Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Ouch

I just made my wallet even thinner. I ordered a HP dv4-1117nr from Best Buy just now. I had no choice. My Toshiba Satellite needs to retire soon. It's bulky and heavy for transporting. It overheats like crazy, causing it to shut down, and me to lose any unsaved data in session. The screen sometimes will not turn on/suddenly turn off. My charger is giving me problems. It is INCREDIBLY loud, and no the speakers aren't, but the fan are. Just the other day, I took it to one of my nursing classes, started typing on word, and BAM. The fan speed went up to compensate for the overheating, and the two classmates sitting in front of me started to look around to see where "that loud noise" was coming from. How embarrassing.

But yeah, what else could I have done? The Toshiba is about to be four years old. I have went through two cooling stands, and yet, it still gets hot. For comparison, it is MUCH louder than a powerful/gamers desktop.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

build ur own comp for half the price
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
What did you get hit for about 600? It's a good laptop. Figure it will last 3 years or so and that makes it cheap per year ....... cost effective

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by id3379 View Post
build ur own comp for half the price
I'm not tech savy. LOL. I know more than the average person, but I probably have a better chance of building a car than I do building a computer. ROFL. Probably not. But yeah, I know they have cases/shells for desktops, but I don't know if they do with laptops. I know nothing about motherboards, I know a fair share for processors/video cards/sound cards, etc.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
What did you get hit for about 600? It's a good laptop. Figure it will last 3 years or so and that makes it cheap per year ....... cost effective
Yup, ~$670 for it. It comes with a printer (I'll sell my other two and keep that one) and an antivirus software.

My standards for a laptop a screen size of 14.1" (currently have a 15.4"), 4GB of RAM (currently have 1GB), harddrive doesn't matter (currently have 120GB), duo core with at least 2.0GHz per core (currently have a single core of 3.33GHz), Bus speed of at least 800MHz (can't remember what my current laptop's speed is), and QUIET. Everything else, such as a dedicated graphics card, better speakers, etc, is a bonus.

I was also debating over Intel or AMD for a processor, and figured that I really don't play games, and have lots of programs on at once, so I went with Intel.

Once I get the HP, I'm going to either disable the Vista bubbles (useless imo) or see if I can find a driver for it to see if I can "downgrade" to XP. I want as much usable RAM as possible. I also like how the HP I ordered can be expanded to 8 gigs.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Oh yeah, the HP is about 5lbs whereas my Toshiba is about 8lbs. And my CD/DVD drive stopped working.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I am a fan of the intel processor...... amd is good and the celron is more of a business application processor.

Intel has never let me down.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote