Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Piggies Short Shift

So, I picked up a Piggies short shifter (engine bay) on eBay. It arrived yesterday and I installed it last night, which only took a whopping 2 minutes to do so. I went through the gear box motions before driving on and was instantly pleased by how short the shifts were. Then I took the Yaris for a brief drive and it was a joy to drive. The SS definitely adds even more pleasure to driving the Yaris. Yes, the movement is a little more firm, but by a very small amount. I like it. The firmness makes the car feel more expensive. It's hard to explain. You just have to try it for yourself (well, those who haven't already). I'm going to lubricate the metal parts with some silicone spray in a few minutes to see if that makes the shifting even more smoother. I will let you all know.

Btw, I paid a minuscule $60 (USPS Priority Mail shipping included) and it looks just like the JDM kit. And the customer service/communication was excellent (Thanks, Mike!).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Piggi...Q5fAccessories

Cheers.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
posaunemeister

Yeah, lubricating the SS, the washer, hair pins, and the moving metal parts with silicone spray definitely made the stick movement even better. Now it functions just as it should have when it first left the factory.

My NST 10% underdrive pulley should arrive tomorrow. Once that's installed, I should be done [for good] with my "modifications". It's not like I'll ever race my Yaris or anything. I just want to enhance the joy and fun on my everyday driving.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Good post. Thanks for the info.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
I have the same SSK but I couldn't get the cotter pin in the part that goes over the top of it (it seemed like the pice was manufactured just slightly too thick). Then it got stuck on there so I just gave up on installing it. Been using it for about a year now without problems though Other than that I have no complaints.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Yeah , my next modd for sure along with some shifter cable bushing too
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
etheliters

Drives: 07 yaris hatch
What are the bushings for on shifters?Good info. Thanks for the review.
etheliters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
posaunemeister

You all are very welcome. I've been doing a lot more driving since my initial post. I really dig the short(er) distance that the stick has to travel. Th motions are very clean, as opposed to the sloppy stock motions which at times make it difficult to distinguish 1st from 3rd gear, or 2nd from 4th gear. Likewise, it's definitely a great product at a very affordable price.

PHXDEMON, my [cotter] pin fit in the hole very easily, especially after a little silicone spray, and that's even with the washer on, too. You should probably check to make sure the SSK is firmly in position, or maybe lubing all of the components will help the components swivel into place. Then again, if it's been working for a year without any problems, it's probably best to leave well enough alone, eh?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I've enjoyed mine for ~80,000 kl. now. Good value.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.

Last edited by MUSKOKA800; 04-19-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Increase mileage from 50k to 80k...still perfect.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
This may just be my next mod.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by posaunemeister View Post
You all are very welcome. I've been doing a lot more driving since my initial post. I really dig the short(er) distance that the stick has to travel. Th motions are very clean, as opposed to the sloppy stock motions which at times make it difficult to distinguish 1st from 3rd gear, or 2nd from 4th gear. Likewise, it's definitely a great product at a very affordable price.

PHXDEMON, my [cotter] pin fit in the hole very easily, especially after a little silicone spray, and that's even with the washer on, too. You should probably check to make sure the SSK is firmly in position, or maybe lubing all of the components will help the components swivel into place. Then again, if it's been working for a year without any problems, it's probably best to leave well enough alone, eh?
I threw plenty of muscle PB blaster and WD40 at it for 30 minutes before giving up, but yeah it has been fine for over a year so I guess the pin isn't 100% necessary.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^lol
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
There are two parts suppliers on the 2008s. The nst have the same problem with the cotter pin. Some people grind it to make the pin fit.

good luck
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Y@R15
Dude wheres my car?

Drives: 98 honda VTi
so thts the 2ZR transmission shifters that the yaris shares?
Y@R15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Variation from TRD short shift??

Does anyone have any experience with toyota TRD shortshift-ware and how this varies from other after-market equipment?
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
RedRide

I just go my Piggies SS from e-Bay but, there is a problem.

It appears the SS does not sit low enough to expose the hole on the shift arm pin for the stock cotter pin.
I suspect a badly machined SS and now, I just have an expensive paper weight.

I notified the seller and await his response but, my hopes are not too high for a resolution.

Udate: I received a reply from the seller describing the cause and simple soulution was described. I will try it again tomorow morning. Now it's off to work

Last edited by RedRide; 09-15-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Nice review! I like mine too!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I just go my Piggies SS from e-Bay but, there is a problem.

It appears the SS does not sit low enough to expose the hole on the shift arm pin for the stock cotter pin.
I suspect a badly machined SS and now, I just have an expensive paper weight.

I notified the seller and await his response but, my hopes are not too high for a resolution.

Udate: I received a reply from the seller describing the cause and simple soulution was described. I will try it again tomorow morning. Now it's off to work
What was the solution? I had the exact same problem with mine.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
RedRide

As the problem is, not enough of the hole is revealed to insert the pin, the soulution was to taper the end of the pin with a file to get it started.
However, this did not work and I still can't get it installed.

I might wind up modifying the SS with my dremel.

BTW, the cause if this is, athough the SS is a precision machined part, the shift arm and pin isn't and can vary is size sometimes.