Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Top 10 American-Made Vehicles for 2014 (July 4, 2014)

Repost from TuneMyToyota.com as I find it pretty interesting:

Japanese Brands Dominate Cars.com's 2014 American-Made Index

Every year Cars.com compiles a list with the best-selling cars built in the U.S. that have a domestic-parts content of more than 75 percent. This year’s Top 10 is headed once again by Ford’s F-150 pickup truck, thanks to strong sales and continued domestic-parts sourcing.

Just like last year, the F-150 is followed by the Toyota Camry, but the order below these two cars has changed. Japanese brands dominate the list this year, with seven models out of ten being produced by carmakers from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Japan's dominance was also facilitated by the fact that GM’s three-row crossovers (Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia) have seen their domestic-parts content fell below 75 percent in 2014. The SUVs had taken at least one spot for the last three years.

Another car built by a U.S. carmaker that has disappeared from the American-Made Index (AMI) list is the Dodge Avenger. Although it ranked third last year, the sedan was disqualified because it faces immediate discontinuation and doesn’t have a clear successor.

However, there are four newcomers in the 2014 list: the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Crosstour and Dodge SRT Viper. All four models are present for the first time ever in the list. That’s because only these 10 cars were eligible for the AMI, the fewest in the study’s nine-year history.

For the 2014 model year, only 13 models built in the U.S. have domestic-parts content of 75 percent or higher, according to the NHTSA. However, three of those, including the Avenger, were disqualified because they’re being discontinued.

The 2014 American-Made Index Top 10

1. Ford F-150 (built in Dearborn, Michigan; Claycomo, Missouri)

2. Toyota Camry (Georgetown, Kentucky; Lafayette, Indiana)

3. Honda Odyssey (Lincoln, Alabama)

4. Toyota Sienna (Princeton, Indiana)

5. Toyota Tundra (San Antonio, Texas)

6. Toyota Avalon (Georgetown, Kentucky)

7. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (Bowling Green, Kentucky)

8. Honda Ridgeline (Lincoln, Alabama)

9. Honda Crosstour (East Liberty, Ohio)

10. Dodge Viper (Detroit, Michigan)

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

I find this very interesting for those that try to argue about how the Big 3 are American Made.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I find this very interesting for those that try to argue about how the Big 3 are American Made.
Really...! thanks for posting this, most interesting. The photos are great
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
More people need to inform themselves of these facts before they make a car buying decision based on where they think a car is built. Chances are, your Japanese car isn't made in Japan, your German car isn't made in Germany, your Korean car isn't made in Korea, and only about a 50% chance your American car is built in America. A lot of people still place importance on where they think a car is built in their buying decision. Others just prioritize the origin country which is more practical these days.

I don't have the heart to tell my parents who both bought Corolla's after declaring they'll never buy an "American made" car again that their Corolla's were made in America. Of course, the important factor is that it's still Japanese engineered.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
More people need to inform themselves of these facts before they make a car buying decision based on where they think a car is built. Chances are, your Japanese car isn't made in Japan, your German car isn't made in Germany, your Korean car isn't made in Korea, and only about a 50% chance your American car is built in America. A lot of people still place importance on where they think a car is built in their buying decision. Others just prioritize the origin country which is more practical these days.

I don't have the heart to tell my parents who both bought Corolla's after declaring they'll never buy an "American made" car again that their Corolla's were made in America. Of course, the important factor is that it's still Japanese engineered.

You aren't lying. The attitudes of the knuckleheads over at FSB.com about how ALL Fords and GMs are American made is the reason why I stopped going there after a few months when I had my 96 FSB. I had shared in the "what's your other car" thread about my 07 Yaris and a bunch of them threw a fit because I was a "Jap Lover". Effin morons.

Automakers are now for the most part global in scope and they have been for decades. I love American made, but we as nation as well can't wonder why our Big 3 use parts from around the globe....manufacturers in 'Merica are asking costs that are too high for them to swallow.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I enjoy both my Toyotas because of their reliability and low cost of operation. My wife and I have paid off both of our cars now, a Tacoma and a Yaris. No issues of any significance, and certainly none that haven't been taken care of at the dealership level.

My Dodge on the other hand, thank gawd it's a project car. I've put more into this thing to get it running correctly (not including upgrades and resulting costs) than I have both Toyotas.