Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Iridium Sparkplugs Experiment

In a moment of weakness I bought a set of OEM GK iridium plugs for my wifes Camry. Its got 126k on it and has the original plugs. $40!

This was stupid because I had resolved, based on my experience of 40+ years fixing cars to never change them. I don't believe its necessary to change even regular plugs for the life of the car unless its burning oil or they become manifestly defective. This is because of unleaded gas and high energy 50,000 volt today vs 12,000 volt in the past ignition systems.

However its also my opinion based on the above that one still needs to r and r the plugs every 30k or so miles so they don't become seized. This I have not done Im sorry to say.

However I have resolved to have the old ones out. If they ARE stuck this will be impossible. We will see. I will examine the plugs and of theyre OK I will regap and clean them and reinstall them. I can get my money back. If not I'll put the new ones in.

It may take a while because Im old. Maybe one a week?

Stay tuned!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
bronsin

HA that was quick! Cant get em out theyre stuck! I turned one of them about a 1/4 turn to scary creaking and squeeking noises with a great deal of effort on the cheater pipe. So I tightened it back up. Don't want to strip the threads!

So the results of the experiment are: r and r your plugs every 30k miles/every two years even though they are good for 100-125k miles! Clean and oil the threads or lube them.

Any opinions/advice on how or whether to proceed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (124.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Maybe try squirting a bit of penetrating oil down into the tubes and let is sit for while. Also try with the engine crazy hot to see if heat helps at all.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I've used my electric impact gun on stuck plugs. I've had more success removing seized fasteners with it than manual tools as the rapid impact of the gun breaks them loose without the risk of twisting and snapping it.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Maybe try squirting a bit of penetrating oil down into the tubes and let is sit for while. Also try with the engine crazy hot to see if heat helps at all.
I think I'll leave the plastic cover off and try the heat experiment sometime in the future. Would penetrating oil get into the threads even with the plugs unloosened?
Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I've used my electric impact gun on stuck plugs. I've had more success removing seized fasteners with it than manual tools as the rapid impact of the gun breaks them loose without the risk of twisting and snapping it.
I have one of those but stripping the threads would be a disaster. Still its something to think about thanks!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
^ This.

Also, since you did manage a quarter turn, after penetrating oil has been allowed to work for a bit try backing it out a little then turn back in. Keep doing this and eventually each time you back out it should come a little further.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ This.

Also, since you did manage a quarter turn, after penetrating oil has been allowed to work for a bit try backing it out a little then turn back in. Keep doing this and eventually each time you back out it should come a little further.
The problem with that is my back and neck are really screwed up. I need to be able to go to work! The wife needs the car ditto. So the chances to do that are limited. And I can only work about five minutes before needed a rest.

But what penetrating oil do you recommend? all I have is WD40.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
PB Blaster works well for me.
First I would heat the plugs and spray it as it's cooling, a lot. This will smoke.
The cooling will help draw in the oil. Since you can get a little movement on the plug
keep tightening and loosing to help work the lube in.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #10
bronsin

Ive decided to try again to remove the sparkplugs from the wifes Camry with the engine hot this time. If that doesn't work Im going to try and get my money back for them and just go with whats in there forever. I think I know why the plugs are hard to get out. The threads of the plugs aren't sealed from the combustion chamber and brown deposits build up over time, making removal difficult. Add a little corrosion to that and the metal thread in the head will come out if you try and force matters. You can see in the picture Im using a pipe cheater on the ratchet!

BUt Im thinking I better try and get the plugs out of my 09 Yaris with 42K on it before they seize too. So that's another project. I figger get the plastic cover off and one plug out is a days work for my back.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Never Seize is your friend.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
Never Seize is your friend.
Do you use it? Ive heard using it on plugs can short them out?

True or false.

If you say you use it OK (or others do too) I will get some.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I always use it. Just a dab'l'do'ya.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I've always used antiseize, never any issues and plugs always come out like butter
Old 12-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #15
bronsin

OK Im sold.

Im thinking have the AS in there on the threads will serve to block the combustion gasses from building up as the brown deposits on the threads. Which is what in my opinion makes the plugs hard to get out if you don't r and r them once in a while.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #16
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
You're only 50, what's with all this old talk?? My pops is 80. He'd say you still have half an egg shell hanging off your @$$
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
bronsin

59. Torn muscle left lower back 1999. Ruptured disk in the neck 2003. Arthritis in middle back. Botched ingrown toenail operation 2001. No feeling in the feet as a result.

Lumbago in the neck and back. Sounds trivial unless you overdo stuff. Then its like being electrocuted.

Its true Im not old!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Yeah, I'm familiar with all that stuff. Not first hand, but from my pops. He's had knee replacement on both knees, titanium put into his lower back, shoulder surgery, arthritis everywhere and more cortisone shots than I can count--among many other things. My best friend is only 44 and takes heavy duty pain meds for back issues. You don't have to be old to suffer from that stuff and it's no joke. I feel for you, bud.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote