Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Driving LA to CHI - rental or driveaway?

So my brother is plannning on moving from Los Angeles to Chicago. He's not bringing beds or anything big, so a mid sized car will do fine.

Does anyone know of good deals on cross country rentals?? Everywhere I've checked charges like 800 dollars for one-way "drop off"

Also, has anyone ever tried a "driveaway?" From what I read its when someone wants to move across country and they don't want to drive their car, so they pay someone else to drive it for them.

Or, if you have any ideas on how to drive cross country for cheap besides rentals or driveaways, I'm all ears.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
So my brother is plannning on moving from Los Angeles to Chicago. He's not bringing beds or anything big, so a mid sized car will do fine.

Does anyone know of good deals on cross country rentals?? Everywhere I've checked charges like 800 dollars for one-way "drop off"

Also, has anyone ever tried a "driveaway?" From what I read its when someone wants to move across country and they don't want to drive their car, so they pay someone else to drive it for them.

Or, if you have any ideas on how to drive cross country for cheap besides rentals or driveaways, I'm all ears.
I've made a 5,500 mile move twice, and did a 500mile move once. What i've learned is how incredibly smart it is to craiglist as much as you can, and then donate the stuff you can't sell, or isn't worth much. Unless you have very expensive things, the cost you spend to relocate your belongings will be similar to the hit you would take if you sold, and bought again when you reach your destination city.

I got rid of an old TV in a day on craigslist and I don't live in a densely populated area. If your bro wanted, he could offload ALOT, quickly, and in the process make the move MUCH easier.

as for transportation or rentals.... I think you're screwed on that one. The best I have seen is some rental companies will do unlimited miles inbetween say 2 bordering states. For example, Enterprise allows unlimited miles in the Oregon/Washington area. i'm guessing your bro would take 3 days to do that trip, he might be able to rent a different car each day, pick up in cali, drop off in colorado or utah, then pick up and drop off somewhere else... Its a long shot... but might be possible... you might also have to use multiple rental companies to pull it off.

moving is spendy, no way around it.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
If he's not bringing anything big, he can take a 2 day train ride - Amtrak - and for just a ticket it is ~$150. And if he does have a few big items, here are some options:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...553878&ssid=43

Carry-On Baggage 50 lbs. (23 kg) 28" x 22" x 14"* n/a
Checked Baggage 50 lbs. (23 kg) 36" x 36" x 36" 30 mins prior to departure†

Special Items: Amtrak accepts a number of special items such as baby strollers, bicycles, golf bags, musical instruments, snowboards and skis (one board or set per bag/container). In most cases there is a handling charge of $5.00 per special item.

For any larger items they have a cheap shipping service as well:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...554164&ssid=43

He'd need a local rental or a buddy in LA and CHI but if it's $500-600 cheaper...you could afford the local truck, or dinner for the buddy.

Good Luck!