Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
08blackyari
slowpoke

Drives: 08 blk LB manu. pwr opt & cld
Ridiculous errors from the dealership

Hey guys,
I have an 08 back LB (5 speed) with the power and convenience(winter?) package. Anyways, I was coming close to the 36k mark and decided that I need to check the TSB's to see if my car fit any of the symptoms so I could get them fixed before the warranty expired. It did have the hvac odor issue so I took it in and they confirmed it and also told me they would change the Aux port (a complaint I had), even though they couldn't recreate the problem. Sweet! But they didn't have the part so I had to return the next day. I did so and dropped the car off, at which point I was offered an injection cleaning and some brake work, so that my car would be fuel efficient and that brake peddle would have a better feel and grab at a higher point. I refused both extras (keep this in mind later on).
When I went back to the dealership I entered my car to find the plastic beneath the steering column to be sticking out, so I pushed it back in. Silly mechanics. I then put my key in the ignition and went to disengage the parking brake when I noticed that the plastic for the aux port was also not properly installed. I then pushed that back into place. I next disengaged the emergency brake, which made an interesting clicking sound because it was rubbing against the housing, and decided that I need to overlook the whole car before I was going to leave.
I found scratches on the passenger glove box, a chipped face plate where the ac comes from the center counsel, and a couple other scratches. I alerted the dealer and he had a porter take the car around back and clean it up for me. When I returned it seemed better but not perfect. I was told that they would order a new faceplate since it could not be fixed and that it would be in in a few days. As I drove the car back home, which took me a hour and ten minutes because of the delay, I started to notice more scratches that weren't visible in the light provided before. In addition, the part they cleaned up on the glove box looked foolishly like a different black in different lighting. I was pissed. How could a mechanic and service manager allow such a thing leave the work bay without a quality inspection?
Heres the kicker, my brake peddle feels a lot more firm as it seems as if the brakes are engaging slightly as I coast in neutral. As I get out of my car I noticed that the rear brake lights are on even though the lights are not on and nothing is touching the brake. I press and depress the brakes and nothing seems to turn it off. I call the dealer and they say to bring it in and that it is probably a COINCIDENCE and that they didn't have anything to do with it! Instead of taking it back to them I took it to the dealership closer to my house and they had to remove the paneling below the steering column and connect a wire that the original mechanic disconnected. I had them document all this so I could show the other dealership.
Today, Friday, I dropped off the car at the dealer and showed the service guy, who was really apologetic, all the different areas with scratches, which I placed mini post-it notes next to, so that he knew exactly what to fix. I also complained about how dirty the windshield was and some other crap because the car was clean when I gave it to them. I also explained to them about the brakes and they said they would investigate it.
When I went to pick up the car their was still some scratches and I was told they would be tackled when they were going to replace the cover of the steering wheel, which they scratched. They said the brakes were fine and I drove off.
Five miles later my brakes start to seize as I make a right hand turn and I'm struggling to make forward progress in 3rd gear, 2nd, and 1st (which I had floored to make any progress). I pulled over as soon as I could and got out. I touched the rear passenger rim and it was at an ok temp but the fronts were blistering hot, so I guess the fronts seized up *fronts are discs while the rears are drums). I had to call the Toyota dealership so they could tow the car back. It was quick since I was only 5 miles away.
When I got there I started to get quietly angry and explained the ordeal of having been at a Toyota dealership 5 times in 4 days, 4 of which were their fault and that I wanted a courtesy car so that they can properly examine the car. The new service manager (the one a hour earlier had gone home already) then started to slightly complain when I wanted to show him the scratches they missed and the slight scratches they created when installing the new piece. Although they are small, they weren't there when I gave them the car. He then inspected the outside of the car and made comments about some scratches to see if I knew they were there, in a mocking effort to see if I was going to claim those as well. I replied that I'm only claiming his mistakes, which are all related to the dash and told him that I just wanted my car in the condition that I brought it in.
I know this is long but damn is it frustrating. What do you guys think? The car is in and hopefully i'll hear something tomorrow.
08blackyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Rosch

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5D Liftback
It sounds to me they were a bit careless (and sloppy as you said some of the plastic parts weren't tightly fitting) when fixing the original issues you brought it in for. The outside dirtiness of the car I could personally overlook, assuming it was just dirtiness and no dings/scratches/etc, as garages and mechanical work can tend to be dirty. The interior scratches/scuffs/etc I would be very aggravated about as well, as they should have been more careful when working inside your car. They also don't seem to be all that sincere or caring whether the mistakes get fixed in a timely manner, they seem to just want to do the least amount to get you out of their way.

I would get what you can from them, then write them off as a dealership to never do business with. You said their was a dealership closer to your house, any reason why you chose the other over the closer one? If you've had no problems with the closer one, I'd use them for any future issues.

The brake issue, who knows... could have easily just been a coincidence, or they may have done the brake work you told them NOT to do and screwed something up.
Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
08blackyari
slowpoke

the dirtiness of the windshield was on the inside, not the outside, which I know was clean when I dropped it off.

The only reason I used this dealership is because it is close to my work. I'm less than 150 miles from expiring my warranty so I took it to the most convenient place, which is closer to my work than home since they could do the work while I was working. And since they screwed up and had to order new parts they had to install them (I asked at the other dealership if they could just have it sent to them and they said they couldn't).
Any future work will most def. be done else where. In fact, regardless of how this turns out I'm going to write a series of letters to Toyota Corp. and make as bug of a fuss as possible. Is that wrong??
Old 08-28-2010, 03:14 AM   #4
Rosch

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5D Liftback
I personally wouldn't push the dirtiness issue, but you have a very legitimate complaint when it comes to the quality and carelessness they went about doing the repairs. Is there any way for you to find out for certain if they did any work (and what that entailed) on the braking system (even though you told them not to)? If they did do any work on it, and it potentially caused the brake issue, I would be severely pissed off over that. The light to medium cosmetic damage is one thing, but potentially causing a problem that could compromise the safety, integrity and function of the car is a huge issue. Especially since you did not give them permission to repair/enhance those functions.

As a dealership that provides such services they should either stand behind their services or get out of the business.

I wouldn't say that it is wrong to make a complaint. It's your right as a consumer, if you feel you've had a bad experience it's your right to officially make formal complaints even if the situation is eventually rectified. If you feel the need to exercise that right, then I say go for it, just be as polite as possible in the complaint.
Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
I would file a formal complaint with Toyota Corporate, after all the lawsuites they seem more oblgatory now...Unacceptable to have sloppy work done

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
08blackyari
slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
I would file a formal complaint with Toyota Corporate, after all the lawsuites they seem more oblgatory now...Unacceptable to have sloppy work done
i'm waiting to get my car back before I start my formal complaint. Hopefully it goes smoothly.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08blackyari View Post
i'm waiting to get my car back before I start my formal complaint. Hopefully it goes smoothly.
With my experience fixing 200 things in my car and getting messed up a lot of times I suggest you to call Toyota to their headquarters number and open a case for all your issues with the car if there are TSB's you will like to take care mention to them that you have those problems mentioned on the tsb this way the dealer is forced to do impeccable job.

Good luck!
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
I went through the same ordeal on my 2004 Civic Si hatchback...I called Honda Corporate and rasied hell, they assigned me my own Honda agent that sent me to different dealership and fixed my car free of charge..Call Toyota Corporate and do the same, with Toyota's current situation I am sure someone there will get it resolved.

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post

Toyota Corporate won't do shit for you, I know from experience.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Hope that's not the case with TOYOTA corporation . The '08 sedan goes under the wrench for replacement of the head cylinder gasket due to the gasket leaking oil to the backside of the engine from the # 1 cylinder . We took pics of the car inside , ouside , and under the hood of the engine compartment for any incidents that may occur . Wonder if we should get them to replace the spark plugs under warranty in case any of plugs are fouled by a internl coolant leak . Let you know how it goes .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
08blackyari
slowpoke

Heres the deal, I love my car and it is a great value if you maintain it properly. The problem is this stupid dealership and the terrible job their tech did. One guy really screwed up everything and the whole place has to now feel my wrath.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Hershey

took it in and service manager had some attitude . Should be interesting . See details at , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=28321&page=2 . Keep us posted . We will as well .
Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Move up the chain. If these bozos can't do the job and the service manager won't listen, just go above them to a Regional Manager.

Good luck.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
08blackyari
slowpoke

So I picked up the car on Friday and the brakes work as they should. But here is where that screwed up again:
-There are still some scratches, which the Service Assistant Manager said they tried their hardest and that was the best they could do. Personally, that B.S.!!! The best they could have done was order in a new part, like they did for the face plate they chipped and the steering wheel cover.
- The car was driven close to 400 miles and given back to me with less than 1/2 a tank!! I gave it to them filled up!! In fact, I also made sure to fill up their loaner car. I mentioned this to the Ass. Manager and he said he would put me in the system for a free oil change. I don't trust them to do anything to my car, even an oil change.

So, after all this here is what I'm going to do: I'm going to call and speak with who ever is above the service manager and relay the story to him and tell him that I'd like them to pay for a new part and not install it, but rather give it to me or send it to another dealer to install. If he says no, I'm going to tell him that I'm filing a formal complaint to all levels of Toyota, and maybe that I'm going to drag their dealerships name through the mud. What do you guys think?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
Hershey

do what you have to do and good luck . We know your strife .

Last edited by Hershey; 09-08-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Be assertive, but don't make threats.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08blackyari View Post
So I picked up the car on Friday and the brakes work as they should. But here is where that screwed up again:
-There are still some scratches, which the Service Assistant Manager said they tried their hardest and that was the best they could do. Personally, that B.S.!!! The best they could have done was order in a new part, like they did for the face plate they chipped and the steering wheel cover.
- The car was driven close to 400 miles and given back to me with less than 1/2 a tank!! I gave it to them filled up!! In fact, I also made sure to fill up their loaner car. I mentioned this to the Ass. Manager and he said he would put me in the system for a free oil change. I don't trust them to do anything to my car, even an oil change.

So, after all this here is what I'm going to do: I'm going to call and speak with who ever is above the service manager and relay the story to him and tell him that I'd like them to pay for a new part and not install it, but rather give it to me or send it to another dealer to install. If he says no, I'm going to tell him that I'm filing a formal complaint to all levels of Toyota, and maybe that I'm going to drag their dealerships name through the mud. What do you guys think?
Call the Toyota customer experience number and this way toyota will get the dealer to do things the way you want to. 1800-331-4331 open up a case tell them you experience, then this people will get on the dealers toes.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #18
08blackyari
slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
Call the Toyota customer experience number and this way toyota will get the dealer to do things the way you want to. 1800-331-4331 open up a case tell them you experience, then this people will get on the dealers toes.
So should I do this before calling the dealer tomorrow?

Tags
dash scratches, dealer problems, seized brakes