Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
ABS brakes don't work as well in the snow in any car. It is meant to stop on a smoother surface where it the still spinning wheels can grip the grooves in the road. In snow or gravel, you WANT the wheels to stop spinning so it digs into the loose snow. I've never done it, but it's supposed to be easy to take out the ABS fuse.

I drive in Canada and i cannot agree more with the winter tire assessment. I've never had a product in ANY industry impress me more with the difference it made. I thought the winter tire stuff might have been a little overhyped but man, they are excellent.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
I also got some stud less snow tires last winter and they work very well
forget chains and studs these special compound snow tires are really magic
no hype, mine are observe mud and snow tires by Toyo .
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Talking Yaris/snow

Park it in the garage, and pull out the 4x4 truck with the big knobby tires. And then laugh and wave at all the little cars stuck in the snow as you blow by them!

Bonus points: Yell at them "Git outta the way!!!"

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #22
wispaintstyle

Drives: Black 08 Yaris Liftback
Be very gentle on your brakes and gas until you're used to your rubber. It'll give you nasty understeer, and if you get it back expect the back end to swing out.
wispaintstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
last snow storm wiped out my driver side splash shield and all clips..

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #24
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Park it in the garage, and pull out the 4x4 truck with the big knobby tires. And then laugh and wave at all the little cars stuck in the snow as you blow by them!

Bonus points: Yell at them "Git outta the way!!!"

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.
2 years ago when I still had my IHC Scout II, I had to make grooves for a echo and a xb that were stuck in a parking lot, lol. turns out 12.5 inch wide tires are good for something! that thing was beastly in the snow.
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #25
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
My current winter plan is to drive the '89 Toyota All-Trac. Being all wheel (on demand) drive it kicks ass. BUT, no cruise control, no 40+ mpg (30+ though), not as good as audio, but it DOES have roll down windows in the back, so it is the prefered ride of Ted the Dog. You can see him in the morning watching as I decide which rig we'll be aking: if it's the old red All Tac he about pisses due to excitement. We are known for no matter how bad the weather, the rear windows are DOWN. Being 1,000' above the valley 4x4 isn't just "nice" for me, it's a gotta have. A lot of times I'll be coming home late at night and the snow will be deep enough (the county plows only in the AM after a storm) that ground clearance is a major factor, and I'm afraid that even with the best dedicated winter tire once high centered it'd be all over with the Yaris! Plus the All-Trac has the older boat hooks on all four corners if worse comes to worse. I paid 600 bucks for it 3 years ago, and can't kill it, in fact one of the reason I bought my Yaris was to NOT drive the All-Trac except for when absolutely needed so as to extend it's usefull life.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #26
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I agree with this 100 percent, and I've likewise discovered that it's better to just pump the brakes if you find yourself in a slide. This is the first car I've ever driven that has ABS, and I fail to see how it's safer.
This is terrible advice.

If you stand on the brake pedal, the ABS is kicking in constantly many times a second.

If you pump the brake pedal, ABS only kicks in when you're apply pressure.
When you're not applying pressure, ABS is not unlocking the wheels because there's no braking pressure, because they're not braking.

So you're going from many pulsations per second, second after consequtive second, to many pulsations for every alternating 1/4 second at best.

Even though ABS isn't the fastest way to stop a car in deep snow, not stepping on the brake pedal is far wosre.

Winter tires FTW.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #27
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Winter tires FTW.
ITS under 40 degree tires!!! GET IT RIGHT....

Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #28
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Bottom line, nobody can tell you have to drive any car in snow. One simply has to have a feel for theircar/tires, for the road conditions and know the limits of its traction.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #29
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
snow tires make all the difference

a full on winter tire with the mountain snowflake symbol is the only way to go in winter.

I got Michelin X Ice Xi2 and they truly do allow the Yaris
to climb steep snow covered hills, and make corners safely, unbelievably well.
it went from 'I never want to drive this in the snow' to 'this car is unstoppable in snow'

The X Ice also doesn't howl on the highway, like other studless snows.
It is the best snow tire for what I do. short weekday commutes on steep
drumlins, and long trips up the interstate on weekends.

any current studless snow tire will be like night and day on the Yaris.

if you want MAX possible grip, get something with chunky blocks like the original
Blizzak LM50. If you want excellent snow and ice grip but less howl on highway, get the
Michelin X Ice or the newer Blizzak with a similar tread like WS60 or WS70

*if you want to stick with an M+S tire that does OK in snow, Michelin makes the
best M+S tire hands down. They actually last long in summer and have real grip
in winter to some extent.
im sorry, i have to disagree with a few points. the m+s aka all season, there are a few tires that are way ahead of Michelin. there are currently 2 all weather tires on the market, the leader is actually the Nokian WRG2, winter rated all season tire that will give the same winter performance as the Xi2, and it is made to be driven year round. a new one also arrived this year which is the Hankook Optimo 4s.

one thing that Michelin doesn't advertise is that their Xi2 is actually an entry level winter tire. they are for the person that rather drive on good winter days and want a quiet winter tire. In my area we need something a lot more aggressive. but in the end they are much better then an all season.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
ITS under 40 degree tires!!! GET IT RIGHT....
Although you're technically right, it's semantics to the general population.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #31
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Although you're technically right, it's semantics to the general population.
I just LOVE busting BARBER'S balls thats all....

Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #32
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post

one thing that Michelin doesn't advertise is that their Xi2 is actually an entry level winter tire. they are for the person that rather drive on good winter days and want a quiet winter tire. In my area we need something a lot more aggressive. but in the end they are much better then an all season.
well, my actual real world driving experience

a) entry level ? this is Michelin -only- studless winter tire that will
fits 14 inch rims, and it gets rave reviews (and from me too)

b) there is no compromise in this tire except hydroplaning. My yaris climbed
the hell out of steep 13 and 14deg hills coated with powder, packed powder, packed wet snow, and ice spots. traction control only kicked in a tiny bit, the rest was all grip grip grip and it drove around extremely well

c) ya I think in a different post I did say if you are constantly on snow, such as Canada, get something else, like a blizzak. Michelin are great for occasional 1 or 2 weeks of snow, 5-8 times a year, the rest of time dry roads
...but the tread will last longer than any other winter tire...this is a good point here

d) that nokian M+S vs Michelin M+S. that model nokian will hydroplane on you in
conditions a Michelin Harmony M+S won't. people use M+S the most hours they drive a car. and Michelin tires are hands down the best engineered for what I do anyway...my driving is a ton of 80mph in all weather. don't need to hydroplane and I never do with Michelins M+S (xice do hydroplane so I slow down to 65 when using those in the wet)

if I can clarify I mean: any M+S Michelin with large circumferential grooves is the best tire...period. and yes they can do extremly well in snow vs any other M+S -and- last a long time. I need to add 'last a long time' and also 'Michelins stay round longest of any tire' no one can make a better carcass than Michelin. other tires will develop warps or flat spots under conditions Michelin tires just laugh at

e) yes there are a dozen excellent tires and depending on where you live and
how you drive can dictate what tire is best. no one tire will work for everyone.

Michelin xice defy physics though...they have insane grip but they look like they don't...appearance-wise. stick them on some rims and stick them on a car and put that car on ice and snow and stand back...they only lack in the hydroplaning department... and on wet tar they can be made to slip if you are extra aggressive.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #33
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
let me re-clarify

c) ya I think in a different post I did say if you are constantly on snow, such as Canada, get something else, like a blizzak. Michelin are great for occasional 1 or 2 weeks of snow, 5-8 times a year, the rest of time dry roads
...but the tread will last longer than any other winter tire...this is a good point here

what I mean by this is: Michelin would be fine in the arctic. snow 24x7x365 if you want.

it just lacks at hydroplaning, and that translates to lacks at pushing slush. nothing dangerous,
and you can certainly drive just fine at normal speeds...but other winter tires let you drive
above the speed limits on crappy conditions if that is your fancy....if you
are constantly in a place where pushing wet slush is the norm, you might want something
else. but where the slush periods are short and few, these rock the house

since I will have more dry-road miles on the xice, like many in the US, the Michelins
rule because they have a long tire tread warranty and the tread can survive many more miles
on dry winter roads than any other studless snow tire sold today
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #34
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

^^ what he said....

Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #35
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Quote:
well, my actual real world driving experience

a) entry level ? this is Michelin -only- studless winter tire that will
fits 14 inch rims, and it gets rave reviews (and from me too)
yes, that is what Michelin released to us directly, they state on their marketing, and that they are only recommended to 4mm of snow. (to us of course not general public as they want to sell their tires.) as for the reviews yes, they are tested in places like where you live.

Quote:
b) there is no compromise in this tire except hydroplaning. My yaris climbed
the hell out of steep 13 and 14deg hills coated with powder, packed powder, packed wet snow, and ice spots. traction control only kicked in a tiny bit, the rest was all grip grip grip and it drove around extremely well
that is the requirement for winter tires. they wouldn't be able to sell any tires if they couldn't.
have you ever used anything else?

Quote:
yes, it sounds like you are in an area where these could be a best match for you. our winters are nothing like that. i didn't see that you stated to get something else for worse conditions, my bad.

Quote:
d) that nokian M+S vs Michelin M+S. that model nokian will hydroplane on you in
conditions a Michelin Harmony M+S won't. people use M+S the most hours they drive a car. and Michelin tires are hands down the best engineered for what I do anyway...my driving is a ton of 80mph in all weather. don't need to hydroplane and I never do with Michelins M+S (xice do hydroplane so I slow down to 65 when using those in the wet)
i'm sorry but the harmony?!... that isnt even a compairison between the two, the hydro-plaining and slush-plaining from the Nokian are far superior. im sure you have run Michelins for many years but there are better tires on the market. why wouldn't you want a winter tire made to drive year round that going to stop shorter on snow and ice? it just doesn't make sense? the harmony's time is over. that technology is 30 years old.

Quote:
if I can clarify I mean: any M+S Michelin with large circumferential grooves is the best tire...period. and yes they can do extremly well in snow vs any other M+S -and- last a long time. I need to add 'last a long time' and also 'Michelins stay round longest of any tire' no one can make a better carcass than Michelin. other tires will develop warps or flat spots under conditions Michelin tires just laugh at
so right there that sounds a little bias sorry. but to say there are the best... you should do some research. i do agree that they have been around for a very long time. and yes they do last a long time. but the biggest thing that bothers me with Michelin is they focus on their high performance and heavy truck applications. it seems like they have almost given up on passenger tires. harmony same design for 30 years. the Michelin mxv series. their ltx series.. the only difference between the 1 and 2 is their siping goes through their tread block instead of half way. and their "winter" version is only a softer rubber... they lack on their r&d, they could be alot better then what they are.

Quote:
e) yes there are a dozen excellent tires and depending on where you live and
how you drive can dictate what tire is best. no one tire will work for everyone.
that is true, i completly agree with that statement.

Quote:
Michelin xice defy physics though...they have insane grip but they look like they don't...appearance-wise. stick them on some rims and stick them on a car and put that car on ice and snow and stand back...they only lack in the hydroplaning department... and on wet tar they can be made to slip if you are extra aggressive.
do they really? it may seem that way, but thats any winter tire compaired to an all season.

Quote:
and you can certainly drive just fine at normal speeds...but other winter tires let you drive
above the speed limits on crappy conditions if that is your fancy
that is partially true, yes you can drive more aggressive, but also you have the ability to stop faster, accelerate, and maneuver safer when that time comes. because i know we have all been that that situation that we wish be had a little more control, thats truly what they are made for is safety, not so you can drive like an animal.

and lastly im not trying to pick any fights, im just trying to educate. they do make good tires, but so far i have found a better tire option in almost every application for people.

Last edited by Scubaru Steve; 11-17-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #36
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by romram View Post
just came from work, it's 11pm in CT... driving a yaris hatch.
oh boy.... it's hard to drive in a 4-6ins of snow. i know, even a 4x4 will have a hard time in snow mix with rain...
any tips? specially if your yaris is already shifting sideways... (at 5-15mph!)
I did not need to put snow/winter tires on the last 3 cars I've owned (Corolla, Civic, Accord). All-seasons did the job for me, however for some strange reason with the Yaris snow tires are almost mandatory.

I don't quite know exactly why but it must have something to do with size/weight of this car.

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote