Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
4x4Dragon

Drives: '10 3dr LB-Blazing Blue
Attention: Any/All with MicroImage lowering springs...

I'm interested in seeing pics of your car and your experience with settling... Particularly in the front. I just put mine in yesterday and the rear seems to be noticeably lower than the front to the point where it makes me wonder if I even got 1" out of the front. :( I used Megan Racing springs before on my last Yaris so I'm not a complete newbie. The stock ride height looked pretty even as far as gap went front vs back..... A bit frustrating after hours of knuckle bruising.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.
4x4Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'll get some pics for you tomorrow. The front settled down for me after 1-2months. Looks more even and better now than after the install.

Rides just like stock w/ my oem struts still on it. The body roll is virtually gone now as well. I've had no issues w/ mine either performance or function. I'm sure Garm will answer any Q's you have. He's a great guy to deal with.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
4x4Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I'll get some pics for you tomorrow. The front settled down for me after 1-2months. Looks more even and better now than after the install.

Rides just like stock w/ my oem struts still on it. The body roll is virtually gone now as well. I've had no issues w/ mine either performance or function. I'm sure Garm will answer any Q's you have. He's a great guy to deal with.
Thnx. Hoping the same happens for me....
I agree, the ride doesn't seem too much different than stock...I'm almost wondering if I'd prefer a bit more stiff but I think I'll be happy with all around performance once I get my rear sway bar.

I did message GARM and he said something about a tad bit of settling, maybe. Crossing my fingers.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
tmontague

Definitely get the sway bar. Without it you'll have a lot of under steer since the rear springs are much less stiff than the fronts.

I have the rear sway bar and i've wondered what it would be like with stiffer springs but I've never actually felt like I have actually gotten to a point of needing them. I'd also recommend a rear wheel spacer kit, I have 10mm w/ a slight negative camber and that made a surprising difference in handling as well.

You could always run stiffer struts/shocks which will help stiffen everything up without hurting th comfort too much. It's a good compromise if you DD your car
Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
jmanous

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2007
@4x4Dragon how different is the ride between MI and Megan Racing springs?
Are you using comparable struts?

@tmontague how much bumpier the ride is?
I got GR2s with Megan Racing springs and in the end the ride is definitely bumpier.
jmanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
tmontague

TBH I can't remember exactly how soft the ride was oem, but put it this way: If I can't remember the oem ride being smoother than my current ride with MI springs can't be bad at all.

I wouldn't call the current ride bumpy like what you think of with stiff coilovers. I'm thinking of getting stiffer struts or softer than usual coilovers (still stiffer than oem) down the road purely because I want to make the Yaris a little more stiff and dampen the spring bounce a little more. It is by no means "bouncy" but since the springs are lower a stiffer damper would allow for the springs to compress slower and would/could smooth out the high speed bumps.

The only time I notice a large difference is on humps at highway speeds, it isn't rough or bad it's just a bit rougher than the feather softness of the acnormally high travel stock Yaris. The other time I notice it is during hard cornering. Virtually no body roll and that is with stock struts.

As a DD MI springs are great and they'd be fine for autoX I'm sure. As a track car you'd want coilovers.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
4x4Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanous View Post
@4x4Dragon how different is the ride between MI and Megan Racing springs?
Are you using comparable struts?

@tmontague how much bumpier the ride is?
I got GR2s with Megan Racing springs and in the end the ride is definitely bumpier.
I would venture to say that my Megan's were 'bouncier' but that could have been due to those OEM shocks/struts having 80k+ miles on them....my current Yaris only has about 55k miles. Neither would I call an unpleasant ride but my wife did seem to complain about my previous Yaris with the Megan's.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Ride comfort is not much different from OEM, but it massively understeer.

Here is how mine looks like.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
tmontague

Yah, if you go with the MI springs just make sure you get the rear sway bar. Here are images of my Yaris w/ MI springs on stock struts/shocks that are new.