Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I have a flat on 3 of my tires, which i have plugged all, but one i cannot seem to be able to fix.. it's always leaking from the plug.

And that garage i went to in Vermont said they'd remove the tire and patch it from the inside. which obviously doesn't seem to be the case. Drove most of the summer last year with a slow leak. Now i've finally got to check it out and it's the plug again. WTH.
FAF will fix that in my experience...
Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
IllusionX, I've seen plugs and patches fail resulting in slow leaks. My experience has been that the majority of those failures are due to the puncture being located closer to the sidewall.

There is a lot of deflection and movement out there that can eventually ruin a good seal.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
IllusionX, I've seen plugs and patches fail resulting in slow leaks. My experience has been that the majority of those failures are due to the puncture being located closer to the sidewall.

There is a lot of deflection and movement out there that can eventually ruin a good seal.
Exactly. If the hole is not on the tread area you should not even try to plug it. Also, properly cleaning the hole with the burred tool before plugging is key. If there is any residue left behind on the puncture the gooey stuff on the plug will not bond.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
my puncture is in the water repelling groove. will try it again see how it goes., but the old tires are due anyways.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I happen to have one OEM steelie on hand and it even has a decent OEM Bridgestone tire on it.

LOL on the guy driving around on the donut. I have been seeing one myself (on a full size Chevy sedan) every morning for the past two weeks at Starbucks. I guess the guy can't afford to get the original one fixed after spending $4 a day on coffee.
I got the notice in my box this last Wednesday that the rim+tire had arrived. I didn't look up the tracking number you provided (to know when to expect it), but (via FedEx ground) delivery seemed very speedy ! More tread on the tire than I expected !...I won't have to wait (until the 'new re the flat tire' tire comes off re a new set of 4) to put the rim to use. What causes the....for lack of a better term -- 'rust circles' (I noticed the same thing on a pic of Bronsin's Yaris re his very recent accident) ? Harsh winters? Only places with harsh winters and certain road treatment? I'm not concerned (I know you wouldn't sell anyone anything you deemed unsafe), I'm just curious. As an ex-girlfriend used to say....an inquiring mind wants to know . (others besides CTScott also welcome to answer )
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I got the notice in my box this last Wednesday that the rim+tire had arrived. I didn't look up the tracking number you provided (to know when to expect it), but (via FedEx ground) delivery seemed very speedy ! More tread on the tire than I expected !...I won't have to wait (until the 'new re the flat tire' tire comes off re a new set of 4) to put the rim to use. What causes the....for lack of a better term -- 'rust circles' (I noticed the same thing on a pic of Bronsin's Yaris re his very recent accident) ? Harsh winters? Only places with harsh winters and certain road treatment? I'm not concerned (I know you wouldn't sell anyone anything you deemed unsafe), I'm just curious. As an ex-girlfriend used to say....an inquiring mind wants to know . (others besides CTScott also welcome to answer )

That rim actually came off a California car. The circles on that one are where the paint got sandblasted off the rim in between the areas covered by the hubcap.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That rim actually came off a California car. The circles on that one are where the paint got sandblasted off the rim in between the areas covered by the hubcap.
Thanks !
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote