taped my 8 gauge wire to a hangar and poked it through there...

Cheers

When I installed my electrochromatic rear-view mirror, it took me hours to get the harness for the temperature probe through that grommet. I taped the wire for the harness to a wire hanger and after a couple of hours of trying and multiple holes punctured through the grommet, I finally got it through.

I also managed to crack a piece of that plastic in the engine bay that covers the wires coming into that grommet.

I hope others have better luck than me getting through that thing!
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
I pulled the battery out to make access to the driver side grommet a little easier, it was tight but did not take all that long. I also upgraded the battery ground to chassis cable so it made sense to pull the battery anyway.
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I paid a stereo installer $40 to drill a hole through the firewall under the dash and put a 1/2" grommetted hole there. I am able to run two 4gauge power wires, and three sets of wires for gauges.

It was a very easy $40 to part with considering how fast he got it done and how I had no clue how to do it safely.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
...drill a hole through the firewall under the dash and put a 1/2" grommetted hole there.

That's what I'll be doing when I have to start running all my power wires. I don't get why everyone is torturing themselves trying to find ways to run wires. Pick a spot where you want the wire to go and punch a hole in it (as long as you know what's on the other side!)
Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...rchField=40106

here....
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #16
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

i was cleaning the yaris yesterday and felt ambitious enough to rerun the power cable through that huge mother grommet. took FOREVER to get it though the nipple that is there.. but eventually i got it through :)
Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

i dont think there would have been a problem at all.. Just felt like messing around with it :)
Old 06-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
I paid a stereo installer $40 to drill a hole through the firewall under the dash and put a 1/2" grommetted hole there. I am able to run two 4gauge power wires, and three sets of wires for gauges.

It was a very easy $40 to part with considering how fast he got it done and how I had no clue how to do it safely.
Damn man for like 50 bucks you could have gotten a sub and amp installed as well. 40 bucks sounds steep for just a hole but if you're happy then by all means.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote