Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #55
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
If I let off the throttle, the RPMs nose-dive and the car stalls.
Agreed with Bluevitz; You're letting unmetered air in somewhere, the engine runs lean then dies. It'll be especially noticable while simply idling as compared to driving.

Too bad you don't live a little more north
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #56
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
CTScott has been helping me with some suggestions privately and he believes the cause of the problem was the intake manifold gasket that came with the Blitz kit. The one I received was tan and papery (CTScott's was metal) and was used by the kit's previous owner, but I assumed I could reuse it.

It's the only thing either of us could think of. The vacuum hoses were all connected correctly and the wiring obviously wasn't the problem, since the problem continued after I cut all the wiring out. The MAF was connected to the AFE intake as it has been for about two years now, so it couldn't have been that. The only thing that makes sense is the intake manifold gasket, right?
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #57
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I guess you didn't add any silicone to the gasket when you installed it. The other two entry points would be the top of the unit where the intake is and then further down where the throttle body bolts on.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #58
borozinski

Drives: Scion xB
I was just gonna ask if you guys who have done the supercharger install use silicone. Sounds like it's a good idea from what happened with you. Sucks it happened, but it good for others to hear. It's made my mind up though, to use it. I have a weapon r themal gasket that goes inbetween the intake manifold and the head. I'm wondering if it'd be a bad idea to sandwich that in with silicone. I wanna keep it, since I know I wouldn't even get close to the money I paid for it.
borozinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #59
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I guess you didn't add any silicone to the gasket when you installed it. The other two entry points would be the top of the unit where the intake is and then further down where the throttle body bolts on.
The kit was partially assembled when I received it, so the compressor was already mounted tightly to the intake manifold and I didn't mess with it for fear of breaking any seals and creating a leak.

The throttle body was bolted on just as tightly as it is to the OEM manifold now, so that really only leaves the intake manifold gasket, which I did not use silicone or any kind of gasket sealer on. I assumed it didn't need sealer, since the OEM one doesn't and it didn't look like the previous owner had used any either.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #60
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

The OEM one is like a giant O-ring though. If the one you're using is paper, then there could be high and low spots on it from being used already.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #61
MGargano

Quote:
The OEM one is like a giant O-ring though. If the one you're using is paper, then there could be high and low spots on it from being used already.
Agreed. This definitely seems like the most likely culprit. Any idea where I can find another gasket for this kit? And is the metal one a better idea than the paper?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #62
borozinski

Drives: Scion xB
I know you guys are talking about the Blitz kit, but the Greddy instructions say to use silicone on it. Just throwing it out there, lol.
borozinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #63
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Yeah, just put an 1/8 inch bead of RTV silicone on the gasket, on both sides and around each port and put it back on.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #64
MGargano

Quote:
Yeah, just put an 1/8 inch bead of RTV silicone on the gasket, on both sides and around each port and put it back on.
Use the same paper gasket? Or should I try to find a new one?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #65
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
As long as there's no cracks or obvious damage then you can reuse the old one. The key part is definitely the addition of silicone though. I've reused my turbo oil gaskets without any problems - but I always added some silicone when reapplying.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #66
MGargano

Thanks for the info guys. I feel confident this gasket was definitely the problem. If it's possible, I'd like to be on the safe side this time and pick up a new gasket. Any idea where I can get one?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #67
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

You should be able to get one at your local car parts store. I'd still use a thing layer if silicone on a new gasket just to be certain. <-- if it's paper. A metal type one shouldn't require anything.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #68
MGargano

All I'm seeing are the OEM o-ring style gaskets from local stores, not the flat type that came with the Blitz kit.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #69
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
The Blitz offering is paper.
The oem gasket is a plastic seal that sits in a groove within the plastic intake (just bought one and found out the hard way. Actually less the CDN$7.00 which surprized me).
Go to a performance shop and buy gasket paper material to make you own (grade 9 auto shop) if Blitz cannot be contacted to supply one. They do seem to be MIA as the website shown on the instruction manual is not valid.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.

Last edited by MUSKOKA800; 07-12-2011 at 04:46 PM.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #70
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
The Blitz offering is paper.
The oem gasket is a plastic seal that sits in a groove within the plastic intake (just bought one and found out the hard way. Actually less the CDN$7.00 which surprized me).
Go to a performance shop and buy gasket paper material to make you own (grade 9 auto shop) if Blitz cannot be contacted to supply one. They do seem to be MIA as the website shown on the instruction manual is not valid.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to contact Garm to see if he can help me source one of the Blitz gaskets.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #71
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Blitz USA is no more, all parts must be sourced from Blitz in Japan. I will inquire about it, but this is not something you'd get quickly. I will also look in my spare parts box and see if there is some magic in there.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #72
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Blitz USA is no more, all parts must be sourced from Blitz in Japan. I will inquire about it, but this is not something you'd get quickly. I will also look in my spare parts box and see if there is some magic in there.
Thanks Garm. I wasn't aware Blitz USA was no more and I would assume a little thing like the from Japan would take forever and probably wouldn't be worth it. I was hoping someone had an extra laying around they wouldn't mind parting with.