Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Sway bar link replacement

I had a rattle/popping noise in the front of my Yaris. So today the dealer said I need a new sway bar link. I asked why, they said the joint is loose. I asked them if they tightened the sway bar link, they said the the nut is NOT loose, so it's the joint that's bad. It's $170 for 1 sway bar link for an 07 Yaris Sedan. I checked myself and the nut/bolt turns together freely.

Is replacement the best course of action?
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonz View Post
I had a rattle/popping noise in the front of my Yaris. So today the dealer said I need a new sway bar link. I asked why, they said the joint is loose. I asked them if they tightened the sway bar link, they said the the nut is NOT loose, so it's the joint that's bad. It's $170 for 1 sway bar link for an 07 Yaris Sedan. I checked myself and the nut/bolt turns together freely.
sounds loose if you can turn the nut/bolt to me, have you tried tightening it? also, I just change one my HHR, cost of end link $35.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Is the rubber bushing worn out? How many miles on the car?

I probably have a stock one around.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
www.hrpworld.com you can make your own for less than that.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If I'm thinking of the correct part, there's a place on ebay that sells aftermarket ones for $22 each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deeza...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Thanks guys!

Toyota dealerships are definitely overcharging.

ToyotaPartsCheap.com (Mossy Toyota in California) lists the part as $95US MSRP / $75 sell price link: http://goo.gl/1C5ZC

The dealership near me in Ontario is charging me $170 Canadian + 13% tax. The dollar is at par. 70% premium for the same part?

What's more likely to fail first? Toyota parts or aftermarket?
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
toyota. aftermarket is gonna be urethane or better.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonz View Post
Thanks guys!

Toyota dealerships are definitely overcharging.

ToyotaPartsCheap.com (Mossy Toyota in California) lists the part as $95US MSRP / $75 sell price link: http://goo.gl/1C5ZC

The dealership near me in Ontario is charging me $170 Canadian + 13% tax. The dollar is at par. 70% premium for the same part?

What's more likely to fail first? Toyota parts or aftermarket?
I was thinking that OEM parts are generally better, but Tamango is probably correct on the boot material. They are very easy to replace. When they are spinning though you have to use a pair of vicegrips to keep the bolt from rotating so you can get the nut off.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Call a local auto parts store.
When I did the end links on our 2003 Escape I got the identical parts from Canadian Tire as the factory parts being removed for about 1/4 the price of what the local Ford stealership quoted.
Those used an allen head wrench to hold the bolt portion from spinning while wrenching the nut off or on. It took less than a half hour to change both sides in my driveway.
$24.00 plus my 1/2 hour vs over $200.00 to let the dealer replace them (parts and labour). Ahhh, it's great to be handy.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote