Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
BatMobile

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Question Lowering Springs vs Coil overs

okay, i'm a girl other then cost whats the difference?
Is there a risk with lowering springs? will it void my warrenty?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the magnuson-moss act of (what year guys, i forget) protects you against warranty voids for items that are unrelated to you lowering your car.

for instance, if your paint starts peeling, your dealer CANNOT void your warranty simply because you lowered your car. however, if you lower your car on stock shocks/struts, and one of them blows, yeah, you've voided that portion of your warranty.

as far as the springs vs coilover debate, well in most cases people buy coilovers because they want to go lower than springs allow. if you're just looking for a nice drop, start with some nice lowering springs and start saving for good struts/shocks (tokico comes to mind). the stock struts/shocks should last you a year or more, and once they go you can install uprated dampers. that's my recommendation as far as "looks" go.

if you're going to autocross or otherwise track the car, i suggest upgrading your tires and installing a rear swaybar first. dont' worry about getting the car lowered right away.

Last edited by echo_hrs; 07-18-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
BatMobile

Drives: 2008 Yaris
okay so if i get some lowering springs, they only last over a year? how will i know when they are bad, will they break? and if they do will they cause damage?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Lowering springs should last a LONG time (like several years). Shocks and struts may wear a little faster with aftermarket springs, but not as short as a year.

They don't break, they sag and get bouncy. Doesn't hurt the car, but you'll know when it's happening. I think we have quite a few members on here who have now had aftermarket springs for a couple of years at least.

Buy a name brand, known for good quality.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
lowering springs will not break normally but it is your shocks/struts that will wear off with time...i've had a tein lowering springs + oem shocks/struts...used it for a year with no problem...i just recently got a coilovers and sold my lowering springs here in the forum...

offtopic: a mod deleted tamago's knowledgeable post!

kimona, don't delete tamago's posts/thread that will/could help members, it's childish!!!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Batmobile -

If you are worried about sag and becoming bouncy, i recommend saving up some money and going w/ H&R lowering springs for the Yaris. Its a nice mild drop and the car will stay stiff as hell for more than 1 year (guaranteed, I own them)....w/ stock shocks~

Other good choices for lowering springs are: TEIN and TANABE, all which can be bought through cali yaris :)
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
I like the TEIN lowering springs I just put them on my car almost 2 weeks ago and I have been loving it. Well if your going to have like 17"+ rims then go for something with a mild drop, I have 15" rims
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
CDavis7M

Drives: 1990 Supra Turbo
Lowering springs will drop you, and give you a little bit better performance.

Coilovers can potentially drop even more, and they are performance oriented. So, ride comfort takes a big hit. But, some people prefer a stiff ride, I do.
CDavis7M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
So would you want lowering springs or coilovers?? I have TRD in my sedan but i been recently thinking of changing up for coilovers and installing the springs in the LB. or should i just get springs for the LB as well?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Trish

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Send a message via MSN to Trish
I had lowering springs for the past 2 and half years, never had a single problem with it. My dealership never tried to void my warrenty for any reason....

They have to proove that the break is related to your modification.

As for the difference between coils/spings vs coilovers, the coilovers are more "complete". If you are just looking for a nice look, than I think you shouldn't spend that much money for coilovers, but if you are looking for a better handling/performance, than you should put your money on nice coilovers. I bought 2 sets of springs before I finally decided to buy coilovers, I regret it. The coilovers are way much better (for handling) than springs.

With coilovers, forget the comfort lol!!! It's stiff and hard, but...I love it!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
What are the most comfortable coilovers?

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
good question. Not sure anyone has compared "soft" settings on the coilover brands. Silk Roads are pretty stiff, not that comfy on the street.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 AM   #13
etheliters

Drives: 07 yaris hatch
id like to konw that too.
etheliters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
It all depends on what your ultimate goal is and how handy you are with your car. Springs is great for a easy, cheap drop for great appeal and a decent handling boost. Coilovers on the other hand can do everything. You can customize the drop by the mm to your personal liking and ride stiffness as well(if its fully adjustable). Coilovers really shine if you need a higher ride during winter time.
I have tanabe springs and it rides like stock but with a much more stable center of gravity from the lower ride height. I wish I had coils cuz winter is soon approaching haha.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
If you do decide to get coil-overs, make sure you get the most out of them by getting it properly corner-weighted and aligned (in that order). It might take a couple of tries until you get the right ride height and alignment setting but once you find a setting ideal for you, driving your Yaris (or any car so equipped with properly corner-weighted and aligned coil-overs) will never be the same again :)

I see too many people get coil-overs but skimp on the corner-weighting and alignment. Without these two, you are not getting the most out of your +/- thousand dollar suspension mod :)
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
So... coilovers for stiff ride and springs for soft i guess its a no brainer because the roads here are crap.Now I have heard of ppl heating the springs but thats got to be bad for the car and the springs not to mention they my break down the road
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Never heat up spring. you never know when they might break and it is a lot harder to get them even that way. Garm has the AOE tiger techs for $129 and the DF210's and NF210's for $199. It's not hard to put them in. So why not go the safe route and buy springs if your just looking for a drop and not extream track proformance suspension
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
KW coilovers are the best street coilovers I have ever used. Super comfortable....
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote