Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
Cool Does your Yaris cigarette lighter drain battery?

My 2007 Yaris drained my car battery after plugging in a cigarette socket splitter. I had to get a jump start on my battery. I had left 3 devices plugged in and left it for at least 4 hours came back and the car wouldn't start

Does the Yaris still charges devices in the cigarette socket even after the car is turned off? I don't think it does because I ran a test where I would leave a device plugged in and the red indicator light was off.

I don't think my Yaris is suppose to be draining the battery with devices plugged into the cigarette socket after the car has been turned off and it's driving me insane. Do you guys understand what I'm asking? Thanks in advance.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
No it doesn't. Cig lighter is switched with the acc ignition so there is no power when the key is out/off position.

So there is probably something else that drained your battery. Did it happen more than once?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
MoneyT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
No it doesn't. Cig lighter is switched with the acc ignition so there is no power when the key is out/off position.

So there is probably something else that drained your battery. Did it happen more than once?
It has happen before and that was also when I had plugged a device into the cigarette lighter. It had only happen when something was plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. So I really don't know what's going on. For now I won't be charging anything or at least won't be leaving anything in the socket while I'm away from my car.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
is the car used, and has it been modified to be live when the ignition is off?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
MoneyT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
is the car used, and has it been modified to be live when the ignition is off?
I bought the car used and the battery is new. I don't think it it is live when ignition is off but yet it still draws enough power to kill the battery. It doesn't do this all the time it has happen only twice but still nervous about plugging devices in.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Does your Yaris cigarette lighter drain battery?

One way to find out is to plug it in and check if it still powers up or charges your device.

If that's not the case, then your devices are definitely not drawing power from the battery while it's plugged in.

Either way, it's not hard to unplug it when you get out if the car.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #7
MoneyT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
One way to find out is to plug it in and check if it still powers up or charges your device.

If that's not the case, then your devices are definitely not drawing power from the battery while it's plugged in.

Either way, it's not hard to unplug it when you get out if the car.
It's not hard to unplug, however sometimes I do forget.